Re: [z_scale] Web Site & SW9!!

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2001
      Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to know
      how you went about creating that beauty.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      >From: billy8@...
      >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [z_scale] Web Site
      >Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:21 -0000
      >
      >If anyone is intrested new Z pictures have been posted on my DG&M Z
      >page
      >http://wanspages.prodigy.net/roden
      >
      >Thanks
      >Billy

    • Scott A. Whitmire
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2001
        At 5/31/01 02:54 PM, you wrote:
        >Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to know
        >how you went about creating that beauty.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Jeffrey

        Does it run, and can you build...oh...about a dozen more? :-)

        Scott Whitmire
        If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then
        programming must be the process of putting them in.
      • billy roden
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hello Jeff and List
          My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
          could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
          are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
          single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
          side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
          maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
          farther.

          Have a Great Day
          Billy Roden
          >Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to
          know
          >how you went about creating that beauty.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >Jeffrey
          >

          >>From: billy8@...
          >>To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          >>Subject: [z_scale] Web Site
          >>Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:21 -0000
          >>
          >>If anyone is intrested new Z pictures have been posted on my DG&M Z
          >>page
          >>http://wanspages.prodigy.net/roden
          >>
          >>Thanks
          >>Billy

        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi Billy,

            All I can say is, "You better bring with you to St.Louis!"

            ;-)
            JRM

            >From: "billy roden" <billy8@...>
            >To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Web Site & SW9!!
            >Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:38:59 -0500
            >
            >Hello Jeff and List
            >My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
            >could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
            >are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
            >single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
            >side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
            >maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
            >farther.
            >
            >Have a Great Day
            >Billy Roden

          • harold grady
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
              Hi Billy, Once more you have triumphed over adversity
              your switcher is dynamic. Can they be manufactured for
              sale? I definitely could use about (4) This is where
              the thrust in z scale should be on locomotives and
              rolling stock. Speaking of rolling stock do you still
              have available your 89' trailer train flat cars I
              would
              like to order about $200.00 worth if you do.
              Thanks Harold Grady

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • billy roden
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                Thank you Harold
                The switcher was built with manufacturing in mind. Of course it represents
                every meaning of the word pre production. At one time there was a discussion
                among some different folks about helping to make the different parts as
                talent allowed and making kits. But that seems to have went to the side. The
                molds are broke on the 89' flats :) but I still have the masters. Maybe
                after the NTS show I'll have time to come back to that part of the hobby.
                For those who have no interest in this I apologize for adding to your
                E-mail.

                Have a Great Day
                Billy Roden
                >Hi Billy, Once more you have triumphed over adversity
                >your switcher is dynamic. Can they be manufactured for
                >sale? I definitely could use about (4) This is where
                >the thrust in z scale should be on locomotives and
                >rolling stock. Speaking of rolling stock do you still
                >have available your 89' trailer train flat cars I
                >would
                >like to order about $200.00 worth if you do.
                > Thanks Harold Grady
                >--- billy roden <billy8@...> wrote:
                >> Hello Jeff and List
                >> My little switcher came out of a thread on this list
                >> and some who said it
                >> could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast
                >> resin. The side frames
                >> are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft
                >> using a worm gear. It is a
                >> single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro
                >> Trains with resin cast
                >> side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no
                >> problem. I'm hoping
                >> maybe someone with more skill than myself might want
                >> to take it a little
                >> farther.
                >>
                >> Have a Great Day
                >> Billy Roden

              • Robert Allbritton
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                  Billy,

                  Awesome.

                  'nuff said.

                  -Rob

                  >Hey, Billy, nice yard switcher...I'm sure that many of us would like to
                  know
                  >how you went about creating that beauty.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >Jeffrey
                  >

                  >>From: billy8@...
                  >>To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  >>Subject: [z_scale] Web Site
                  >>Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:40:21 -0000
                  >>
                  >>If anyone is intrested new Z pictures have been posted on my DG&M Z
                  >>page
                  >>http://wanspages.prodigy.net/roden
                  >>
                  >>Thanks
                  >>Billy

                • John Jabour
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Billy
                    I'm currently designing a switcher like yours. I have a GP38
                    chassis that I built from scratch and I'm in the process of shorteneing
                    to a switcher size. Any chance you can take some close up
                    pictures of it or give me any more details or let me take it a step further?
                    I don't think the chassis will be the hard part, the shell will.
                    John
                    jjabour@...
                  • Scott A. Whitmire
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
                      At 6/1/01 05:38 AM, you wrote:
                      >Hello Jeff and List
                      >My little switcher came out of a thread on this list and some who said it
                      >could not be done. The shell and walk ways are cast resin. The side frames
                      >are cast metal and the motor is 8mm single shaft using a worm gear. It is a
                      >single truck drive. The trucks are modified Micro Trains with resin cast
                      >side frames. Yes it runs it pulls four cars with no problem. I'm hoping
                      >maybe someone with more skill than myself might want to take it a little
                      >farther.
                      >
                      >Have a Great Day
                      >Billy Roden

                      That's what we get for saying it couldn't be done :-)

                      Your engineering solution seems about right. I knew an 8mm motor
                      would fit, but I was trying to figure out a way to power both trucks
                      AND include a flywheel. That's a nice piece of work. Now, I need to
                      get back to the drive-train design :-)

                      BTW, that would make a great article for Z-Track.