Re: POWER PACKS

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Russ Meier" <agentink_and_zfan@...>
      wrote:
      I was given an MRC Tech 4 220 power pack today -- new, unopened. Of
      > course, as an MRC product, the literature does not state "we do not
      use pulse power" or
      > "we do use pulse power".

      Russ,

      You have just picked on one of my pet peeves. Why is it that one can
      go to a stereo emporium and every speaker system package has the
      frequency response curve printed right on the box (for whatever its
      worth), yet model rail power pack manufacturers do not supply the
      technical details of their output waveforms and voltages in their
      product literature?

      None of my MRC power packs use square PWM 'pulse' power; all are
      variable voltage. My MRC 1400 and 1440 use interleaved half wave sine
      with variable peak voltage, my MRC 2800 has a beautiful variable DC
      level with superimposed trapezoid excursions that is great for slow
      speed, my MRC 1370s have a manufacturing defect that results in full
      wave variable peak sine instead of half wave. But with all these
      differences in the various models from the same manufacturer, you are
      wise to question the MRC Tech 4 220. Who knows?

      You have some options...

      1) Contact MRC and ask. Good luck. I gave up a long time ago with
      trying to get any customer support technical info out of them. The
      tech there was somewhat miffed when I asked if he could haul out his
      scope and make a measurement on the 1370. Maybe it was too heavy for
      him to lift off the shelf and blow the dust off it.

      2) Find someone with an oscilloscope and get them to look at the power
      pack output. Maybe you know someone who knows someone who belongs to
      a ham radio club, or attends a technical school, or works at a tech
      place where they could bring in the power pack and spend 5 minutes to
      measure its output on a scope.

      to accumulate data on various power packs and their suitability for Z
      scale. The files section there has a Peak Pulse Detection circuit
      that can be used along with a standard voltmeter to measure peak
      voltage from a power pack to at least tell you if variable or PWM.

      If you should have success with item 2), please snap some scope photos
      and post them on the Z_Scale_Electronics photos to add to the collection.
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "choirguydotcom" <choirguy@...>
        wrote:

        > The power pack with the starter set does seem like a good idea;
        > however, the question remains if it is economical for MicroTrains
        > do this. They modify MRC power packs and sell them
        > independently...but how many starter sets do they sell, and would
        > there be enough supply of power packs to include them in the
        starter
        > sets? Additionally, add the extra cost of the power pack PLUS the
        > additional cost for shipping (weight) and new packaging in the
        deal.
        > This all probably adds up to an additional $50 per starter set,
        which
        > (although reasonably priced for z scale) are already $200 more
        > expensive than HO sets.
        >
        > Perhaps a better plan would be a discount coupon towards the
        purchase
        > of a power pack, either for the store carrying the product, or
        > directly from Micro-Trains.
        >
        > It's just an idea.
        >
        > Chris

        Chris, Good job on this posting. Let me say this. With all the
        feedback on this subject. With all the seemingly overwelming
        evidence that MTL will sell more sets if they include a
        small "kitchen table top" powerpack, how can they afford NOT to? Put
        another way, let's say they sell 1000 sets without a powerpack.
        Let's say they can sell 10,000 sets with one. I hated econ in
        college, but I would say I would rather sell 10,000 sets. In the
        long run the increase in Z scalers will much more than offset the
        repackaging and shipping costs. Let's face it, MTL models North
        American and virtually all those 10,000 set buyers that stick with Z
        will purchase MORE from MTL. Then as they grow the scale they will
        more fully realize that there are other Z manufactures and hopefully
        they become spenders all over the Z market. My San Diego
        trainstores are selling $450 Marklin sets, powerpack included, year
        round and especially at Christmas time. They won't even order the
        sets from MTL. Well? I like the voucher/coupon idea. But this has
        to be able to be used before the customer leaves the store. They
        can't discover the voucher at home or under the Xmas tree. So here
        we have to rely on the sales clerks to actually do their job. Risky
        at best. Trust me on this>a shameless theft of a movie line< "If
        you put it in they will buy." Face another fact. Purchasers are lazy
        at best. You have to have it all there for them. Econ 101, day 1.
        Cheers, Jim A New CCRR
      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 2, 2006
          Ar Mer, 2006-08-02 am 05:52 +0000, ysgrifennodd choirguydotcom:

          > Perhaps a better plan would be a discount coupon towards the purchase
          > of a power pack, either for the store carrying the product, or
          > directly from Micro-Trains.

          It needs to be complete. Thats something Marklin got figured out right.
          Controller, wires, instructions, track, train and in some cases even
          scenery kits. People will be wary of coupons and it will not work for
          presents because they don't want to inflict the ordering hassle on
          others.

          The controller doesn't have to be *good*, it doesn't have to be bulky
          and it doesn't even need to be mains powered. It does need to meet the
          "assemble and it works" requirement. A little 9v battery controller,
          with a few speed settings is quite sufficient. It will survive christmas
          or birthday day and the rest will follow.

          A coupon for a matching wall-wart for when they get annoyed by the
          battery might well work.

          <Cynical MBA mode on>
          In fact there is a good chance people with a battery controller and
          coupon will pay *more* for their add-on wall wart than at the local
          superstore and do so willingly to be sure its compatible. At that point
          the coupon is actually a business opportunity in itself.
          </Cyncial MBA mode off>

          Alan
        • HermannZFriends
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
            There's one point missing in all discussions up to now:

            At the moment MTL is just responsable for their tracks, Locos and cars ...

            If they really add a powerpack, they will not only have higher costs due to the power pack .. but they will also be responsable for any possible electrical danger !

            I think, that's also one of the reasons, Joerger ( Jeremy ) offer their throttle ( ?speed contoller ? ) without any power pack and only mention the 9V Batteries in their description!

            Read once the new maerklin Z brochure ( Jahrbuch ) - due to new EC laws they will discontinue the current Transformerspeedcontrollers ... and with the new starter sets the controller will be delivered with seperate a wall mount Transformer !

            Especially in the US where u even are responsable for a hot cup of coffee and u have to pay millions of bucks if the coffee is too hot, might be that it ' s just too dangerous .. to sell starter sets with power packs !

            rgds

            Hermann

            Ar Mer, 2006-08-02 am 05:52 +0000, ysgrifennodd choirguydotcom:

            > Perhaps a better plan would be a discount coupon towards the purchase
            > of a power pack, either for the store carrying the product, or
            > directly from Micro-Trains.

            It needs to be complete. Thats something Marklin got figured out right.
            Controller, wires, instructions, track, train and in some cases even
            scenery kits. People will be wary of coupons and it will not work for
            presents because they don't want to inflict the ordering hassle on
            others.

            The controller doesn't have to be *good*, it doesn't have to be bulky
            and it doesn't even need to be mains powered. It does need to meet the
            "assemble and it works" requirement. A little 9v battery controller,
            with a few speed settings is quite sufficient. It will survive christmas
            or birthday day and the rest will follow.

            A coupon for a matching wall-wart for when they get annoyed by the
            battery might well work.

            <Cynical MBA mode on>
            In fact there is a good chance people with a battery controller and
            coupon will pay *more* for their add-on wall wart than at the local
            superstore and do so willingly to be sure its compatible. At that point
            the coupon is actually a business opportunity in itself.
            </Cyncial MBA mode off>

            Alan

          • bobfage2000
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "HermannZFriends" <hermannfb@...>
              wrote:

              > There's one point missing in all discussions up to now:
              >

              > I think, that's also one of the reasons, Joerger ( Jeremy ) offer
              their throttle ( ?speed contoller ? ) without any power pack and only
              mention the 9V Batteries in their description!

              >> Hermann
              >

              > I think you are wrong Herman..... Jeremy Brandon does supply a
              power unit of sorts.. it allows his controllers to go from a mains
              power step down to the 9 volts.. I have one.. I also have supplied
              them to Australia to friends. Ok it is not directly plugged intot he
              wall, but it is still much more than a battery and would have all the
              implications of EEC law (I am a UK lawyer)... While we in the UK do
              not have the same problems legally wise as the USA, we are not that
              far behind. Bob Fage (in the UK)

              01.08.2006

            • HermannZFriends
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                Dear Bob,

                let me tell you as a former collegue ...
                it makes a difference ... if you sell powerpack and controller as a unit or as package ... or if you sell a controller and as well a transformer ( whatever you will do with that transformer ) because the customer is responsible for what he will do with the seperate purchased transformer .... and not You !

                :-)))) Hermann

                > There's one point missing in all discussions up to now:
                >

                > I think, that's also one of the reasons, Joerger ( Jeremy ) offer
                their throttle ( ?speed contoller ? ) without any power pack and only
                mention the 9V Batteries in their description!

                >> Hermann
                >

                > I think you are wrong Herman..... Jeremy Brandon does supply a
                power unit of sorts.. it allows his controllers to go from a mains
                power step down to the 9 volts.. I have one.. I also have supplied
                them to Australia to friends. Ok it is not directly plugged intot he
                wall, but it is still much more than a battery and would have all the
                implications of EEC law (I am a UK lawyer)... While we in the UK do
                not have the same problems legally wise as the USA, we are not that
                far behind. Bob Fage (in the UK)

                01.08.2006

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Ar Iau, 2006-08-03 am 15:46 +0000, ysgrifennodd bobfage2000:
                  > > I think you are wrong Herman..... Jeremy Brandon does supply a
                  > power unit of sorts.. it allows his controllers to go from a mains
                  > power step down to the 9 volts.. I have one.. I also have supplied
                  > them to Australia to friends. Ok it is not directly plugged intot he
                  > wall, but it is still much more than a battery and would have all the
                  > implications of EEC law (I am a UK lawyer)... While we in the UK do

                  For the EU a product that is sold commercially should have an EC mark on
                  it meaning it meets relevant safety standards, even if imported. It must
                  also meet standards of materials and recyclability. These are all much
                  like FCC approval and so forth in the USA.

                  A device which is mains powered and contains an internal mains
                  transformer has to meet a set of tests that are far more stringent than
                  those with a 9v battery (for reasons I'd hope are obvious). That makes
                  it more cost effective - as with US safety regulations - to use an
                  external ready tested mass market wall-wart than build your own for low
                  volume product.

                  This has been noticable very recently because the recycling rules now
                  ban most lead solder in commercial electrical appliance (we like our
                  children smart not dumb) and with that forcing some vendors to
                  redesign/recertify old polluting products they chose to go the wallwart
                  path.

                  MTL will already be having to meet a suprisingly large number of safety
                  rules for the locomotives, the plastics used, the paint and so forth.

                  > not have the same problems legally wise as the USA, we are not that
                  > far behind. Bob Fage (in the UK)

                  We only think that, the statistics put us thankfully well behind. I just
                  wish the politicians would stop trying to catch up.
                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Hermann;

                    After spending over 40 years in the courtrooms throughout North America
                    including all 50 of the United States and many locations in Canada plus
                    many other foreign countries, I must respectively disagree with you that
                    the customer is responsible for himself. I agree it SHOULD be that way,
                    but United States is a very litigious society, and jury results sometime
                    border along the line of insanity.

                    .don

                    > There's one point missing in all discussions up to now:
                    >

                    > I think, that's also one of the reasons, Joerger ( Jeremy ) offer
                    their throttle ( ?speed contoller ? ) without any power pack and only
                    mention the 9V Batteries in their description!

                    >> Hermann
                    >

                    > I think you are wrong Herman..... Jeremy Brandon does supply a
                    power unit of sorts.. it allows his controllers to go from a mains
                    power step down to the 9 volts.. I have one.. I also have supplied
                    them to Australia to friends. Ok it is not directly plugged intot he
                    wall, but it is still much more than a battery and would have all the
                    implications of EEC law (I am a UK lawyer)... While we in the UK do
                    not have the same problems legally wise as the USA, we are not that
                    far behind. Bob Fage (in the UK)

                    01.08.2006

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                      > I asked him "If
                      > Microtrains packaged a power pack in their
                      > starter sets, would that help your sales?" He said
                      > "Oh yeah -- every week I have people in
                      > condos and apartments looking at Mictotrains Z sets
                      > but they don't buy because they'd
                      > have to spend $50 to $100 on a power pack too". I
                      > know we've hashed this out on the list,
                      > but I wanted to write it so that if Joe read it, he
                      > could add it to his "empirical" collection of
                      > data for use in marketing and product planning.
                      >
                      > Russ Meier
                      > Milwaukee, WI
                      > MILW, UP, and CP in Z.

                      BTW, I remember my first HO french prototype train set
                      when I was 7. None of that now defunct manufacturer's
                      starter set was sold with a power pack....The power
                      packs always were a different feature.....

                      Dominique

                      http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
                    • HFB Z friends
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Don ...

                        so you agree to my arguments, that there's a difference in responsability
                        between
                        selling controllers and selling transformers ...as well
                        or selling a package of controller and transformer as a unit ??

                        You know, I do not speak about international markets but about the growing
                        US market !

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                          > when I was 7. None of that now defunct manufacturer's
                          > starter set was sold with a power pack....The power
                          > packs always were a different feature.....

                          I did a brief survey of UK sets to see what gets sold here:

                          - Bachmann include a controller. High end stuff a very basic DCC
                          controller. All are "wall wart" plugins
                          - Hornby include a controller. Premier ("high end" adult aimed) sets
                          have a non wallwart dual controller
                          - Marklin ship a controller with their sets, varying from a naff battery
                          controller to a real one
                          - Fleischmann ship a controller
                          - Kato seems more to ship controller with track set and then train packs

                          Nobody does sets with no controller
                        • Allan Miller
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                            Coming in late here, but I don't understand all the fuss being made
                            over a transformer (actually, a power pack, I believe) for Z.

                            Seems to me there's a real need for a dedicated pack for Z scalers,
                            just as there are power packs and transformers offered by
                            manufacturers--in sets and separately--in nearly all of the other
                            scales, if not all of them. It has been that way for many years.

                            Doesn't matter to me if the pack coes as part of a set or is sold
                            separately. The need is still there, in my opinion. I wouldn't
                            expect MT to get involved in the power pack manufacturing business,
                            but it seems like someone--MRC, for example--could easily pick up the
                            ball and run with it if they determined there was a market (based on
                            more factual information than simply the desires posted on a forum or
                            elsewhere).

                            Perhaps I'm wrong about that, and the market is doing well enough
                            without that important item, but I still think it's something that has
                            been long overlooked.

                            And the safety issue is pretty much a non-issue, as I see it. I don't
                            think I've ever heard of anyone being seriously injured by using these
                            devices, including the large-output models used in Large Scale and O
                            gauge, and I've been following the hobby in several scales for many years.

                            The economics of the thing I can understand--it may simply be too
                            small a market to justify the manufacturing expense involved--but
                            consumer safety concerns, even in this highly litiguous society,
                            should certainly not be a deal breaker, at least in my opinion.
                          • dpstripe@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 3, 2006
                              Doesn't MT still market the MRC 1300 "externally modified" for Z scale?
                              Dan S.

                            • bobfage2000
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006
                                wrote:

                                > Dear Bob,
                                >
                                > let me tell you as a former collegue ...
                                > it makes a difference ... if you sell powerpack and controller as a
                                unit or as package ... or if you sell a controller and as well a
                                transformer ( whatever you will do with that transformer ) because
                                the customer is responsible for what he will do with the seperate
                                purchased transformer .... and not You !

                                > :-)))) Hermann
                                >
                                > Hi Herman,

                                I was talking about product liabilty. for example Jeremy Brandon
                                would still be responsible for his mains power convertor... lets say
                                it surged (which it does not I might add). Complex legal issues. But
                                in the UK we are still some way behind the US legal mania for asking
                                for damages. But Marklin still issues the starter sets with a power
                                controller in various outputs 110v for the USA to 240v for the UK and
                                Europe so they do not see any issues. I think it is the issue of:
                                costs v weight v warrenty v packing that will not make it attractive
                                to companies such as MTL. I have purchased several of the MTL starter
                                sets and the boxes are not that strong and would have to be made so
                                and that will add a lot of cost to a product that is not that cheap
                                (but good value). I just think Herman it is $$$$ or ££££ or Euros
                                rather than legal issues that will decide this matter in the long
                                run. As far as I am concerned I will get someone like Gaugemaster
                                (based in the UK)to make a 9 v or stick with the Marklin or the Super
                                Jorger by Jeremy Brandon.. They all do the job in different degrees.

                                Bob Fage (in the UK)

                                02.08.2006

                              • bobfage2000
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006
                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                                  Hi Don

                                  I could not agree more. While in the UK we are heading down the USA
                                  road for litigation, the end result is that the producers of a
                                  product are responsible ..in the UK : Sale of Goods Act and others.
                                  But I still say it is the $$$ or £££ or the Euros that dictate if a
                                  power pack is included, not the prospects of litigation. Otherwise
                                  everything we could buy would have the same problem from washing
                                  machine to cars.

                                  Bob Fage (in the UK)

                                  > Hermann;
                                  >
                                  > After spending over 40 years in the courtrooms throughout North
                                  America
                                  > including all 50 of the United States and many locations in Canada
                                  plus
                                  > many other foreign countries, I must respectively disagree with you
                                  that
                                  > the customer is responsible for himself. I agree it SHOULD be that
                                  way,
                                  > but United States is a very litigious society, and jury results
                                  sometime
                                  > border along the line of insanity.
                                  >
                                  > .don

                                • bobfage2000
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006

                                    > Alan, you are looking at HO and N sets not Z ... a world of
                                    differance. Only Marklin issue a controller for Z as far as I am
                                    aware? Bob Fage (in the UK)

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006
                                      >Alan MTL is available in the UK via some shops (there agents) and
                                      therefore you can get the sets. So Marklin is not the only Z gauge that
                                      comes into the UK.. I also sell on Ebay with my shop and have 190 items
                                      available and have in the past had the sets both for the F7 and the
                                      GP35 available - all sold without a power controller.

                                      Bob

                                      > Ar Gwe, 2006-08-04 am 07:55 +0000, ysgrifennodd bobfage2000:
                                      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Alan, you are looking at HO and N sets not Z ... a world of
                                      > > differance. Only Marklin issue a controller for Z as far as I am
                                      > > aware? Bob Fage (in the UK)
                                      >
                                      > Nobody but Marklin sells Z sets into the UK. I therefore looked at
                                      > everything from LGB through OO to Z. Every manufacturer sold set aimed
                                      > at the UK market comes with a controller whatever the scale.
                                      >
                                      > The only oddity I found was Kato where you seem to buy a track set
                                      which
                                      > includes the controller and a separate train pack.
                                      >
                                      > Alan

                                    • Alan Cox
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006

                                          > Ar Gwe, 2006-08-04 am 10:01 +0000, ysgrifennodd bobfage2000:
                                          > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
                                          > > >Alan MTL is available in the UK via some shops (there agents)
                                          and
                                          > > therefore you can get the sets. So Marklin is not the only Z gauge
                                          > > that
                                          > > comes into the UK..
                                          >
                                          > Please read what I wrote. "Nobody but Marklin sells Z sets *into*
                                          the
                                          > UK"
                                          >
                                          > Yes people import MTL sets, but MTL does not itself target the UK
                                          > market.
                                          >
                                          > Alan

                                          Alan, it is a shame that MTL do not target the UK, so I have to agree
                                          with you. But when I take MTL and AZL locos to shows and toy fairs in
                                          the UK I get a lot of interest. It is a bit like Marklin not doing UK
                                          outline engines.. a market just sitting there waiting. Which is a
                                          shame

                                          Bob
                                        • Alan Cox
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006
                                            Ar Gwe, 2006-08-04 am 10:01 +0000, ysgrifennodd bobfage2000:
                                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
                                            > >Alan MTL is available in the UK via some shops (there agents) and
                                            > therefore you can get the sets. So Marklin is not the only Z gauge
                                            > that
                                            > comes into the UK..

                                            Please read what I wrote. "Nobody but Marklin sells Z sets *into* the
                                            UK"

                                            Yes people import MTL sets, but MTL does not itself target the UK
                                            market.

                                            Alan
                                          • vincentgoudreault
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006
                                              What if MTL just printed on their starter set, in big friendly
                                              letters, a note that read thusly:

                                              You will need a power supply. MTL recommends (here a list of a few
                                              models from a few makers, which are considered adequate)

                                              and leave the customer to make the choice? Then anyone who can read
                                              can have a better chance to avoid the dreaded "batteries not
                                              included" Christmas morning trauma, and end up with a power supply
                                              that is more likely to satisfy their need. This will also likely
                                              have the potential buyer ask the knowledable hobby show operator for
                                              information, and help establish good marchant-customer relations.

                                              I mean, Z is unique in the many way it will be used by modelers, and
                                              that would determine which power pack is more suitable. Is this
                                              starter set only an easy way to expand an existing roster? Is it
                                              meant for someone who eventually will have a large layout, perhaps
                                              even with DCC? Or is a cute "layout in a briefcase" envisioned, in
                                              which case a battery operated power pack makes a lot more sense?

                                              CBVG
                                            • RSGRANT
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 4, 2006
                                                BICKER BICKER BICKER LET IT DIE Jonsey

                                              • de Champeaux Dominique
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 6, 2006
                                                  > I was talking about product liabilty. for example
                                                  > Jeremy Brandon
                                                  > would still be responsible for his mains power
                                                  > convertor... lets say
                                                  > it surged (which it does not I might add). Complex
                                                  > legal issues. But
                                                  > in the UK we are still some way behind the US legal
                                                  > mania for asking
                                                  > for damages.....

                                                  Interresting thoughts. But frankly chaps, do you think
                                                  it's an issue? As I believe US are under strong rules
                                                  about liability, let's say around all that deals with
                                                  death or corporal accidents (even for animals), I
                                                  can't imagine a court charging a manufacturer for a
                                                  fry Z scale loco....<grin>

                                                  Dominique

                                                  http://fr.answers.yahoo.com