Question re: the MT F7 mechanism

  • yllawk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      Happy 4th of July to all,
      A question about the MT F7 mechanism. The MT F7 has it's worms fixed
      along the loco axis by the split frame; they do not pivot with the the
      trucks. The worm gear does pivot with the trucks, if I understand
      correctly. Apparently, the worm gear is really just a thin spur
      gear that remains in-plane with the spur gears on the truck axles as
      the trucks pivot. So the worm gear (spur gear) is forced to pivot
      (yaw) relative to the long axis of the worm. This seems to be made
      possible by the thinness and diameter of the worm (spur) gear, the
      depth of engagement of the "tooth" on the worm, the limited pivot
      travel, and the delrin material all combining to make this work. Is
      this correct? As a steam loco guy, I'm not that familiar with diesel
      loco mechanisms. Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
      F7, or was this used previously elsewhere? Do people think it would
      work in a scratch-built Z mechanism using all metal gears?

      Karl Wally, N. California USA
    • Lajos Thek
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "yllawk" <hkwally@...> wrote:

        > Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
        > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere? Do people
        > think it would work in a scratch-built Z mechanism
        > using all metal gears?

        It's the common mechanism in the Marklin electric and
        diesel locomotives. Instead of using worm gears, Marklin
        uses a "sharpened" spur gear, made of metal. This answers
        your second question too.

        Lajos
      • yllawk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
          Thanks Lajos,
          Ironically, its your EMC switcher etched kit for which I was
          thinking about scratch-building a true B-B mechanism. I go back
          nearly to 1970 with Marklin steam, but I've never really dug into
          one of their diesel mechanisms. Look what I have been missing! By
          the way, folks, for anyone who hasn't bought Lajos diesel switcher,
          its a really nice, well done etchings kit.

          Karl W.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@...> wrote:

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "yllawk" <hkwally@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
          > > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere? Do people
          > > think it would work in a scratch-built Z mechanism
          > > using all metal gears?
          >
          > It's the common mechanism in the Marklin electric and
          > diesel locomotives. Instead of using worm gears, Marklin
          > uses a "sharpened" spur gear, made of metal. This answers
          > your second question too.
          >
          > Lajos

        • Chris Kaminski
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
            > As a steam loco guy, I'm not that familiar with diesel
            > loco mechanisms. Is this yawing worm gear approach unique to the MT
            > F7, or was this used previously elsewhere?
            > Karl Wally, N. California USA

            Karl, you can get "exploded" views of Marklin locos, which will give
            you good idea about their design etc on:
            http://www.maerklin.de/service/
            follow to:
            "Zeichnungen und ET-listen"
            where you will be able to download pdf file for the locomotive of your
            choice
            Chris
          • GordonWerner
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006