Re: [z_scale] Web Site & SW9!!

  • Scott A. Whitmire
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31 10:08 PM
      At 5/31/01 02:54 PM, you wrote:
      >Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to know
      >how you went about creating that beauty.
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Jeffrey

      Does it run, and can you build...oh...about a dozen more? :-)

      Scott Whitmire
      If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
      programming must be the process of putting them in.
    • billy roden
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hello Jeff and List
        My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
        could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
        are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
        single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
        side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
        maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
        farther.

        Have a Great Day
        Billy Roden
        >Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to
        know
        >how you went about creating that beauty.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Jeffrey
        >

        >>From: billy8@...
        >>To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        >>Subject: [z_scale] Web Site
        >>Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:21 -0000
        >>
        >>If anyone is intrested new Z pictures have been posted on my DG&M Z
        >>page
        >>http://wanspages.prodigy.net/roden
        >>
        >>Thanks
        >>Billy

      • harold grady
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hi Billy, Once more you have triumphed over adversity
          your switcher is dynamic. Can they be manufactured for
          sale? I definitely could use about (4) This is where
          the thrust in z scale should be on locomotives and
          rolling stock. Speaking of rolling stock do you still
          have available your 89' trailer train flat cars I
          would
          like to order about $200.00 worth if you do.
          Thanks Harold Grady

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • billy roden
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
            Thank you Harold
            The switcher was built with manufacturing in mind. Of course it represents
            every meaning of the word pre production. At one time there was a discussion
            among some different folks about helping to make the different parts as
            talent allowed and making kits. But that seems to have went to the side. The
            molds are broke on the 89' flats :) but I still have the masters. Maybe
            after the NTS show I'll have time to come back to that part of the hobby.
            For those who have no interest in this I apologize for adding to your
            E-mail.

            Have a Great Day
            Billy Roden
            >Hi Billy, Once more you have triumphed over adversity
            >your switcher is dynamic. Can they be manufactured for
            >sale? I definitely could use about (4) This is where
            >the thrust in z scale should be on locomotives and
            >rolling stock. Speaking of rolling stock do you still
            >have available your 89' trailer train flat cars I
            >would
            >like to order about $200.00 worth if you do.
            > Thanks Harold Grady
            >--- billy roden <billy8@...> wrote:
            >> Hello Jeff and List
            >> My little switcher came out of a thread on this list
            >> and some who said it
            >> could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast
            >> resin. The side frames
            >> are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft
            >> using a worm gear. It is a
            >> single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro
            >> Trains with resin cast
            >> side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no
            >> problem. I'm hoping
            >> maybe someone with more skill than myself might want
            >> to take it a little
            >> farther.
            >>
            >> Have a Great Day
            >> Billy Roden

          • Jeffrey MacHan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
              Hi Billy,

              All I can say is, "You better bring with you to St.Louis!"

              ;-)
              JRM

              >From: "billy roden" <billy8@...>
              >To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Web Site & SW9!!
              >Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:38:59 -0500
              >
              >Hello Jeff and List
              >My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
              >could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
              >are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
              >single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
              >side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
              >maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
              >farther.
              >
              >Have a Great Day
              >Billy Roden

            • Robert Allbritton
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                Billy,

                Awesome.

                'nuff said.

                -Rob

                >Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to
                know
                >how you went about creating that beauty.
                >
                >Cheers,
                >Jeffrey
                >

                >>From: billy8@...
                >>To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                >>Subject: [z_scale] Web Site
                >>Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:21 -0000
                >>
                >>If anyone is intrested new Z pictures have been posted on my DG&M Z
                >>page
                >>http://wanspages.prodigy.net/roden
                >>
                >>Thanks
                >>Billy

              • John Jabour
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                  Billy
                  I'm currently designing a switcher like yours. I have a GP38
                  chassis that I built from scratch and I'm in the process of shorteneing
                  to a switcher size. Any chance you can take some close up
                  pictures of it or give me any more details or let me take it a step further?
                  I don't think the chassis will be the hard part, the shell will.
                  John
                  jjabour@...
                • Scott A. Whitmire
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                    At 6/1/01 05:38 AM, you wrote:
                    >Hello Jeff and List
                    >My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
                    >could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
                    >are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
                    >single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
                    >side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
                    >maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
                    >farther.
                    >
                    >Have a Great Day
                    >Billy Roden

                    That's what we get for saying it couldn't be done :-)

                    Your engineering solution seems about right. I knew an 8mm motor
                    would fit, but I was trying to figure out a way to power both trucks
                    AND include a flywheel. That's a nice piece of work. Now, I need to
                    get back to the drive-train design :-)

                    BTW, that would make a great article for Z-Track.