Re: [z_scale] Web Site & SW9!!

  • billy roden
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
      Thank you Harold
      The switcher was built with manufacturing in mind. Of course it represents
      every meaning of the word pre production. At one time there was a discussion
      among some different folks about helping to make the different parts as
      talent allowed and making kits. But that seems to have went to the side. The
      molds are broke on the 89' flats :) but I still have the masters. Maybe
      after the NTS show I'll have time to come back to that part of the hobby.
      For those who have no interest in this I apologize for adding to your
      E-mail.

      Have a Great Day
      Billy Roden
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
        Billy
        I'm currently designing a switcher like yours. I have a GP38
        chassis that I built from scratch and I'm in the process of shorteneing
        to a switcher size. Any chance you can take some close up
        pictures of it or give me any more details or let me take it a step further?
        I don't think the chassis will be the hard part, the shell will.
        John
        jjabour@...
      • Scott A. Whitmire
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
          At 6/1/01 05:38 AM, you wrote:
          >Hello Jeff and List
          >My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
          >could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
          >are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
          >single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
          >side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
          >maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
          >farther.
          >
          >Have a Great Day
          >Billy Roden

          That's what we get for saying it couldn't be done :-)

          Your engineering solution seems about right. I knew an 8mm motor
          would fit, but I was trying to figure out a way to power both trucks
          AND include a flywheel. That's a nice piece of work. Now, I need to
          get back to the drive-train design :-)

          BTW, that would make a great article for Z-Track.

          Scott Whitmire
          If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
          programming must be the process of putting them in.