Fw: Re: [Z_Scale] September MTL releases ...

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2006
      Alex,
      I talked with Tina at MTL this morning and she said that dealers are being
      encouraged to say October for release date of turnouts.
      They are made, but not packaged up I believe.

      Close, but no cigar just yet,

      Loren, camping on MTL's doorstep.

        On the switches I have asked you to get for me, I don't need no stinkging packaging. It just gets
        thrown away. Save our land fills.
        Ed Scullin

        --- Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

        > Alex,
        > I talked with Tina at MTL this morning and she said that dealers are being
        > encouraged to say October for release date of turnouts.
        > They are made, but not packaged up I believe.
        >
        > Close, but no cigar just yet,
        >
        > Loren, camping on MTL's doorstep.

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hello Loren,

          > Loren, camping on MTL's doorstep.

          don't catch a cold on those concrete steps, you can't afford to sneeze
          while making your trees... or they will look like the trees on Mt. St.
          Helens... ;-))

          but while you're just at the right place as it seems, I would like to
          ask this question:

          Will there be a powered version of the turnouts? (...and when might
          that be?)

          I remember in the first pics we saw of the turnouts they had a
          mechanism of some kind at the side. Unfortunately it looked a bit to
          big. And if I remember correct it also was on the straight side of the
          turnout.

          Alternatively I would be happy to learn about how to power the
          turnouts with a underground turnout motor.

          All this is because I want to make our local IKEA store happy, because
          I have this idea about a new IVAR shelf with a layout (IVAR seems the
          perfect choice to make modules that can be set up at home or
          elsewhere. You even get the benchwork in the system :-) ). But for
          this I also would like to have at least the 220mm radii, and probably
          some of the shorter length of straight track pieces.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
            IVAR Uwe? What is this? Ron

            Sent by GoodLink (www.good.com)

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
              Hi Ron,

              The Swedish Furniture stores IKEA's IVAR is a very versatile flat pack mix
              and match shelving system made of solid wood with hidden steel pins, bars
              and crossmembers at the back. It's available in two widths and has cupboard
              options too. I've seen an N or Z scale layout built on it and it's very
              strong but quite lightweight. I use IVAR bookshelves for my research books
              as it's very strong.

              Kind RegardZ

              Melissa
              UK

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 10:12 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                > All this is because I want to make our local IKEA store happy, because
                > I have this idea about a new IVAR shelf with a layout (IVAR seems the
                > perfect choice to make modules that can be set up at home or
                > elsewhere. You even get the benchwork in the system :-) ). But for
                > this I also would like to have at least the 220mm radii, and probably
                > some of the shorter length of straight track pieces.

                I've got a couple of layouts built on Ivar shelving and it is not a
                perfect solution by any means. The ivar shelving shelves although "flat"
                as shelves are not actually always that flat when you stick track
                anywhere near them. Also if you go across shelves then the differing
                floor heights of the posts, the variance in shelves needs care.

                It's also a PITA to put track pins in as you get hard areas in the
                board.

                If you are building track up above the shelf level it isn't a big issue
                (although the lack of a hollow space beneath rapidly becomes one for
                wiring and maintenance).

                I've got two layouts built on Ivar. One of them I laid a sheet of
                hardboard over and screwed it down so I got a flat surface (and the
                hardboard is arranged so pieces of hardboard span all the inter-shelf
                gaps so there is a smooth transition). The other I simply cut a piece of
                MDF in the shape of an Ikea shelf, braced and framed then put that into
                the Ikea shelving posts.

                That said I have built both N and Z scale layouts using Ivar shelving
                modules and the layout I am building at the moment (in N) is also mostly
                built on Ivar shelving. It saves a lot of carpentary and because I use
                the big posts I have two layers of storage above the layout instead of
                waste space.

                I can post a few photos if people want.

                Alan
              • Uwe Liermann
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Hello Melissa & Ron,

                  > IKEA's IVAR is a shelving system

                  and it has one big advantage in another aspect:

                  it is around since IKEA started years ago, and I believe it won't go
                  away for the next decades.
                  I have another shelve system (not from IKEA but with the same features
                  except just in one width) in use that after a few years were taken
                  from the assortment in the furniture store. Unfortunately just about 4
                  month before I needed some more parts to extend my book shelve...

                  Even BILLY (another gem at IKEA) isn't around that long in the same
                  sizes. I got some 90cm at first, and now they have only 80cm and 60cm.
                  But since it is a shelv with closed sides, it isn't much use for
                  bigger layouts anyway. But if I remember right then even BILLY was used
                  as a base for small layouts. Since it is only 27cm deep it is a good
                  base for dioramas and such. And nowadays you also can get glasdoors for
                  BILLY... just not for the 90cm version anymore.... :-(

                  --
                  GreetingZ
                  Uwe
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Hi Uwe & Ron,

                    If I was using it for modules I would build the layout on a small
                    lightweight sub-base of it's own rather than directly onto the IVAR or BILLY
                    shelving but the shelving makes a fabulous firm base.

                    I was going to use the IKEA coffee table with deep glass topped drawer but
                    they discontinued it end of 2005:-(

                    Kind RegardZ

                    Melissa
                    UK

                  • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                      My thanks .... It seems a trip to IKEA is in my future. I recently purchased
                      the glass topped coffee table (with the display drawer)from them to protect my
                      misc z structures that await a layout. It works for most that are not too
                      tall.
                      By the way, I apologize for not deleting the original message. I am writing on
                      a treo and don't see how to do it. Sorry! Ron

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                        Hello Alan,

                        >> IVAR shelf with a layout

                        Thank you for the head up on the possible problems with the system.
                        But I think with some thought and planning before you start building
                        those can be overcome. The main thing is that I believe that it will
                        give a sturdy benchwork to start with.

                        > The ivar shelving shelves although "flat" as shelves are not
                        > actually always that flat when you stick track anywhere near them.
                        > Also if you go across shelves then the differing floor heights of
                        > the posts, the variance in shelves needs care.

                        At home it won't be the big problem if I first put down a frame on the
                        floor to cover for all existing differences, and for abroad, you can
                        attach an adjustable screw (those adjustable feet can be had in any
                        DIY market for small money) at the bottom of the posts, so you can
                        correct any differences wherever you will set up.

                        > If you are building track up above the shelf level it isn't a big issue
                        > (although the lack of a hollow space beneath rapidly becomes one for
                        > wiring and maintenance).

                        I would always build the track up from the ground level, because then
                        I always have the option to create some areas lower then the track,
                        like lakes, river a harbor or a whatever else I might want.

                        > I simply cut a piece of MDF in the shape of an Ikea shelf, braced
                        > and framed then put that into the Ikea shelving posts.

                        this is also a way to extend the distance of the posts, so you can
                        create your own size. And possibly also a piece to connect the two
                        widths of the posts, if you need that. Those shelves are missing in the
                        IVAR system...

                        > It saves a lot of carpentary and because I use the big posts I have
                        > two layers of storage above the layout instead of waste space.

                        and at least one layer below the layout, which can be closed with
                        doors from the system (for all those parts that the other half
                        shouldn't see so soon... ;-)

                        > I can post a few photos if people want.

                        That would be grea.

                        --
                        GreetingZ
                        Uwe
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                          melissa,
                          We are behind here in Boston! I just purchased it (coffee table) in August! A
                          left over? Ron

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                            Hello Melissa,

                            > I was going to use the IKEA coffee table with deep glass topped drawer but
                            > they discontinued it end of 2005:-(

                            I've been looking around for some time to find a decent table that can
                            be used as the base for that. Currently the best thing I've seen is
                            this at a coffee company (I won't say coffeeshop ;-) ):

                            http://tinyurl.com/nbb4a

                            with 110cm x 90cm it seems to be a good base for me. I only have to
                            get the approval of my wife... ;-)

                            --
                            GreetingZ
                            Uwe
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                              Hi Ron,

                              Is that the very light coloured coffee table with the very shallow sectioned
                              drawer or the darker more antique coloured one with the deep single drawer?

                              I think I just left it too late to get the one I was after, they made it for
                              about 5+ years.

                              What about doing a layout on a Boston Tea Crate as Boston is supposed to be
                              famous for them according to my Irish penfriend that settled in Boston?

                              Thanks

                              Melissa
                              UK

                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:45 +0100, Melissa Cull wrote:
                                > Hi Ron,
                                >
                                > Is that the very light coloured coffee table with the very shallow sectioned
                                > drawer or the darker more antique coloured one with the deep single drawer?

                                I looked at the one from Ikea a couple years ago (single unobstructed
                                drawer). My only concern was that the drawer wasn't very deep and I
                                wanted more vertical in my layout.

                                John
                              • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                  Well, it has a single drawer....painted white, the drawer is about 2 1/2 " deep,
                                  the drawer is divided into 4 sections, and the whole table is 36" square. Works
                                  pretty well. They had another rectangular shape with a much more shallow
                                  drawer.
                                  A Tea Chest.... Not a bad idea!.... I fear somebody will throw it in Boston
                                  Harbor though!
                                  I am still in track planning stage and at this stage am planning on using
                                  Woodland Scenics modular system. Comments anyone?

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                    Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                                    > At home it won't be the big problem if I first put down a frame on the
                                    > floor to cover for all existing differences, and for abroad, you can
                                    > attach an adjustable screw (those adjustable feet can be had in any
                                    > DIY market for small money) at the bottom of the posts, so you can
                                    > correct any differences wherever you will set up.

                                    That isn't quite what I meant - the surface of the shelf itself
                                    sometimes curves or bows a bit.

                                    > and at least one layer below the layout, which can be closed with
                                    > doors from the system (for all those parts that the other half
                                    > shouldn't see so soon... ;-)

                                    Also for the controls ;)

                                    > > I can post a few photos if people want.
                                    >
                                    > That would be grea.

                                    Try and do that tomorrow

                                  • Melissa Cull
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                      Hi Ron,

                                      That's the new style you have, the older one was much deeper but as Alan
                                      said still not very deep for good vertical heights.

                                      Floating tea chest Z layout in the harbour maybe a total first?:-)

                                      Kind RegardZ

                                      Melissa
                                      UK

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                        Hi Uwe,

                                        Thanks for the tip, will take a look.

                                        I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
                                        son too.

                                        Kind RegardZ

                                        Melissa
                                        UK

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                          Hello Melissa,

                                          > I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
                                          > son too.

                                          perhaps, if the design fits the rest of our livingroom... ...in her
                                          eyes ;-)

                                          about the height for my son... well, he's started in 3rd grade just
                                          two weeks ago, and is now one of the big kids in school...
                                          ...and beware he started with English lessons now, so soon he will
                                          read those mails all by himself... ;-)))

                                          The main problem about those tables, if one want to build one himself,
                                          is to get a glas pane strong enough to be used. I'm still wondering
                                          what to use for my other project of about the same size. Just I don't
                                          need the strength to have a coffee pot standing on it.

                                          A side note:

                                          from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
                                          London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
                                          visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
                                          London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
                                          me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
                                          West End.

                                          --
                                          GreetingZ
                                          Uwe
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                            Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 21:56 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                                            > from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
                                            > London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
                                            > visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
                                            > London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
                                            > me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
                                            > West End.

                                            Paddington has some nice architecture although one side is currently
                                            impossible to view because the roof is under repair. One station people
                                            tend to miss that might interest is Baker Street underground which was
                                            in part restored to its original 1914 state a few years ago.

                                            Model rail events in the UK:
                                            http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/events.html#200610

                                            21st October sees a steam service from Finsbury park but most of the
                                            other interesting rail (1:1 scale) goings on are some distance from
                                            London.

                                            What else ...

                                            http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/depot_open.shtml

                                            again 1:1 scale

                                            Personally I'd make sure you go and see some interesting other stuff to
                                            visit - lots of good museums, shows, events
                                          • KEVIN BRADY
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                                              Hi Ron,all,
                                              A Z-er in Boston,well maybe you can teach me(as the wonderful list has) a few things about Z! Since I moved a few coffee tables today,that sounds like just the ticket to get started in Z-gauge! I am an old Marklin 3-railer,....

                                              Dr Dirt

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                                                > Hello Alan,
                                                > > I can post a few photos if people want.
                                                >
                                                > That would be grea.

                                                Ok

                                                http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1872.jpg is a shot of the underside
                                                of the small under construction Z layout (yes I know the wiring is a
                                                mess still). It's built as a custom frame with MDF top to the shape of
                                                an Ikea shelf.

                                                http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1873.jpg is the top of the layout
                                                (also with much detailing and other work left to do)

                                                http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1874.jpg is an under construction
                                                image showing the use of hardboard as a layer on top to keep the track
                                                level along with back pieces to avoid accidents. (The curve on the right
                                                one is so that you can still lift the shelf out, which involves tilting
                                                it, in future if the layout is ever dismembered.
                                              • Larry Card
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                  How many Z-ers are in Boston? It looks as if I will be spending about 10
                                                  days in Billerica MA, what is a must-see in the area?
                                                  V/R
                                                  Larry P. Card
                                                  Franklinton NC
                                                • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                    Hi larry,
                                                    I only know of of one other active Zer and he is not a active on this list. Not
                                                    many of the hobby shops carry a significant amount of z, probably similar to
                                                    most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of Boston
                                                    heading north and west and this has been taken over by Guilford. Boston has
                                                    active commuter rail and is serviced by Amtrack into South Station which has
                                                    been restored nicely.
                                                    The biggest attractions are non rail however. History with the Freedom Trail,
                                                    Kennedy Museum, Fine Arts and Sciences Museums. Don't miss the Duck Tour -
                                                    great fun on an amphibius WWII duck. Boston. Com is good source of info. Have
                                                    fun!

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                                                      Hi Larry,all,
                                                      Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                                                      There a ton of folks in the area,mostly HO but some also have Z,Gauge, 1,LGB,really friendly too!:-)

                                                      Dr Dirt

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                                        > Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                                                        I wouldn't mind, anything else would be up to the moderators of the
                                                        individual groups (cross posting and all that).
                                                        V/R
                                                        Larry P. Card
                                                        Franklinton NC
                                                      • Larry Card
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                                          >most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of
                                                          >Boston

                                                          but I would have been more interested in the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn
                                                          (narrow gauge)

                                                          Thanks for the reply, of course I will have to go see the Constitution now
                                                          that they have her masts unstepped...unless they have taken them down for
                                                          the winter...
                                                          V/R
                                                          Larry P. Card
                                                          Franklinton NC
                                                        • KEVIN BRADY
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Sep 7, 2006
                                                            Hi Larry, all,
                                                            I believe that 'Old Ironsides" was turned about in June,so she maybe stepped down,but you can still take the tour!
                                                            Also if you do get a chance go see the Wenham Museum: http://www.wenhammuseum.org/
                                                            Nice train collection,plus a Z-gauge layout scenic by yours truly ;-)

                                                            Dr Dirt