UMTRR June, 2001 from George J. Irwin

  • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2001
      IRWINSJOURNAL.COM Presents:
      The Unofficial Micro-Trains® Release Report
      June, 2001
      (Not affiliated with Micro-Trains Line, Inc.)

      Copyright (C) 2001, George J. Irwin.

      Z SCALE NEW RELEASES:

      14716, Marklin Coupler, $17.55, 14716-2, Micro-Trains Coupler,
      $19.25, 30 Foot Center Cupola Caboose, Union Pacific.  UP
      Armour Yellow with red lettering.  Slogan "Great American Car
      Pull" in green on white in lower center of car.  Reporting Marks:
      UP 25121.  Approximate Time Period: late 1960's to end of the
      caboose, at least theoretically.

      Once again, we have the subtle hint in the MTL car copy: "This
      yellow caboose with red lettering typifies the livery of the
      multicolored UP safety slogan cabooses."  I've taken that to
      read, "Well, the UP didn't really have this style of caboose,
      but if they did..."  At least one custom decorator site
      shows the slogans on extended vision cabooses in the UP
      25000 number series, and from there I was led to my handy
      dandy Microscale Decals catalog, which I haven't referenced for
      a while.  There are a bunch of safety slogans in their set number
      257, which also shows them as belonging on an extended
      vision caboose.  But "Great American Car Pull" isn't one of them.
      The previous MTL offering in this mode, "Go Big Train," is.
      I'm not sure what either has to do specifically with safety,
      as much as one like, say, "Let's not meet by accident," but
      I'm sure that the folks in Talent aren't making up these phrases.

      Z SCALE REPRINTS: No releases this month.

      --George in Ellison Park, New York
      --Author, The Unofficial Micro-Trains Release Report
      Visit the website, now at: http://www.irwinsjournal.com