Re: I'm tired - An Alternate Point of View

  • Jeffrey Walsh
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 25, 2006
      I must caveat this message with the following statement: the words I am
      using here are not indented to be mean spirited or back biting.
      Nevertheless, these words are frank observations of the situation and an
      opinion of a hobby consumer.

      Offering an alternate point of view, I must say I am quite surprised by
      these announcements from those leaving the Z-scale businesses. I can
      personally attest to Hobo Tim's generosity and fine work. I am lucky enough
      to have received one of his etched brass truck cab detail sets. It is a
      fine piece of work, which I received for free. Hobo Tim has my gratitude
      and admiration for this act of generosity. All this time I thought Zthek
      was a full time manufacturer like MTL. Just go out to Zthek's web site and
      look at the professionalism in its content. Look at the page that details
      the SW-1 kit - it show an instruction sheet worthy of Revell. Mr. Bill K.
      of Houston, I never knew you were making cables until you announced that you
      were getting out of the cable making business. From your own words it
      sounds as if you made a high quality, highly requested product.

      So what is it about your success that aggravates you?

      A number of you have cited that you feel a victim of your own success, using
      the term "slave scale manufacturing". If you want to look for someone to
      blame for being enslaved, start with the person staring back at you in the
      mirror. Yes, the customer is part of the reason for your success, but your
      success is also from the quality product you provide and the reasonable
      price set for the product. By no means have any of us enslaved you!

      Further, it is not our fault that you are having trouble balancing a regular
      job, a social life, a family, and hobbies, against the demands of a
      business. This is a basic time management situation which everyone faces
      every day. I would think you would have considered the increase demands on
      your time when you contemplated when becoming an entrepreneur. I would
      think that you would have considered receiving telephone calls at
      inconvenient times when you published your personal telephone number as a
      business telephone. I would think that you would have considered that
      consumers would be demanding and unfair before you entered the business.

      A public forum like a Yahoo! internet group is not a good place to blow off
      some steam about being tired. Let me illustrate possible consequences.

      On this forum I have seen strings of discussions concerning the future of
      Z-scale. These discussions ranged from attracting new blood to the
      availability of equipment, and other factors that could affect the viability
      of the Z-scale hobby. I came to the Z-scale hobby partly from the N-scale
      hobby where I was exploring Nn3. I admired the detail in miniaturization of
      the Z-scale rolling stock and locomotives, but I was concerned with the cost
      and availability. The announcement by MTL of Z-scale switches pushed me
      over the edge and now I have an investment in the hobby. As time went on,
      further research found there are many sources for Z-scale products.

      Now I see that several sources of Z-scale items have arbitrarily decided to
      closed shop. No warning, no advanced notice, no indicators. Just throw up
      your arms and say "To hell with it!" What do you think that action does for
      attracting new recruits? What do you think that action does for the
      perception of availability of supplies? I can assure you that it helps
      neither.

      So now I am faced with asking hard questions of the other suppliers. AZL,
      what is your commitment to Z-scale? Are you faithful to manufacturing
      locomotives or are you going to arbitrarily leave the business? Sea Rails,
      are you committed to the hobby? Are you committed to supplying the whale
      belly tank cars you have been talking about? Micron Art, your truss bridge
      design is beautiful! What is your commitment to building them?

      Now that I have angered enough people, set me offer some suggestions to the
      problems I pose:

      1. Manage the customer's expectation. Don't let the customer manage
      you. Look at your own schedule, set target dates and let the customer know
      the schedule. If you have to change your plans, let your new plans be known
      by all so that expectation is being managed.
      2. When you create a schedule, build in time for yourself, your family,
      your social life, and your hobbies.
      3. If the going get rough, take some time off. There is nothing wrong
      with taking a sabbatical from a business. Stephen Covey calls it taking
      time to sharpen your tools.
      4. When it is time to get out of the business, consider selling it or
      passing it on to someone else. Pass the torch to a worthy successor.
      Zthek, have you inquired if MTL is interested in your ready to run SW-1's?
      How about inquiring with AZL? Walthers?

      This is my point of view. I hope it gives you food for thought. Of those
      of you who choose to leave the Z-scale business, leave with my best wishes
      and thanks for your service. I am saddened by the news, but I hope my
      thoughts will give you another perspective on how your announcements may
      have been received.

      Sincerely,

      Jeffrey Walsh

    • John L. Battey
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 26, 2006
        Lajos, Bob, Tim and Bill,

        Speaking as one of many strictly modeler/hobbyists here, let me be the
        first to say simply, "Welcome to our group." I'm sure you will enjoy it
        as much as I do.

        John L. Battey