ballast again

  • Jan Coetzer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi everone,

      One for the experianced Zteers.

      I want to do some ballasting, got a packet of some woodland drk brn
      medium ballast on hand, It looks fine enough would it work and be ok
      or must I get the fine.

      Ja a very stupid question , but one its layed its layed.

      Regards
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi Jan,

        I would always recommend fine grain ballast for Z. I know the
        medium grain dark brown ballast that you have. I have used it
        myself as soil but I find that it is much too coarse. If you can
        exchange it for fine grain, I would do so.

        Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you might want to ballast
        a section of track on some scrap roadbed and take a look at it.
        You are the only one you have to please, it's your railroad.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        --- In z_scale@y..., "Jan Coetzer" <coetzjh@c...> wrote:
        > Hi everone,
        >
        > One for the experianced Zteers.
        >
        > I want to do some ballasting, got a packet of some woodland
        drk brn
        > medium ballast on hand, It looks fine enough would it work
        and be ok
        > or must I get the fine.
        >
        > Regards
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
          I used both medium and fine ballast on my layout - the idea was to use the
          fine ballast on the far end of the layout to give the illusion of greater
          distance. It turns out the fine ballast looks much better all around, and
          have been "touching up" the medium ballast with the fine. Here are the
          details:
          http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/ballast.html

          At 11:30 AM 6/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          >I want to do some ballasting, got a packet of some woodland drk brn
          >medium ballast on hand, It looks fine enough would it work and be ok
          >or must I get the fine.

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Scott A. Whitmire
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
            At 6/1/01 04:30 AM, you wrote:
            >Hi everone,
            >
            >One for the experianced Zteers.
            >
            >I want to do some ballasting, got a packet of some woodland drk brn
            >medium ballast on hand, It looks fine enough would it work and be ok
            >or must I get the fine.
            >
            >Ja a very stupid question , but one its layed its layed.
            >
            >Regards

            Not a stupid questions at all. Your problem is that talcum powder
            is a only a wee bit small for Z scale ballast. It's too small, but not
            by much. The WS medium ballast makes for very large rocks. Regular
            sand is about the right size for N scale, and Z's about 40% smaller.

            Even the WS fine ballast is too big. Beach sand, especially really
            fine beach sand, is about right. As an alternative, try to get some
            N scale ballast from Arizona Rock & Mineral and run it through
            a screen. The N scale ballast is about half as coarse as the
            WS fine ballast, and would look pretty good on Z scale track. It
            would look great compared to the WS stuff.

            Scott Whitmire
            If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
            programming must be the process of putting them in.