RE: IVAR Shelving for layout base

  • Melissa Cull
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi Uwe & Ron,

      If I was using it for modules I would build the layout on a small
      lightweight sub-base of it's own rather than directly onto the IVAR or BILLY
      shelving but the shelving makes a fabulous firm base.

      I was going to use the IKEA coffee table with deep glass topped drawer but
      they discontinued it end of 2005:-(

      Kind RegardZ

      Melissa
      UK

    • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
        My thanks .... It seems a trip to IKEA is in my future. I recently purchased
        the glass topped coffee table (with the display drawer)from them to protect my
        misc z structures that await a layout. It works for most that are not too
        tall.
        By the way, I apologize for not deleting the original message. I am writing on
        a treo and don't see how to do it. Sorry! Ron

        Sent by GoodLink (www.good.com)

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hello Alan,

          >> IVAR shelf with a layout

          Thank you for the head up on the possible problems with the system.
          But I think with some thought and planning before you start building
          those can be overcome. The main thing is that I believe that it will
          give a sturdy benchwork to start with.

          > The ivar shelving shelves although "flat" as shelves are not
          > actually always that flat when you stick track anywhere near them.
          > Also if you go across shelves then the differing floor heights of
          > the posts, the variance in shelves needs care.

          At home it won't be the big problem if I first put down a frame on the
          floor to cover for all existing differences, and for abroad, you can
          attach an adjustable screw (those adjustable feet can be had in any
          DIY market for small money) at the bottom of the posts, so you can
          correct any differences wherever you will set up.

          > If you are building track up above the shelf level it isn't a big issue
          > (although the lack of a hollow space beneath rapidly becomes one for
          > wiring and maintenance).

          I would always build the track up from the ground level, because then
          I always have the option to create some areas lower then the track,
          like lakes, river a harbor or a whatever else I might want.

          > I simply cut a piece of MDF in the shape of an Ikea shelf, braced
          > and framed then put that into the Ikea shelving posts.

          this is also a way to extend the distance of the posts, so you can
          create your own size. And possibly also a piece to connect the two
          widths of the posts, if you need that. Those shelves are missing in the
          IVAR system...

          > It saves a lot of carpentary and because I use the big posts I have
          > two layers of storage above the layout instead of waste space.

          and at least one layer below the layout, which can be closed with
          doors from the system (for all those parts that the other half
          shouldn't see so soon... ;-)

          > I can post a few photos if people want.

          That would be grea.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
            melissa,
            We are behind here in Boston! I just purchased it (coffee table) in August! A
            left over? Ron

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
              Hello Melissa,

              > I was going to use the IKEA coffee table with deep glass topped drawer but
              > they discontinued it end of 2005:-(

              I've been looking around for some time to find a decent table that can
              be used as the base for that. Currently the best thing I've seen is
              this at a coffee company (I won't say coffeeshop ;-) ):

              http://tinyurl.com/nbb4a

              with 110cm x 90cm it seems to be a good base for me. I only have to
              get the approval of my wife... ;-)

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                Hi Ron,

                Is that the very light coloured coffee table with the very shallow sectioned
                drawer or the darker more antique coloured one with the deep single drawer?

                I think I just left it too late to get the one I was after, they made it for
                about 5+ years.

                What about doing a layout on a Boston Tea Crate as Boston is supposed to be
                famous for them according to my Irish penfriend that settled in Boston?

                Thanks

                Melissa
                UK

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                  On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:45 +0100, Melissa Cull wrote:
                  > Hi Ron,
                  >
                  > Is that the very light coloured coffee table with the very shallow sectioned
                  > drawer or the darker more antique coloured one with the deep single drawer?

                  I looked at the one from Ikea a couple years ago (single unobstructed
                  drawer). My only concern was that the drawer wasn't very deep and I
                  wanted more vertical in my layout.

                  John
                • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Well, it has a single drawer....painted white, the drawer is about 2 1/2 " deep,
                    the drawer is divided into 4 sections, and the whole table is 36" square. Works
                    pretty well. They had another rectangular shape with a much more shallow
                    drawer.
                    A Tea Chest.... Not a bad idea!.... I fear somebody will throw it in Boston
                    Harbor though!
                    I am still in track planning stage and at this stage am planning on using
                    Woodland Scenics modular system. Comments anyone?
                    Ron

                    Sent by GoodLink (www.good.com)

                    On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:45 +0100, Melissa Cull wrote:
                    > Hi Ron,
                    >
                    > Is that the very light coloured coffee table with the very shallow sectioned
                    > drawer or the darker more antique coloured one with the deep single drawer?

                    I looked at the one from Ikea a couple years ago (single unobstructed
                    drawer). My only concern was that the drawer wasn't very deep and I
                    wanted more vertical in my layout.

                    John
                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                      Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                      > At home it won't be the big problem if I first put down a frame on the
                      > floor to cover for all existing differences, and for abroad, you can
                      > attach an adjustable screw (those adjustable feet can be had in any
                      > DIY market for small money) at the bottom of the posts, so you can
                      > correct any differences wherever you will set up.

                      That isn't quite what I meant - the surface of the shelf itself
                      sometimes curves or bows a bit.

                      > and at least one layer below the layout, which can be closed with
                      > doors from the system (for all those parts that the other half
                      > shouldn't see so soon... ;-)

                      Also for the controls ;)

                      > > I can post a few photos if people want.
                      >
                      > That would be grea.

                      Try and do that tomorrow

                    • Melissa Cull
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                        Hi Ron,

                        That's the new style you have, the older one was much deeper but as Alan
                        said still not very deep for good vertical heights.

                        Floating tea chest Z layout in the harbour maybe a total first?:-)

                        Kind RegardZ

                        Melissa
                        UK

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                          Hi Uwe,

                          Thanks for the tip, will take a look.

                          I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
                          son too.

                          Kind RegardZ

                          Melissa
                          UK

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                            Hello Melissa,

                            > I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
                            > son too.

                            perhaps, if the design fits the rest of our livingroom... ...in her
                            eyes ;-)

                            about the height for my son... well, he's started in 3rd grade just
                            two weeks ago, and is now one of the big kids in school...
                            ...and beware he started with English lessons now, so soon he will
                            read those mails all by himself... ;-)))

                            The main problem about those tables, if one want to build one himself,
                            is to get a glas pane strong enough to be used. I'm still wondering
                            what to use for my other project of about the same size. Just I don't
                            need the strength to have a coffee pot standing on it.

                            A side note:

                            from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
                            London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
                            visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
                            London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
                            me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
                            West End.

                            --
                            GreetingZ
                            Uwe
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                              Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 21:56 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                              > from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
                              > London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
                              > visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
                              > London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
                              > me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
                              > West End.

                              Paddington has some nice architecture although one side is currently
                              impossible to view because the roof is under repair. One station people
                              tend to miss that might interest is Baker Street underground which was
                              in part restored to its original 1914 state a few years ago.

                              Model rail events in the UK:
                              http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/events.html#200610

                              21st October sees a steam service from Finsbury park but most of the
                              other interesting rail (1:1 scale) goings on are some distance from
                              London.

                              What else ...

                              http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/depot_open.shtml

                              again 1:1 scale

                              Personally I'd make sure you go and see some interesting other stuff to
                              visit - lots of good museums, shows, events
                            • KEVIN BRADY
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                Hi Ron,all,
                                A Z-er in Boston,well maybe you can teach me(as the wonderful list has) a few things about Z! Since I moved a few coffee tables today,that sounds like just the ticket to get started in Z-gauge! I am an old Marklin 3-railer,....

                                Dr Dirt

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                                  Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                                  > Hello Alan,
                                  > > I can post a few photos if people want.
                                  >
                                  > That would be grea.

                                  Ok

                                  http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1872.jpg is a shot of the underside
                                  of the small under construction Z layout (yes I know the wiring is a
                                  mess still). It's built as a custom frame with MDF top to the shape of
                                  an Ikea shelf.

                                  http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1873.jpg is the top of the layout
                                  (also with much detailing and other work left to do)

                                  http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1874.jpg is an under construction
                                  image showing the use of hardboard as a layer on top to keep the track
                                  level along with back pieces to avoid accidents. (The curve on the right
                                  one is so that you can still lift the shelf out, which involves tilting
                                  it, in future if the layout is ever dismembered.
                                • Larry Card
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                                    How many Z-ers are in Boston? It looks as if I will be spending about 10
                                    days in Billerica MA, what is a must-see in the area?
                                    V/R
                                    Larry P. Card
                                    Franklinton NC
                                  • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                                      Hi larry,
                                      I only know of of one other active Zer and he is not a active on this list. Not
                                      many of the hobby shops carry a significant amount of z, probably similar to
                                      most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of Boston
                                      heading north and west and this has been taken over by Guilford. Boston has
                                      active commuter rail and is serviced by Amtrack into South Station which has
                                      been restored nicely.
                                      The biggest attractions are non rail however. History with the Freedom Trail,
                                      Kennedy Museum, Fine Arts and Sciences Museums. Don't miss the Duck Tour -
                                      great fun on an amphibius WWII duck. Boston. Com is good source of info. Have
                                      fun!

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                                        Hi Larry,all,
                                        Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                                        There a ton of folks in the area,mostly HO but some also have Z,Gauge, 1,LGB,really friendly too!:-)

                                        Dr Dirt

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                          > Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                                          I wouldn't mind, anything else would be up to the moderators of the
                                          individual groups (cross posting and all that).
                                          V/R
                                          Larry P. Card
                                          Franklinton NC
                                        • Larry Card
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                            >most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of
                                            >Boston

                                            but I would have been more interested in the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn
                                            (narrow gauge)

                                            Thanks for the reply, of course I will have to go see the Constitution now
                                            that they have her masts unstepped...unless they have taken them down for
                                            the winter...
                                            V/R
                                            Larry P. Card
                                            Franklinton NC
                                          • KEVIN BRADY
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 7, 2006
                                              Hi Larry, all,
                                              I believe that 'Old Ironsides" was turned about in June,so she maybe stepped down,but you can still take the tour!
                                              Also if you do get a chance go see the Wenham Museum: http://www.wenhammuseum.org/
                                              Nice train collection,plus a Z-gauge layout scenic by yours truly ;-)

                                              Dr Dirt