Cover Photo

  • jcubbin@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
      Great cover photo! I really can't tell you how much I enjoy looking at these as a whole. Are the foreground rails weathered a bit more on
      the rust side or is this just the camera exposure? I really like the look of that. Also, it looks like some kind of cart in the foreground as well,
      what is it?

      After some of the recent odd behavior by members, it's really nice to... just stare at the photos. Very relaxing.
      Thanks
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
        We now return to the main subject of this group!

        I'm glad that you are enjoying the photos and thank you for the
        compliment on the UP railbus photo. Here is a more detailed
        explanation of the scene.

        The foreground rails are indeed a deep rust colour as are all of the
        secondary trackage on the VEC. Mainline tracks and switches are more
        grimey black. The rust coloration varies depending on how
        infrequently heavy traffic passes over the section.

        On the extreme left of the photo, you will see the rear tires of a
        dump truck unloading coal on the ground next to a coal conveyor, the
        contraption with the big wheels (is this the cart you are referring
        to?). There is no coaling tower in Val Ease West. Coal is delivered
        by truck by a local contractor and the small steamers that need
        service load from the ground. The conveyor is an N scale white metal
        kit which looks right at home in Z since it reaches up to the height
        of my steam tenders.

        Also to the left, you can just make out the water tower which is from
        an N scale kit, the identity of which is lost in the obscurity of my
        failing memory.

        One last detail, the signs read "Excursions" and "West Val Ease
        Ouest". The Val Ease valley was originally explored by French
        speaking trappers acting as guides for Jesuit missionaries from the
        former French colonies now known as Québec. The first
        missionaries and pioneers were also French speaking. Today's
        inhabitants are proud of their French connection and organize an
        annual 'Francofête' and 'Fête des trains' in honour of their
        heritage.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
        > Great cover photo! I really can't tell you how much I enjoy looking
        at these as a whole. Are the foreground rails weathered a bit more on
        > the rust side or is this just the camera exposure? I really like
        the look of that. Also, it looks like some kind of cart in the
        foreground as well,
        > what is it?
        >
        > After some of the recent odd behavior by members, it's really nice
        to... just stare at the photos. Very relaxing.
        > Thanks
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
          Jeffrey,

          The elaborate universe that surrounds the VEC only proves that model
          railroading really is 95% imagination and only about 15% laying
          track. Wait, let me check my math...

          At 05:14 PM 6/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          >We now return to the main subject of this group!
          >
          >I'm glad that you are enjoying the photos and thank you for the
          >compliment on the UP railbus photo. Here is a more detailed
          >explanation of the scene.

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
            Speaking for those of us laying track this afternoon: its 100% laying track.
            Tomorrow it will be 100% wiring, and the following day 100% plaster and
            paint. Imagination is required at all times, otherwise there is noooo
            waaaaay we would be involved in this hobby!

            Best,
            -Rob