Re: [Z_Scale] Black Bear Construction Co. N Scale Truss Bridge Kit

  • Edward Scullin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      I attended Andy's presentation, but I cannot remember what he recommended for staining the wood.
      Anybody HELP
      Yes they make Z scale jigs. That is all Andy was selling at Zcon.
      Ed S

      --- randy smidt <randy@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > I've heard lot's of good things about the Blackbear products. Andy Shaw did a demo on using
      > their jigs for trestle building at the Capital Connection Z meet in Alexandria in July. I think
      > they actually have Z scale trestle kits/jigs as well don't they?
      >
      > Randy
      >
      > John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
      > Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
      > Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?
      >
      > http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm
      >
      > John Bartolotto
      >
      > http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

    • John & Sue Bartolotto
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
        Randy,

        Thanks. They have Z scale trestle kits/jigs but not for the Howe Truss
        Bridge, it is only in N scale.

        John

        _____

        John Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de> wrote:
        Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
        Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

        http://www.blackbea <http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm> rcc.com/tbk_N.htm

        John Bartolotto

        http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

      • johnegert
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
          John--- I have used both the truss and the deck bridge in Z with very
          acceptable results, especially as spans between trestle sections.
          They're petite enough to look good, and can be made even less beefy by
          using lighter wood in bracing, etc. I really like Black Bear's kits and
          jigs.
          John
        • Wendy Harlow
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
            I've used Black Bear's kits - I'm working on the truss bridge currently.

            To stain the pieces, I used what I had on hand: a Prismacolor marker. I
            didn't want to use anything water-based for fear of warping the very slender
            pieces. The marker is permanent, transparent and easy to use. I used a tiny
            permanent black marker for the bolts.

            ~Wendy Harlow

            _____

            --- randy smidt <randy@smidtfamily. <mailto:randy%40smidtfamily.com> com>

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
              Wendy,

              That is a great idea. Where did you purchase the Prismcolor marker and what
              color is it?

              John Bartolotto

              _____