Weathering wood box car

  • Russ Meier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hello fellow Z-sters,

      Well, that lovely wife of mine has done it again -- she went out and found a place in
      Milwaukee that has LOTS of older Microtrains cars. She picked up a year 2000 CP 40'
      wood box car for me yesterday. It's number 19442. A quick scan of the unofficial
      microtrains release report (UMTRR) shows it was a March 2000 release. It is clearly brand
      new -- in the original box with original packing, and no signs of wear/tear/or even use.

      I thought it was great that she thought of getting me something train-related "just
      because". Anyway, here's my question -- I've never had a wood boxcar before. How do
      you weather wood? Any thoughts? I would want it to be quite old because I'll plan on
      pulling it around with the GEEP. I realize that this car is steam era -- but what the hey --
      it's MY train! The color is boxcar red with white lettering. I'm looking for suggestions/
      ideas for weathering with and without an airbrush.

      Grafitti of course, but what else on wood...?

      Russ Meier
      Milwaukee, WI
      MILW, UP, and CP in Z.
    • Tom Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Are you saying that this car is made of wood or are
        you saying that this is a plastic model of a prototype
        that was made of wood?

        --- Russ Meier <agentink_and_zfan@...> wrote:

        > Hello fellow Z-sters,
        >
        > Well, that lovely wife of mine has done it again --
        > she went out and found a place in
        > Milwaukee that has LOTS of older Microtrains cars.
        > She picked up a year 2000 CP 40'
        > wood box car for me yesterday. It's number 19442.
        > A quick scan of the unofficial
        > microtrains release report (UMTRR) shows it was a
        > March 2000 release. It is clearly brand
        > new -- in the original box with original packing,
        > and no signs of wear/tear/or even use.
        >
        > I thought it was great that she thought of getting
        > me something train-related "just
        > because". Anyway, here's my question -- I've never
        > had a wood boxcar before. How do
        > you weather wood? Any thoughts? I would want it to
        > be quite old because I'll plan on
        > pulling it around with the GEEP. I realize that
        > this car is steam era -- but what the hey --
        > it's MY train! The color is boxcar red with white
        > lettering. I'm looking for suggestions/
        > ideas for weathering with and without an airbrush.
        >
        > Grafitti of course, but what else on wood...?
        >

        > Russ Meier
        > Milwaukee, WI
        > MILW, UP, and CP in Z.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Russ Meier
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          Hi Tom,

          It's a 40' double-sheathed wood box car. The model is plastic, of course, but the
          prototype was wood. It was built in 1901!

          Russ Meier
          Milwaukee, WI
          MILW, UP, and CP in Z.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> wrote:

          > Are you saying that this car is made of wood or are
          > you saying that this is a plastic model of a prototype
          > that was made of wood?
          >
          > --- Russ Meier <agentink_and_zfan@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello fellow Z-sters,
          > >
          > > Well, that lovely wife of mine has done it again --
          > > she went out and found a place in
          > > Milwaukee that has LOTS of older Microtrains cars.
          > > She picked up a year 2000 CP 40'
          > > wood box car for me yesterday. It's number 19442.
          > > A quick scan of the unofficial
          > > microtrains release report (UMTRR) shows it was a
          > > March 2000 release. It is clearly brand
          > > new -- in the original box with original packing,
          > > and no signs of wear/tear/or even use.
          > >
          > > I thought it was great that she thought of getting
          > > me something train-related "just
          > > because". Anyway, here's my question -- I've never
          > > had a wood boxcar before. How do
          > > you weather wood? Any thoughts? I would want it to
          > > be quite old because I'll plan on
          > > pulling it around with the GEEP. I realize that
          > > this car is steam era -- but what the hey --
          > > it's MY train! The color is boxcar red with white
          > > lettering. I'm looking for suggestions/
          > > ideas for weathering with and without an airbrush.
          > >
          > > Grafitti of course, but what else on wood...?
          > >

          > > Russ Meier
          > > Milwaukee, WI
          > > MILW, UP, and CP in Z.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Lionel Gazeau
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
            Russ

            Apply a VERY thin wash of grimy black, this will bring out the details
            and each board will be visible. I use acrylics. this might be all you
            need.

            If you want you can first take a boxcar red or a paint that is close
            to the original color and add a little bit of white or yellow to make
            it look like faded paint, dry brush the car with that, especially the
            bottom portion, then a thin wash of grimy black.

            Apply rust to the metal parts including the trucks but not the
            journals or wheels which would be oily greasy black.

            You'll find several examples of car weathering in my website including
            some nicely done cars by Robert Ray. I am also planning articles for
            Ztrack on just this subject.

            Lionel

            http://theotherlionel.com
          • Russ Meier
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
              Lionel,

              Out of curiosity -- what wash ratio do you use for your paints? And do you use alcohol or
              water to dilute?

              Russ Meier
              Milwaukee, WI
              MILW, UP, and CP in Z.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lionel Gazeau" <zeelionel@...> wrote:

              > Russ
              >
              > Apply a VERY thin wash of grimy black, this will bring out the details
              > and each board will be visible. I use acrylics. this might be all you
              > need.
              >
              > If you want you can first take a boxcar red or a paint that is close
              > to the original color and add a little bit of white or yellow to make
              > it look like faded paint, dry brush the car with that, especially the
              > bottom portion, then a thin wash of grimy black.
              >
              > Apply rust to the metal parts including the trucks but not the
              > journals or wheels which would be oily greasy black.
              >
              > You'll find several examples of car weathering in my website including
              > some nicely done cars by Robert Ray. I am also planning articles for
              > Ztrack on just this subject.
              >
              > Lionel
              >
              > http://theotherlionel.com

            • Lionel Gazeau
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
                Russ

                My off-line email should have answered that but for the benefit of others:

                For a wash I use one drop of paint to six drops of water to which I
                add a tiny tiny sliver of soap. You can also cut the water with a few
                of drops of alcohol, or, believe it or not, Future Floor Wax works too.

                I guess it depends on the effect you are trying to achieve. A very
                thin wash will only stain depressed ares like between boards, a
                thicker wash will do the same but will stain the rest of the car too.
                The good thing about acrylics is you can just wipe or rinse off what
                you don't like.

                Lionel

                http://theotherlionel.com

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Russ Meier" <agentink_and_zfan@...>