Introduction and Question

  • wtbar1
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
      Hi, everyone,

      Just an intro - I'm interested in N gauge and possibly Z.

      Is there *anything* in the way of Japanese prototypes in Z or a gauge
      smaller than N?

      Thanks

      Bill
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
        Ar Mer, 2006-08-30 am 03:51 +0000, ysgrifennodd wtbar1:
        > Hi, everyone,
        >
        > Just an intro - I'm interested in N gauge and possibly Z.
        >
        > Is there *anything* in the way of Japanese prototypes in Z or a gauge
        > smaller than N?

        A little bit, not a lot. Search for "takara micro gauge"

        Even smaller although currently not a lot more than a loop of track and
        train are the Bandai ZZ (1:300) scale. The original releases were three
        shinkansen, the newest three add narita express and some other EMUs as
        well as bridges. Nothing like pointwork available although the little
        sets are very cheap so an interesting amusement and a challenge for
        anyone into hand laid 4.8mm pointwork ...

        Given the mechanical constraints of current Z gauge (notably the very
        long pointwork from Marklin) N actually tends to take less or the same
        space than Z and N is so huge in Japan (Kato, Tomix etc) it's perhaps
        not suprising the range below N is so limited.

        Alan
      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
          Don't forget Harald Freudenreich's Japanese Z

          http://www.fr-model.de

          True Z scale!

          Hobo Tim

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "wtbar1" <WTBAR@...> wrote:

          > Hi, everyone,
          >
          > Just an intro - I'm interested in N gauge and possibly Z.
          >
          > Is there *anything* in the way of Japanese prototypes in Z or a
          gauge
          > smaller than N?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Bill

        • Stephen Moore
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
            There is an article about what is currently available in Z, that is
            now out in Z track magazine, After trying for 4 months, I am still
            trying to get a Z scale Akira type train, mentioned in the article,
            but have had no success. I, or I should say We, at the Texas and
            Beyond, are about to start our J project, which is a recreation of
            the tokyo rail system, but it will be in N, only because of the
            availability of product in N scale. I think, if they had the same
            availability, i would choose Z.
            Let me know if you want to talk more about Z and N in japanese.
            Stephen Moore
            Texas and Beyond in Plano, TX.
            katherinesdaddy@...

          • WTBAR@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
              Many thanks - I looked at the web site and it looks interesting - a little expensive, but at least it (may be) available.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
                Alan,
                Many thanks for the information. I'm planning a small layout modeling the Chichibu Line in Japan and thought I'd try Z if anything was available.
                Your comment about 'taking the same space' is valuable - I may just go N, since so much is available. (Unfortunately I have just 84 by 32 inches...)
                Bill

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
                  Bill,

                  The current issue of Ztrack (July/August) has an article on Japanese Z Scale.
                  The article covers manufacturers and products available for the Japanese Z
                  scaler. The November/December issue of Ztrack will run a follow-up article on
                  building a Japanese Z scale layout.

                  As you mentioned, there are more items available in N than Z for Japanese
                  enthusiasts. Fortunately, we are seeing interest grow and more products being
                  released.

                  Rob Kluz
                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  www.ztrack.com

                • Garth Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
                    At 02:02 PM 8/30/2006, "wtbar1" WTBAR@... wrote:

                    Z-scale is just now coming alive in Japan. It has taken someone
                    outside the established N-scale manufacturers of Kato, Tomix, Green
                    Max, Micro Ace, Kawai, and Modemo to start it. Akia has announced for
                    later this year two new sets of the 485 express in the colours of the
                    named express trains The Swans, and The Super Snow Grouse. Their web
                    site says they are also working on a famous streetcar tooling but no
                    specific dates were mentioned. Akia is the only manufacturer
                    modelling 1:220 on 6.5mm track. This is a compromise as the 485
                    express runs at 110kmh on Meter gauge track (39 inches). In the
                    Harald Thom-Freudenreich's article in July/August issue of Ztrack he
                    refers to it as Akira. However the stamp in the casting of the cars says Akia.

                    Something that is compatible in some ways is M Gauge by Takara. While
                    the engine and cars will sit on Z-scale track they do not run well on
                    6.5mm track as they were designed to run on a plastic depressed track
                    system of their own. As Harald Thom-Freudenreich (FR ) stated there
                    scale is !:200 for height and width but are 1:220 in length. This
                    means the cars are slight shorter than they would have been if they
                    had kept to !:200 for length as well. I have purchased a number of
                    pieces of this of rolling stock and a couple of engines and have
                    converted them to run on z-scale track using MTL passenger trucks and
                    body mounted 905 couplers. I have also created a C57 steam engine and
                    something that looks like an ED75 electric diesel. You may see this
                    written up in Ztrack in the future. Where Takara goes with this next
                    I am not sure. They have joined forces with Tomy (maker of Tomix and
                    Tomytec) to become Tomy-Takara. What affect this will have on these
                    train sets I am not sure.

                    So from my experience in Japanese N-scale I would say that in N-scale
                    almost anything is possible and available but in Z-scale it is in its
                    infancy and very little is available on a very limited scale. There
                    is a Japanese English Speaking Global Group on Yahoo.

                    regards
                    Garth

                  • FR.model@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                      <WTBAR@...> schrieb:
                      > Alan,
                      > Many thanks for the information. I'm planning a small layout modeling the Chichibu Line in Japan and thought I'd try Z if anything was available.
                      > Your comment about 'taking the same space' is valuable - I may just go N, since so much is available. (Unfortunately I have just 84 by 32 inches...)
                      > Bill

                      Bill,

                      Is this pure chance or destiny?
                      Our next Japanese items to be released is the class ED27 02 of the Myagi Electric Railway
                      and the four axle 1-Bay hopper of the Chi-Chi-bu Rwy.

                      Harald

                      FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK
                      Harald Freudenreich
                      Schwarzer Weg 1B
                      D-18190 Sanitz/Meckl.

                      phone: +49 38209 49160 fax: 49161 e-mail: FR.model@... internet: www.fr-model.de
                    • WTBAR@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                        Harald,

                        I like your products very much. It just seems like there's such a small market niche for Japanese prototypes except, of course, in Japan.

                        Bill