Re: Question re: the MT F7 mechanism

  • Lajos Thek
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "yllawk" <hkwally@...> wrote:

      > Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
      > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere? Do people
      > think it would work in a scratch-built Z mechanism
      > using all metal gears?

      It's the common mechanism in the Marklin electric and
      diesel locomotives. Instead of using worm gears, Marklin
      uses a "sharpened" spur gear, made of metal. This answers
      your second question too.

      Lajos
    • yllawk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        Thanks Lajos,
        Ironically, its your EMC switcher etched kit for which I was
        thinking about scratch-building a true B-B mechanism. I go back
        nearly to 1970 with Marklin steam, but I've never really dug into
        one of their diesel mechanisms. Look what I have been missing! By
        the way, folks, for anyone who hasn't bought Lajos diesel switcher,
        its a really nice, well done etchings kit.

        Karl W.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@...> wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "yllawk" <hkwally@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
        > > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere? Do people
        > > think it would work in a scratch-built Z mechanism
        > > using all metal gears?
        >
        > It's the common mechanism in the Marklin electric and
        > diesel locomotives. Instead of using worm gears, Marklin
        > uses a "sharpened" spur gear, made of metal. This answers
        > your second question too.
        >
        > Lajos

      • Chris Kaminski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
          > As a steam loco guy, I'm not that familiar with diesel
          > loco mechanisms. Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
          > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere?
          > Karl Wally, N. California USA

          Karl, you can get "exploded" views of Marklin locos, which will give
          you good idea about their design etc on:
          http://www.maerklin.de/service/
          follow to:
          "Zeichnungen und ET-listen"
          where you will be able to download pdf file for the locomotive of your
          choice
          Chris
        • GordonWerner
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006