Re: [z_scale] Gear Issue

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
      Have you tried swapping the gears? Since you have at least two identical
      chassis, you therefore have four identical kingpins and four identical spur
      gears. By mixing and matching, you may be able to more easily isolate the
      problem. I find it hard to believe that the truck is misaligned,
      especially to the degree that would cause a problem with the meshing of the
      gears - besides, the truck is cast, not machined.

      It sounds like you've cleaned the parts sufficiently; much more so than I
      ever have, anyway. Perhaps the kingpin or the spur gear is bent, which
      would also cause them to mesh improperly. If so, these parts are easily
      replaced.

      So far, the only Marklin parts I've found to be misaligned in my own
      experience are the rolling stock wheelsets, which is understandable, given
      the mixture of plastic and metal.

      http://www.creativelement.com/z/
    • jcubbin@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
        Ok,

        I just did a swapping of the gears, and it appears to be the truck itself. On the 88571 the truck is plastic. At this point, I really do believe
        that somehow, perhaps as it was cooling after manufacturing, it developed a slight bend to it? Not much of a guess but the gears and
        pins all seem sound.

        Since the gears function well in the other truck.....

        I've had an really lousy bit of luck lately with gears! Still waiting for my 88861 gears as well.

        John
      • Scott A. Whitmire
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
          At 6/1/01 07:14 AM, you wrote:
          >If I had to guess, it almost seems as if the hole the kingpin goes through
          >wasn't made quit right at the factory. It's off just enough to cause
          >this problem.
          >
          >Does this sound possible?
          >
          >John

          Of course it's possible. You don't have many options for fixing it. You could
          fill the hole with putty and drill a new one, but that wouldn't be very strong.
          Your best bet is a new truck.

          With the tolerances as tight as they are in these things, it's a wonder it
          doesn't happen more often.

          Scott Whitmire
          If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
          programming must be the process of putting them in.