Re: [z_scale] Web Site & SW9!!

  • harold grady
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi Billy, Once more you have triumphed over adversity
      your switcher is dynamic. Can they be manufactured for
      sale? I definitely could use about (4) This is where
      the thrust in z scale should be on locomotives and
      rolling stock. Speaking of rolling stock do you still
      have available your 89' trailer train flat cars I
      would
      like to order about $200.00 worth if you do.
      Thanks Harold Grady

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • billy roden
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
        Thank you Harold
        The switcher was built with manufacturing in mind. Of course it represents
        every meaning of the word pre production. At one time there was a discussion
        among some different folks about helping to make the different parts as
        talent allowed and making kits. But that seems to have went to the side. The
        molds are broke on the 89' flats :) but I still have the masters. Maybe
        after the NTS show I'll have time to come back to that part of the hobby.
        For those who have no interest in this I apologize for adding to your
        E-mail.

        Have a Great Day
        Billy Roden
        >Hi Billy, Once more you have triumphed over adversity
        >your switcher is dynamic. Can they be manufactured for
        >sale? I definitely could use about (4) This is where
        >the thrust in z scale should be on locomotives and
        >rolling stock. Speaking of rolling stock do you still
        >have available your 89' trailer train flat cars I
        >would
        >like to order about $200.00 worth if you do.
        > Thanks Harold Grady
        >--- billy roden <billy8@...> wrote:
        >> Hello Jeff and List
        >> My little switcher came out of a thread on this list
        >> and some who said it
        >> could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast
        >> resin. The side frames
        >> are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft
        >> using a worm gear. It is a
        >> single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro
        >> Trains with resin cast
        >> side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no
        >> problem. I'm hoping
        >> maybe someone with more skill than myself might want
        >> to take it a little
        >> farther.
        >>
        >> Have a Great Day
        >> Billy Roden

      • John Jabour
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
          Billy
          I'm currently designing a switcher like yours. I have a GP38
          chassis that I built from scratch and I'm in the process of shorteneing
          to a switcher size. Any chance you can take some close up
          pictures of it or give me any more details or let me take it a step further?
          I don't think the chassis will be the hard part, the shell will.
          John
          jjabour@...
        • Scott A. Whitmire
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
            At 6/1/01 05:38 AM, you wrote:
            >Hello Jeff and List
            >My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
            >could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
            >are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
            >single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
            >side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
            >maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
            >farther.
            >
            >Have a Great Day
            >Billy Roden

            That's what we get for saying it couldn't be done :-)

            Your engineering solution seems about right. I knew an 8mm motor
            would fit, but I was trying to figure out a way to power both trucks
            AND include a flywheel. That's a nice piece of work. Now, I need to
            get back to the drive-train design :-)

            BTW, that would make a great article for Z-Track.

            Scott Whitmire
            If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
            programming must be the process of putting them in.