Re: Miniature sprockets and drive chains for future module

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3 7:06 PM
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

      > Well, I'm off on some more R&D for a future end module and I'm
      > wondering if anyone has seen or come across any info on tiny, and I
      > mean tiny sprockets and drive chains. I'm not talking chain like
      > decorative or key chain, but miniature bicycle looking chain.
      >
      > Karin turned me on to a site with small chain about 1/4" from link to
      > link, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of anything
      > smaller.
      >
      > Rats, I think R&D takes more time than construction!
      > Loren

      Loren

      http://www.jameco.com search for "chain" (robotic) chain has about 9
      links per inch and sprockets

      http://www.plastruct.com search for "CHAIN-10" chain has 20 links per
      inch and sprockets

      http://www.tamiya.com search for "ladder-chain & sprocket" best bet is
      to find a dealer here in USA for this product. Hobbytown USA carries
      it.

      OK, what other secrets can I reveal to you? :)

      Hobo Tim
    • loren snyder
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3 7:51 PM
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

        > OK, what other secrets can I reveal to you? :)
        > Hobo Tim

        Tim,

        Thankyou for the links......spending a lot of time reading and
        thinking...ouch!

        I'm working on a new idea, but don't want to spill the beans unless I
        can make it work. You have heard of Fulton's folly.....well, this
        could be Loren's folly if I can't get it to work.
        Back to my research.
        Loren
      • Larry Card
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3 11:34 PM
          >Well, I'm off on some more R&D for a future end module and I'm
          >wondering if anyone has seen or come across any info on tiny, and I
          >mean tiny sprockets and drive chains.

          One of our semiconductor manufacturing tools uses a small bicycle type chain
          that is 4mm from link pin to link pin (per link) and is 4mm wide. Can't
          help you for sprockets though, the sprocket is 4 inches in diameter. You
          might try contacting NEXX Systems in Billerica MA, tell them you are looking
          for the type of chain they use in their deposition chamber drive system.
          V/R
          Larry P. Card
          Franklinton NC
        • loren snyder
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4 12:04 AM
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Card" <lpcard@...> wrote:

            > One of our semiconductor manufacturing tools uses a small bicycle
            type chain that is 4mm from link pin to link pin (per link) and is 4mm
            wide. Can't help you for sprockets though, the sprocket is 4 inches
            in diameter. You might try contacting NEXX Systems in Billerica MA,
            tell them you are looking for the type of chain they use in their
            deposition chamber drive system.
            > V/R
            > Larry P. Card
            > Franklinton NC

            Larry,
            I found a chain like you describe and actually I am looking for a
            sprocket about 4" in diameter. Got any source for that sprocket?

            Loren
          • Larry Card
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4 12:49 AM
              >I found a chain like you describe and actually I am looking for a
              >sprocket about 4" in diameter. Got any source for that sprocket?

              Try the same source, NEXX Systems Inc. in Billarica MA. I don't know where
              they get them, but they should be able to point you in the right direction.
              You want the sprockets for the deposition chamber drive, one is connected to
              the motor and the other is an idler sprocket.
              V/R
              Larry P. Card
              Franklinton NC
            • Joe DAmato
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4 6:14 AM
                Loren,

                I was thinking about your project and remembered that Micro-Mark
                also sells drive sets...so does Plasti-struct. If that doesn't work
                I have electronic catalogs that have some of the systems you are
                looking for. I still don't think making your trees move around your
                layout is a good idea though... :o) Worked in Fantasia, but in Z???

                Joe
                MTL

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > OK, what other secrets can I reveal to you? :)
                > > Hobo Tim
                >

                > Tim,
                >
                > Thankyou for the links......spending a lot of time reading and
                > thinking...ouch!
                >
                > I'm working on a new idea, but don't want to spill the beans
                unless I
                > can make it work. You have heard of Fulton's folly.....well, this
                > could be Loren's folly if I can't get it to work.
                > Back to my research.
                > Loren

              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4 6:24 AM
                  Yes, it is a good idea. Loren is going to add microphones to each tree
                  and then we can finally determine if a tree falling in the forest when
                  no one is around makes any noise. Obviously he can't afford a mic on
                  every tree, so they have to move around. Regarding the chains - what is
                  he up to -- making garage doors like Robert Ray's Z Scale house??

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4 6:38 AM
                    Joe
                    Maybe Loren is working on somthing like the ENTS in Lord of the Rings. Good guy big trees. Wold
                    be great animation and keep kids hapy at shows.
                    Ed S

                    --- Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                    > Loren,
                    >
                    > I was thinking about your project and remembered that Micro-Mark
                    > also sells drive sets...so does Plasti-struct. If that doesn't work
                    > I have electronic catalogs that have some of the systems you are
                    > looking for. I still don't think making your trees move around your
                    > layout is a good idea though... :o) Worked in Fantasia, but in Z???
                    >
                    > Joe
                    > MTL
                    >

                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > OK, what other secrets can I reveal to you? :)
                    > > > Hobo Tim
                    > >

                    > > Tim,
                    > >
                    > > Thankyou for the links......spending a lot of time reading and
                    > > thinking...ouch!
                    > >
                    > > I'm working on a new idea, but don't want to spill the beans
                    > unless I
                    > > can make it work. You have heard of Fulton's folly.....well, this
                    > > could be Loren's folly if I can't get it to work.
                    > > Back to my research.
                    > > Loren

                  • Robert Ray
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4 7:19 AM
                      Larry Card wrote:
                      > One of our semiconductor manufacturing tools uses a small bicycle
                      type >chain that is 4mm from link pin to link pin (per link) and is
                      4mm wide.

                      Been in the fab since '78. I've seen those on an inline CVD that used
                      a small chain drive to move the wafers into the deposition chamber. It
                      was still about 1/4 the size of regular bicycle chain if I remember
                      right.

                      Being a yellow room guy, I have seen the nylon covered steel wire
                      ladder chains on a reticle cleaner, and they are about 2.5-3mm per link.

                      Probably the best luck at finding small chain like that is either a
                      surplus shop, or the RC section at Hobby Town.

                      -Robert
                    • Robert Ray
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4 7:24 AM
                        loren snyder wrote:
                        > I found a chain like you describe and actually I am looking for a
                        > sprocket about 4" in diameter. Got any source for that sprocket?

                        Check places like this, and look under motors or robotics:
                        <http://www.allelectronics.com/>
                        <http://www.alltronics.com/>
                        <http://www.cir.com/>

                        -Robert
                      • loren snyder
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4 9:26 AM
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                          > Loren,
                          >
                          > I was thinking about your project and remembered that Micro-Mark
                          > also sells drive sets...so does Plasti-struct. If that doesn't work
                          > I have electronic catalogs that have some of the systems you are
                          > looking for. I still don't think making your trees move around your
                          > layout is a good idea though... :o) Worked in Fantasia, but in Z???
                          > Joe
                          > MTL

                          Thanks Joe,
                          I did check out each site but found nothing suitable, BUT, I did find
                          a switch tender that looked interesting. Check this out guys and tell
                          me if anyone has ever tried one of these and if so, what do you think
                          of them?
                          http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83201

                          Moving trees?......hmmmm. Not a bad idea, it would make transporting
                          trees from the woods to the mill a lot easier and eliminate the need
                          for all your logging cars........on second thought, a bad idea for
                          you, no?

                          Loren
                        • Karin E Schwarzer
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 4 2:36 PM
                            You guys have it all wrong! Loren is going to make the SPOTTED OWLS fly from his Oregon trees to the trees in any other state except Oregon! But to top it off he needed a way to move bark beetles from his infested forest to the trees on any and all the modules connected to HIS. Man that guy has talent! Even the beetles are to scale, very impressive. He should win the "Moving Model of the Year" award for this one. The bad part is that no one will want to connect to his module at shows anymore... poor lonely guy.

                          • loren snyder
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4 5:02 PM
                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                              >Yes, it is a good idea. Loren is going to add microphones to each
                              >tree and then we can finally determine if a tree falling in the
                              >forest when no one is around makes any noise. Obviously he can't
                              >afford a mic on every tree, so they have to move around. Regarding
                              >the chains - what is he up to -- making garage doors like Robert
                              >Ray's Z Scale house??

                              No, the microphones are to be used as listening stations to catch any
                              bad guys trying to grow marijuana in my forest. Only hooty owls are
                              permitted amongst the fir boughs.
                            • loren snyder
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4 5:08 PM
                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E Schwarzer" <karin@...> wrote:

                                > You guys have it all wrong! Loren is going to make the SPOTTED OWLS
                                >fly from his Oregon trees to the trees in any other state except
                                >Oregon! But to top it off he needed a way to move bark beetles from
                                >his infested forest to the trees on any and all the modules connected
                                >to HIS. Man that guy has talent! Even the beetles are to scale,
                                >very impressive. He should win the "Moving Model of the Year" award
                                >for this one. The bad part is that no one will want to connect to
                                >his module at shows anymore... poor lonely guy

                                Ok, forget the beetle, and I won't put any garlic on my
                                hamburger......now can I play trains with you guys?

                                Truth is, I'm trying to devise a highway system with moving autos and
                                trucks for a new end module. See, that wasn't so top secret!

                                Joe just came over and we buzzed for a while. Both have some neat
                                things up our sleeves.......can't tell anybody, we'd have to kill
                                ourselves...
                              • Allan Borg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 4 5:50 PM
                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                                  > Loren,
                                  >
                                  > I was thinking about your project and remembered that Micro-Mark
                                  > also sells drive sets...so does Plasti-struct. If that doesn't work
                                  > I have electronic catalogs that have some of the systems you are
                                  > looking for. I still don't think making your trees move around your
                                  > layout is a good idea though... :o) Worked in Fantasia, but in Z???
                                  >
                                  > Joe
                                  > MTL
                                  > "and anon methought the wood began to move......"
                                  Act 5 scene V, MacBeth
                                  Allan Borg
                                • Jay Greer
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 5 12:39 PM
                                    Hi Loren,
                                    Here is a source for some really tiny chain and sprockets.
                                    http://www.smallparts.com/
                                    The chain and sprockets are Delrin and are self lubricating as well as
                                    solvent and acid resistant.
                                    The chain measures .1227" link pin center to center.
                                    The links are .082"wide and .162 in height.
                                    The site is a virtual bonanza of small parts, plastics and metals for
                                    modelers and medical applications.
                                    Enjoy!
                                    Jay Greer