Re: [Z_Scale] Black Bear Construction Co. N Scale Truss Bridge Kit

  • randy smidt
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      John,

      I've heard lot's of good things about the Blackbear products. Andy Shaw did a demo on using their jigs for trestle building at the Capital Connection Z meet in Alexandria in July. I think they actually have Z scale trestle kits/jigs as well don't they?

      Randy

      John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
      Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
      Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

      http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm

      John Bartolotto

      http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        I attended Andy's presentation, but I cannot remember what he recommended for staining the wood.
        Anybody HELP
        Yes they make Z scale jigs. That is all Andy was selling at Zcon.
        Ed S

        --- randy smidt <randy@...> wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > I've heard lot's of good things about the Blackbear products. Andy Shaw did a demo on using
        > their jigs for trestle building at the Capital Connection Z meet in Alexandria in July. I think
        > they actually have Z scale trestle kits/jigs as well don't they?
        >
        > Randy
        >
        > John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
        > Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?
        >
        > http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm
        >
        > John Bartolotto
        >
        > http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
          Randy,

          Thanks. They have Z scale trestle kits/jigs but not for the Howe Truss
          Bridge, it is only in N scale.

          John

          _____

          John Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de> wrote:
          Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
          Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

          http://www.blackbea <http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm> rcc.com/tbk_N.htm

          John Bartolotto

          http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

        • johnegert
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
            John--- I have used both the truss and the deck bridge in Z with very
            acceptable results, especially as spans between trestle sections.
            They're petite enough to look good, and can be made even less beefy by
            using lighter wood in bracing, etc. I really like Black Bear's kits and
            jigs.
            John
          • Wendy Harlow
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
              I've used Black Bear's kits - I'm working on the truss bridge currently.

              To stain the pieces, I used what I had on hand: a Prismacolor marker. I
              didn't want to use anything water-based for fear of warping the very slender
              pieces. The marker is permanent, transparent and easy to use. I used a tiny
              permanent black marker for the bolts.

              ~Wendy Harlow

              _____

              --- randy smidt <randy@smidtfamily. <mailto:randy%40smidtfamily.com> com>

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
                Wendy,

                That is a great idea. Where did you purchase the Prismcolor marker and what
                color is it?

                John Bartolotto

                _____