Re: Weathering wood box car

  • Russ Meier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      Lionel,

      Out of curiosity -- what wash ratio do you use for your paints? And do you use alcohol or
      water to dilute?

      Russ Meier
      Milwaukee, WI
      MILW, UP, and CP in Z.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lionel Gazeau" <zeelionel@...> wrote:

      > Russ
      >
      > Apply a VERY thin wash of grimy black, this will bring out the details
      > and each board will be visible. I use acrylics. this might be all you
      > need.
      >
      > If you want you can first take a boxcar red or a paint that is close
      > to the original color and add a little bit of white or yellow to make
      > it look like faded paint, dry brush the car with that, especially the
      > bottom portion, then a thin wash of grimy black.
      >
      > Apply rust to the metal parts including the trucks but not the
      > journals or wheels which would be oily greasy black.
      >
      > You'll find several examples of car weathering in my website including
      > some nicely done cars by Robert Ray. I am also planning articles for
      > Ztrack on just this subject.
      >
      > Lionel
      >
      > http://theotherlionel.com

    • Lionel Gazeau
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Russ

        My off-line email should have answered that but for the benefit of others:

        For a wash I use one drop of paint to six drops of water to which I
        add a tiny tiny sliver of soap. You can also cut the water with a few
        of drops of alcohol, or, believe it or not, Future Floor Wax works too.

        I guess it depends on the effect you are trying to achieve. A very
        thin wash will only stain depressed ares like between boards, a
        thicker wash will do the same but will stain the rest of the car too.
        The good thing about acrylics is you can just wipe or rinse off what
        you don't like.

        Lionel

        http://theotherlionel.com

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Russ Meier" <agentink_and_zfan@...>