Re: Question re: the MT F7 mechanism - thanks Lajos

  • yllawk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      Thanks Lajos,
      Ironically, its your EMC switcher etched kit for which I was
      thinking about scratch-building a true B-B mechanism. I go back
      nearly to 1970 with Marklin steam, but I've never really dug into
      one of their diesel mechanisms. Look what I have been missing! By
      the way, folks, for anyone who hasn't bought Lajos diesel switcher,
      its a really nice, well done etchings kit.

      Karl W.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@...> wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "yllawk" <hkwally@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
      > > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere? Do people
      > > think it would work in a scratch-built Z mechanism
      > > using all metal gears?
      >
      > It's the common mechanism in the Marklin electric and
      > diesel locomotives. Instead of using worm gears, Marklin
      > uses a "sharpened" spur gear, made of metal. This answers
      > your second question too.
      >
      > Lajos

    • Chris Kaminski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        > As a steam loco guy, I'm not that familiar with diesel
        > loco mechanisms. Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
        > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere?
        > Karl Wally, N. California USA

        Karl, you can get "exploded" views of Marklin locos, which will give
        you good idea about their design etc on:
        http://www.maerklin.de/service/
        follow to:
        "Zeichnungen und ET-listen"
        where you will be able to download pdf file for the locomotive of your
        choice
        Chris
      • GordonWerner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006