Improved Armadillo Z Scale Pages on www.armadillo.ch

  • pguertler@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Almost 11'000 visitors on Armadillo's Z scale pages up to now!

      This was reason enough to redesign our website. We have improved the
      layout and have added a more userfriendly navigation, which results
      in easier and faster access to the information you are looking for.

      Besides our own experiences with Z scale, our pages contain:
      - a comprehensive list of articles and books ever published about
      Z-scale
      - infopool: a steadily growing collection of tips and tricks in
      setting up Z-scale layouts and maintaining rolling stock
      (containing many tips and tricks out of different Z-scale
      mailinglists)
      - lists with links, addresses and event dates
      - downloads

      Also new - due to several requests - we offer you the possibility to
      advertise on our pages.

      Have a look at http://www.armadillo.ch and please update your
      bookmarks and/or links to our pages (we had to change our internet-
      provider; our old compuserve-account is no longer valid).

      Regards
      Patrick Guertler

      P.S. Please sign our guestbook
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Dear Members,

        Since I always accept an invitation to explore Z related web sites,
        I took the time to go through every page of Patrick's (Armadillo)
        website. I congratulate him on his efforts to warehouse
        information concerning our favourite scale. However, I have
        several suggestions to make:

        1. a large number of articles in his 'infopool' or article database
        are copied directly, word for word, from this group. I encourage
        the exchange of information concerning Z model railroading. I
        am quite sensitive to 'borrowing' of material without going to the
        trouble of asking permission from this list or the authors.

        I have indicated to Patrick that I have no personal objection to his

        use of articles that I have posted to Z_Scale. I can't speak for the
        numerous other members whose postings have been added to
        Armadillo's database.

        I got a chuckle reading Patrick's legal notice disassociating
        himself from any copyright infringement that the "authors" of his
        'borrowed' articles might be guilty of. There seems to be a bit of
        irony in this situation!.

        I do have a serious suggestion in the interest of giving credit
        where credit is due. I would like to see the message number
        from the Z_Scale message archive and the Z_Scale URL
        accompany messages that have been copied from this site.
        This would identify Z_Scale as the source and give the reader
        the opportunity to consult the original message and to read
        follow-up postings to it on Z_Scale. The author would also be
        adequately identified with his or her contribution.

        2. material and information from other areas of this list such as
        the Train Show database have also been cut and pasted into the
        Armadillo site. I went to the trouble of doing the research myself
        and by gathering information supplied to me privately by
        members of this list. Once again, when copying with no change
        from the original the source should certainly be identified and
        permission obtained.

        3. there is a link to Z_Scale but in the incorrect category! I would
        like to see a clear reference to Z_Scale as being the source for
        articles and other information in the Armadillo site. In fact, every
        reference to Z_Scale should be an active link to this group. It
        would direct new members to this list which is the one of the key
        issues.

        In conclusion, I applaud the existence of quality web sites that
        promote Z. I believe that these sites should also promote the
        sources of their material and information. This is called
        reciprocity and respect.

        Regards,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
          Dear members of the list, dear Jeffrey MacHan

          First I would like to thank you all for visiting Armadillo's website.
          I'm very happy that my work of collecting and setting up valuable
          information for everybody interested in Z scale is so much
          appreciated. But in his statement of today, Jeffrey MacHan has set up
          some suggestions, which I think I have to answer here in public.

          I started the Armadillo infopool about four years ago when there were
          some first mailinglists on the web, but none of them was offering any
          kind of archive. I then simply thought it would be a good thing not
          to waste so many valuable inputs but to set up a kind of info-
          warehouse concerning any kind of problem that might occur in
          operating our little trains. I also set up an event and several
          literature pages. This time intensive service from my side was -
          without exception - very much appreciated by all visitors of my
          webpage.

          During the last years, my infopool has steadily grown with my aim to
          provide as much concentrated and comprehensive knowledge as possible
          to my visitors. As it always was a hobby for me, I never gave any
          thought about who was temporarely hosting an information, as long as
          I thought is was useful to the audience of z enthusiasts and nobody
          had any objection against it. Now, times seem to have changed...

          Jeffrey MacHan is absolutely right - I should have asked the
          permission of the authors of the collected articles. He is right,
          too, that about 20 percent of the tips and tricks of my infopool
          pages are based on statements/e-mails out of this z scale yahoo
          forum. The rest is mainly based upon discussions from other lists of
          which I am or was a member, too; some of them unfortunately are no
          longer online today. Last but not least, yes, 5 of 77 entries on my
          event pages are copied from his train show database, meanwhile all
          others were or are still being researched by myself. He is wrong
          concerning the missing source-indications on my pages: the author of
          a statement - the one and only owner of a copyright - is always named
          at the end of every article - as long as I could retrieve a name from
          the original e-mail. When I started with the infopool, I also put an
          e-mail or web-address as an additional reference to the author
          besides the name, but I had to find out that about 50 percent of
          these addresses tend to change within a year. So I decided to take
          off all of these contact possibilities in order not to send my
          visitors into space. And, in fact, there was and is an active link to
          the z scale yahoo forum on my link page, category Magazines and
          Mailinglists, where it simply belongs. Amen.

          So, if any author of a statement in my infopool has any objections
          against being in there, I will remove his or her statement at once -
          even if it would really be a pitty for the contents of the entire
          information provided upon a subject. Just let me know.

          Finally, I would like to make an free offer to Jeffrey MacHan and the
          z scale yahoo forum: send me a banner-graphic (preferably 234 x 60 or
          110 x 60 pixels, GIF-format), a link-URL and a link text to the z-
          scale yahoo forum, and I will put it on every infopool-page (both
          language versions) in the right down corner besides the page
          navigation, where it is always clearly visible. I think this would be
          the best place to promote the z scale forum. What do you think?

          Have a nice weekend - Jeffrey, I hope you don't mind my statement!
          Respectfully
          Patrick Guertler, http://www.armadillo.ch

        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
            Hello Patrick,

            I was looking forward to your reply. Thank you for the historical background
            concerning your site and infopool in particular.

            I especially like your offer to add a Z_Scale banner to the infopool pages.
            More on that later. I still think that it would be helpful if you
            mentioning exactly what you said below in the preamble statement on the
            infopool title page, i.e. that the articles contained in Infopool are the
            copyright of their respective authors.

            I respectfully resubmit that including the article archive # from Z_Scale
            would also help to identify the source mailing list. I imagine other lists
            offer mesage archiving. It seems to be one of the advantages of the Yahoo
            service in any case.

            As for a banner for Z_Scale, I think we should ask for submissions from the
            list for a graphic. We could then vote on the proposals. I'll certainly
            try to come up with something for the competition. In the meantime,
            Patrick, I'll send you a temporary banner so that you can add it to the
            infopool pages as you so generously offered.

            I'm with you on the need to promote Z and provide fine sources of
            information.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            )