Editorial: Re: Improved Armadillo Z Scale Pages

  • pguertler@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 12:37 PM
      Dear members of the list, dear Jeffrey MacHan

      First I would like to thank you all for visiting Armadillo's website.
      I'm very happy that my work of collecting and setting up valuable
      information for everybody interested in Z scale is so much
      appreciated. But in his statement of today, Jeffrey MacHan has set up
      some suggestions, which I think I have to answer here in public.

      I started the Armadillo infopool about four years ago when there were
      some first mailinglists on the web, but none of them was offering any
      kind of archive. I then simply thought it would be a good thing not
      to waste so many valuable inputs but to set up a kind of info-
      warehouse concerning any kind of problem that might occur in
      operating our little trains. I also set up an event and several
      literature pages. This time intensive service from my side was -
      without exception - very much appreciated by all visitors of my
      webpage.

      During the last years, my infopool has steadily grown with my aim to
      provide as much concentrated and comprehensive knowledge as possible
      to my visitors. As it always was a hobby for me, I never gave any
      thought about who was temporarely hosting an information, as long as
      I thought is was useful to the audience of z enthusiasts and nobody
      had any objection against it. Now, times seem to have changed...

      Jeffrey MacHan is absolutely right - I should have asked the
      permission of the authors of the collected articles. He is right,
      too, that about 20 percent of the tips and tricks of my infopool
      pages are based on statements/e-mails out of this z scale yahoo
      forum. The rest is mainly based upon discussions from other lists of
      which I am or was a member, too; some of them unfortunately are no
      longer online today. Last but not least, yes, 5 of 77 entries on my
      event pages are copied from his train show database, meanwhile all
      others were or are still being researched by myself. He is wrong
      concerning the missing source-indications on my pages: the author of
      a statement - the one and only owner of a copyright - is always named
      at the end of every article - as long as I could retrieve a name from
      the original e-mail. When I started with the infopool, I also put an
      e-mail or web-address as an additional reference to the author
      besides the name, but I had to find out that about 50 percent of
      these addresses tend to change within a year. So I decided to take
      off all of these contact possibilities in order not to send my
      visitors into space. And, in fact, there was and is an active link to
      the z scale yahoo forum on my link page, category Magazines and
      Mailinglists, where it simply belongs. Amen.

      So, if any author of a statement in my infopool has any objections
      against being in there, I will remove his or her statement at once -
      even if it would really be a pitty for the contents of the entire
      information provided upon a subject. Just let me know.

      Finally, I would like to make an free offer to Jeffrey MacHan and the
      z scale yahoo forum: send me a banner-graphic (preferably 234 x 60 or
      110 x 60 pixels, GIF-format), a link-URL and a link text to the z-
      scale yahoo forum, and I will put it on every infopool-page (both
      language versions) in the right down corner besides the page
      navigation, where it is always clearly visible. I think this would be
      the best place to promote the z scale forum. What do you think?

      Have a nice weekend - Jeffrey, I hope you don't mind my statement!
      Respectfully
      Patrick Guertler, http://www.armadillo.ch

    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 3:12 PM
        Hello Patrick,

        I was looking forward to your reply. Thank you for the historical background
        concerning your site and infopool in particular.

        I especially like your offer to add a Z_Scale banner to the infopool pages.
        More on that later. I still think that it would be helpful if you
        mentioning exactly what you said below in the preamble statement on the
        infopool title page, i.e. that the articles contained in Infopool are the
        copyright of their respective authors.

        I respectfully resubmit that including the article archive # from Z_Scale
        would also help to identify the source mailing list. I imagine other lists
        offer mesage archiving. It seems to be one of the advantages of the Yahoo
        service in any case.

        As for a banner for Z_Scale, I think we should ask for submissions from the
        list for a graphic. We could then vote on the proposals. I'll certainly
        try to come up with something for the competition. In the meantime,
        Patrick, I'll send you a temporary banner so that you can add it to the
        infopool pages as you so generously offered.

        I'm with you on the need to promote Z and provide fine sources of
        information.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        )