4-6-0 hums when placed on track when tried no movement.

  • dgsteve@altavista.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
      I recently tested a steam loco 8599 I placed my ear very close when
      first turning throttle and it made a bit of a humming sound but would
      not move. I did this only for a second as I did not want to further
      damage it. Could this be a gear binding? this is my first guess but I
      thought I would see if this has been experienced by anyone else. It
      seems promising and I will visit creative element to see if there is
      loco strip-down info there. Thanks if anyone can help,
      Steve
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
        Sounds like congealed oil to me - take a look at this for more info:
        http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/revival.html

        At 02:20 AM 6/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >I recently tested a steam loco 8599 I placed my ear very close when
        >first turning throttle and it made a bit of a humming sound but would
        >not move. I did this only for a second as I did not want to further
        >damage it. Could this be a gear binding? this is my first guess but I
        >thought I would see if this has been experienced by anyone else. It
        >seems promising and I will visit creative element to see if there is
        >loco strip-down info there. Thanks if anyone can help,
        >Steve

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • Robert Allbritton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
          I second David's thought:

          Sounds like it needs a lube job. Take her apart, lub the gears (Marklin Oil
          or Labelle or some very light oil, but NO WD-40 or "3-in-1" oil!!!) put her
          back together and she should run like a champ. Don't over oil, just enough
          for a thin film, but do clean the gears first (you can use new oil to clean
          them)

          Best,
          -Rob