rE: Euro vs. deutschmarks etc...or, the coming Marklin shortage

  • CH Bahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2001
      >Subject: Euro vs. deutschmarks etc

      >What is the ungoing thoughts in germany and other
      euro countries
      about whether prices will go up or down when its euro
      instead of DM ?

      >I know that in theory it should be exact the same
      but what about the
      psycological factor.

      --
      >Christian Vinaa

      - - - - -

      Christian raises a very interesting subject....and one
      that will affect all of us.

      First of all, I think the the people of Denmark made a
      very wise choice by turning down the Euro. (But that
      is a discussion for another time).

      Now, for the coming Marklin shortage.

      According to recent articles in the Financial Times of
      London and similar European publications, there is
      going to be an extremely large inflow of cash of
      various currencies into the Euro contires economies
      between now and the end of the year. This is because
      the Euro is suppose to kick in on January 1, 2002
      (however I will believe it when I see it).

      The problem, if you want to call it that, is that
      Europeans tend to keep money at home. For reasons of
      security, profits from black economy transactions, or
      whatever, generally Europeans have a lot of cash
      around the house...especially the older Europeans and
      Germans.

      Now, These people are expected to go out and spend
      this money rather then taking it to the bank after
      January 1, and exchanging it for Euros.

      It follows that Europeans, who are Marklin fans, with
      all of this cash will be expected to go out and buy
      more Marklin equipment. Therefore, it is predicted,
      that this year's Christmas buying season in Euro
      countries is going to be a great one. All of these
      people with extra cash that they need to spend it
      before January 1, 2002.

      The end result is that beginning in about November you
      should expect to see Marklin items begining to be in
      short supply. The closer it gets to the end of the
      year the more accute this shortage will become.

      The affect on the North American market will be that
      as the people at Marklin realize what is happening,
      their shipments of product to North America will be
      less, therefore creating a tight market here...and no
      doubt an increase in prices.

      Therefore, this year you may be wise to do your
      Christmas shopping in July or August.

      Bill

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/