MRC 220 Power Pack waveforms

  • Russ Meier
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hello everyone. I hooked the MRC Tech 4 power pack up to the
      oscilloscope today and took a bunch of waveform shots for us. I also
      called MRC and asked "can you use this supply with the GP35 if they
      say not to use pulsed power". The tech support guy there said "ask
      microtrains to be safe." So, Joe, can you give us a definitive
      answer for you definition of pulsed power?

      I posted the waveforms as a PDF file in the FILES section of this
      group. You will see a new folder called power pack data or something
      like that and it's in there. Basic summary: while the waveforms
      exhibit pulsing, they are low frequency pulses on a rectified
      standard 60 Hz sinusoid. Pulsed power (according to a power guy I
      know) is typically rail-to-rail squarewaves at higher frequencies and
      higher peak voltages. So -- we should be able to use this type of
      power pack with the GP35. BUT: JOE D'AMATO! Can you look at the
      power pack file and confirm that it is ok for the GP35 or simply give
      us a definition of what Microtrains means when it says "Don't use
      pulsed power." Does microtrains mean PWM waveforms (rail-to-rail at
      higher voltages and higher currents)?

      Russ Meier
      Milwaukee, WI
      MILW, UP, and CP in Z