Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Steam engine bells on diesels

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
      Ar Mer, 2006-06-28 am 18:42 +0000, ysgrifennodd Bill Hoshiko:
      > "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:
      > If any of you live near a functioning steam locomotive please attend
      > one of their operations and tell us if the steam locomotive makes
      > noise when it starts rolling. If it is starting up a heavy load it
      > can make a lot of noise but an engine operating solo is very quiet.

      I can confirm it can indeed be almost silent when rolling or idling,
      especially if the cab end is facing you rather than the cylinders. All
      trains are dangerous like this, especially when shunting where the loco
      may be some distance away at the other end of the train.

      "Noisy" is also very subjective. In a quiet room you will hear a pin
      drop or a mobile phone across an office, on a windy day in a noisy yard
      the same phone won't be heard in your own pocket.

      Alan