Re: [z_scale] Re: Are used Marklin prices increasing?

  • grumpy@gbpackers.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2001
      Bob

      I'm not sure whether they are still available but there used to be items 8567
      (pair of curved turnouts) and 8561 (pair of straight turnouts). Not part of
      any set

      Tom
      Oz

      > I was told the same thing from a regular eBay seller in the UK
      > after I picked up a "new" (haven't received it yet) 5-pole loco from a
      > German seller for US$75 and a Marklin T3 track set for $110
      > with no opposition.
      > He said it was very unusual but was kind enough to sell me a
      > controller for US$20 because of my large order.
      > I even managed to pick up some 2nd hand rolling stock very cheap
      > here in Australia, very unusual.
      > I still find track hard to get cheap though. I'm looking for more turnouts
      > and they're just too expensive unless you buy a complete track set and
      > even then you only get two turnouts. I wish Marklin had a turnout only set.
      >
      > --
      > Regards, Bob

      Get your own email account at gbpackers.com today!

      Click here <http://www.packers.com/email/> to open your account.
    • Bob Byrne
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2001
        Hi Tom,

        > Bob
        >
        > I'm not sure whether they are still available but there used to be items 8567
        > (pair of curved turnouts) and 8561 (pair of straight turnouts). Not part of
        > any set

        Walther's don't list them anymore (and they seem to list everything) so I
        assume they have been discontinued, but I'll check with my overseas
        suppliers. Thanks for the heads up :-)

        --
        Regards, Bob
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2001
          On the subject of prices and availability of Z items I have noticed
          the following:

          1. in time almost every imaginable item in Z comes up on eBay.

          2. prices for new Märklin items from dealers listing on eBay tend
          to drop over time.

          3. starting bids for used and like new items are much higher than a
          while ago. I believe that sellers have dropped the 'reserve' for a
          higher starting bid. This results in many more items with no bids.
          I don't think that there are necessarily more unsold items than
          before since many that were listed with reserve prices did not sell
          although they attracted bids.

          4. there is a disturbing tendency for items to be listed as New in
          Box when they have in fact been returned to a dealer. These items
          may have slight defects such as binding that are not visible to the
          naked eye. I, for one, am more cautious than ever about attractively
          priced NEW products. Remember, Buyer Beware still holds true...so
          check out the sellers return policy and deal with a reputable seller.

          5. eBay is a terrific way to build a Z collection for newcomers to
          the hobby. Rolling stock can be purchased at great savings over
          catalog prices and availability is good although unpredictable. Once
          again Patience pays.

          6. Using the 'My eBay' function "favorite search" which emails you
          when something you are looking for is listed is a super way to
          practice the patience adage and to save you the trouble of checking
          listings every day. If you're looking for switches, this function is
          a good way to get a notice when they come up for auction. You will
          have to create a My eBay page and then complete the search criteria
          on your 'favorites' page.

          7. summer is the slow period for sellers, listings drop off
          dramatically so there may be a few bargains to be had. I suggest
          that you contact sellers directly to ask for their 'for sale' lists.
          They may be willing to make a deal for several items. Also grouping
          multiple purchases will save postage big time.

          8. I have found that Paypal works great although signing up is
          cumbersome. There is no charge to buyers using Paypal. Commercial
          sellers pay a service charge and commission.

          9. It pays to contact sellers to ask questions. Many auctions offer
          very minimal info on items so again, Buyer Beware!

          10. I bid with the knowledge that if the auction goes wrong there's
          not much eBay's 'binding contract' warning can do. I risk only what
          I know I can afford to lose, just like the stock market!

          These are my personal opinions and are based on my experience with
          eBay as a buyer and a seller over the last 2 years. Your results may
          vary ;-)

          Cheers,
          JRM
        • barry allen
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2001
            im new to this site. can you help me . im looking for a 8100 miniclub tairn
            set marklin i need one for my fathers birthday. can you help me find one
            and a price i should pay. thanks in advance barryallen50@...

            >From: dgsteve@...
            >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [z_scale] Re: Are used Marklin prices increasing?
            >Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:36:10 -0000
            >
            >New Marklin Z yes is higher but as a seller and active Z buyer on
            >zbay I would say that the time to get deals is every summer but many
            >sellers take time off pushing up $'s due to lack of volume listings.
            >I over the last 3 years of ebay and thousands of listings I've seen I
            >think that as more enthusiasts that enter the Z-computer enhanced
            >hobby prices will continue to drop as opposed to rise, make a note of
            >how many items are in Z total and compare in 3 months. I think there
            >will always be rare high priced Z models available and retail+
            >popping up once and a while but hopefully more used and project
            >oriented peices which I prefer. Z is a big part of the future of
            >model railroading, in my 33year old opinion as many younger hobbiest
            >lack the space and dedication required by larger scales. Like watches
            >and mechanical things of the past miniturization is enivitable. The
            >precision of Z is what drew me to it and hobby jewely making is not
            >as rewarding or entertaining to me plating chemicals and all. Just
            >one look, that's all it took yeah....just... Z is highly addictive
            >but very rewarding in its use. Please excuse my bad grammer, S

            barry or anita allen