Re: [z_scale] Re: Varying Noise Levels In Same Chassis Locos... Next Issue!

  • M. Gottschalch
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
      John,

      If you have access to a disecting scope this will help to look at the
      gears. If not then a good magnifying glass may do it. With my eyesight I
      need the scope to get a good look at it all. ;-) I use pins and an xacto
      blade to clean and beburr.
      --
      Manfred
    • jcubbin@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
        I was up with this truck issue into the wee hours. In a large white container with a flat bottom I decided to take the entire truck apart and
        find out what the problem was. I dissambled the entire truck and cleaned all parts, although they were very clean to begin with. An
        alcohol bath followed by a compressed air dry cycle!

        Everything looked good. I reassembled and was fine right up until the gear that actually engages the worm gear. It doesn't seem to sit
        low enough between the intermediate gears to allow the kingpin to be placed through it. If you apply just a bit of pressure to line up the
        hole in the gear to the hole where the kingpin goes in, it will fit, but then the grinding occurs. Up until that point, all gears are moving
        very freely.

        Having done this assembly several times last night, I'm fairly sure that it's not the way I'm reassembling it. Also, given that this was the
        problem before I ever took the truck apart I believe it's something inherint to this truck. I was working under a lighted 3x magnifying lamp
        and I didn't see any burs on the gears.

        If I had to guess, it almost seems as if the hole the kingpin goes through wasn't made quit right at the factory. It's off just enough to cause
        this problem.

        Does this sound possible?

        John
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
          Have you tried swapping the gears? Since you have at least two identical
          chassis, you therefore have four identical kingpins and four identical spur
          gears. By mixing and matching, you may be able to more easily isolate the
          problem. I find it hard to believe that the truck is misaligned,
          especially to the degree that would cause a problem with the meshing of the
          gears - besides, the truck is cast, not machined.

          It sounds like you've cleaned the parts sufficiently; much more so than I
          ever have, anyway. Perhaps the kingpin or the spur gear is bent, which
          would also cause them to mesh improperly. If so, these parts are easily
          replaced.

          So far, the only Marklin parts I've found to be misaligned in my own
          experience are the rolling stock wheelsets, which is understandable, given
          the mixture of plastic and metal.

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • jcubbin@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
            Ok,

            I just did a swapping of the gears, and it appears to be the truck itself. On the 88571 the truck is plastic. At this point, I really do believe
            that somehow, perhaps as it was cooling after manufacturing, it developed a slight bend to it? Not much of a guess but the gears and
            pins all seem sound.

            Since the gears function well in the other truck.....

            I've had an really lousy bit of luck lately with gears! Still waiting for my 88861 gears as well.

            John
          • Scott A. Whitmire
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
              At 6/1/01 07:14 AM, you wrote:
              >If I had to guess, it almost seems as if the hole the kingpin goes through
              >wasn't made quit right at the factory. It's off just enough to cause
              >this problem.
              >
              >Does this sound possible?
              >
              >John

              Of course it's possible. You don't have many options for fixing it. You could
              fill the hole with putty and drill a new one, but that wouldn't be very strong.
              Your best bet is a new truck.

              With the tolerances as tight as they are in these things, it's a wonder it
              doesn't happen more often.

              Scott Whitmire
              If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
              programming must be the process of putting them in.