Black Bear Construction Co. N Scale Truss Bridge Kit

  • John Bartolotto
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
      Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
      Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

      http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm

      John Bartolotto

      http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm
    • Arie Knoops
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
        John,
        I used their kits in one of my early boxes. They are very easy kits to build. You can look at the photos under Arie's layouts, the images are very poor (garbage 1 meg digital camera) also I have another folder in z_scale2
        Arie
        (I may not post but I'm still here)

        John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
        Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
        Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

        http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm

        John Bartolotto

        http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

      • randy smidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          John,

          I've heard lot's of good things about the Blackbear products. Andy Shaw did a demo on using their jigs for trestle building at the Capital Connection Z meet in Alexandria in July. I think they actually have Z scale trestle kits/jigs as well don't they?

          Randy

          John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
          Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
          Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

          http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm

          John Bartolotto

          http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            I attended Andy's presentation, but I cannot remember what he recommended for staining the wood.
            Anybody HELP
            Yes they make Z scale jigs. That is all Andy was selling at Zcon.
            Ed S

            --- randy smidt <randy@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > I've heard lot's of good things about the Blackbear products. Andy Shaw did a demo on using
            > their jigs for trestle building at the Capital Connection Z meet in Alexandria in July. I think
            > they actually have Z scale trestle kits/jigs as well don't they?
            >
            > Randy
            >
            > John Bartolotto <jsbart@...> wrote:
            > Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
            > Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?
            >
            > http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm
            >
            > John Bartolotto
            >
            > http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

          • John & Sue Bartolotto
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
              Randy,

              Thanks. They have Z scale trestle kits/jigs but not for the Howe Truss
              Bridge, it is only in N scale.

              John

              _____

              John Bartolotto <jsbart@pjsnet1. <mailto:jsbart%40pjsnet1.de> de> wrote:
              Has anyone built/used the N scale truss bridge kit by Black Bear
              Construction Co? If so what do you think of it?

              http://www.blackbea <http://www.blackbearcc.com/tbk_N.htm> rcc.com/tbk_N.htm

              John Bartolotto

              http: // www. blackbearcc .com / tbk_N.htm

            • johnegert
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                John--- I have used both the truss and the deck bridge in Z with very
                acceptable results, especially as spans between trestle sections.
                They're petite enough to look good, and can be made even less beefy by
                using lighter wood in bracing, etc. I really like Black Bear's kits and
                jigs.
                John
              • Wendy Harlow
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
                  I've used Black Bear's kits - I'm working on the truss bridge currently.

                  To stain the pieces, I used what I had on hand: a Prismacolor marker. I
                  didn't want to use anything water-based for fear of warping the very slender
                  pieces. The marker is permanent, transparent and easy to use. I used a tiny
                  permanent black marker for the bolts.

                  ~Wendy Harlow

                  _____

                  --- randy smidt <randy@smidtfamily. <mailto:randy%40smidtfamily.com> com>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Wendy,

                    That is a great idea. Where did you purchase the Prismcolor marker and what
                    color is it?

                    John Bartolotto

                    _____