Locomotive Issues

  • thompsondl
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      First off I am completely new at all this so I'm probably doing
      something wrong. But I have a problem with my locomotive moving. It
      moves real jerky and stops every 3 or 4 inches. Everything is brand
      new and I got a small loop built on my layout and I put the train on
      there just to do some testing. I thought it might be my track since it
      seems to move better in certain location but I did a test where I just
      put the locomotive on the section of track that has the power
      connected to it and then used one other piece of straight track. These
      too pieces are Marklin where as my layout uses mostly non-marklin flex
      track and hence why I thought maybe I had a track issue. Anyways, the
      locomotive performed the same on the two pieces of Marklin track. I
      found that if I tapped the top of the locomotive it would move maybe
      for an inch or so and then stop. I figure I'll take it back to the
      shop I bought it from and see if they can make it work on their test
      track. Anybody have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong or do you
      think I got a defective train?

      Thanks
    • Lajos Thek
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2006
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thompsondl" <thompsondl@...> wrote:

        > I have a problem with my locomotive moving. It
        > moves real jerky and stops every 3 or 4 inches.

        Can you share more information? What kind of
        locomotive doing this strange move? What kind
        of controller you're using?

        Lajos
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2006
          Hello Thompsondl,
          Sounds like the pickup wipers or wires to the motor
          are not making good contact. Use a little contact cleaner
          (rotor points on distributors often benefited from this
          treatment). Or check to see if the BeCu contacts are
          springing against the driver wheels. If there seems to
          be no improvement and you bought it from a dealer,
          take it back and have it either fixed or replaced.

          Other Zgroup members are far more versed about these
          issues than I and l bet that they will have even better solutions
          for you to try. Hang on for a few hours and you'll see!

          Good luck and regards,
          Reynard

          On May 31, 2006, at 10:57 AM, thompsondl wrote:

          > First off I am completely new at all this so I'm probably doing
          > something wrong. But I have a problem with my locomotive moving. It
          > moves real jerky and stops every 3 or 4 inches. Everything is brand
          > new and I got a small loop built on my layout and I put the train on
          > there just to do some testing. I thought it might be my track since it
          > seems to move better in certain location but I did a test where I just
          > put the locomotive on the section of track that has the power
          > connected to it and then used one other piece of straight track. These
          > too pieces are Marklin where as my layout uses mostly non-marklin flex
          > track and hence why I thought maybe I had a track issue. Anyways, the
          > locomotive performed the same on the two pieces of Marklin track. I
          > found that if I tapped the top of the locomotive it would move maybe
          > for an inch or so and then stop. I figure I'll take it back to the
          > shop I bought it from and see if they can make it work on their test
          > track. Anybody have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong or do you
          > think I got a defective train?
          >
          > Thanks

          > G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale
          > Scale model train Z scale model train G scale train
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > Visit your group "z_scale" on the web.

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2006
            On Mer, 2006-05-31 at 17:57 +0000, thompsondl wrote:
            > First off I am completely new at all this so I'm probably doing
            > something wrong. But I have a problem with my locomotive moving. It
            > moves real jerky and stops every 3 or 4 inches.

            Sounds like pickup problems

            > found that if I tapped the top of the locomotive it would move maybe
            > for an inch or so and then stop.

            Definitely sounds like pickup problems.

            If it was an old locomotive doing this then I would suggest cleaning it,
            but if it is new then I'd suggest taking it back because from new the
            loco should be clean and pickup problems may be crooked axles,
            mis-adjusted wipers and other things you don't want to fix yourself.

            Alan