Shute layout on Cover Page

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26 12:57 PM
      Hi Gang,

      This week's cover page photo was submitted by Howard Shute.

      Click on the image to see the larger photo from
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale

      *****
      I thought to share a description and two pictures. (See both
      pictures at:
      1.jpg
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale/files/CoverPhotos/Shute0
      2.jpg )

      The layout is built upon 3 feet by 5 feet piece of plywood
      reinforced with 1 x 2 battens.

      The elevated track and scenery are polystyrene beaded foam
      layers.  Rockwork and retaining walls are plaster, both cast and
      modeled.  The trackwork is a double track mainline on three
      levels with a three track division yard with lead, three passing
      sidings, two stub sidings, one junction and two reversing loops
      which operate in each direction.  Much of the trackwork is buried
      in the scenery.  Access to the buried track is through holes in
      the
      plywood beneath the scenery hills such that every inch of track is
      accessible.  There is a scratchbuilt control panel with two cabs
      and two handcontrollers with outlets on the control panel and
      back of the layout.

      There are  22 blocks and 19 turnouts.  The basic benchwork,
      trackwork and wiring were done in 1979 at a time when I was
      less sophisticated (kinda dumb actually) about layout design. I
      left little room for buildings or an operating theme of carrying
      goods and folk from one place to another.

      I have installed a Relco unit on one of my power packs. The
      operation has improved as advertised. My interest in my layout
      has returned thanks to the improved operation.

      With warm regards,
      Howard Shute

      *****

      Last week's image was provided by Scott Shapiro
      and shows his very detailed layout suffering the effects of a
      major 'blizzard'.

      You can still see all the preceding cover photos at:

      ************
      As always, fellow Zealots, we are always happy to post your
      layout, model or diorama photos on the Z_Scale cover page.
      Upload them to the 'Files - Cover Photos' section or send them
      to the listowner via email.

      Happy modeling,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      CEO Val Ease Central Railroad
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hi Gang,

        This week's cover page photo is in honour of Spring and the
        beginning of the tourist train excursion season.

        Click on the image to see the larger photo from
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale

        *****
        The UP railbus is a redecaled shell from the Märklin track
        cleaning engine placed on a standard railbus chassis. It runs
        reliably but I should see about installing a 5 pole motor to get
        better slow speed operation.

        The tourists are seated in a scratch built gondola placed on a
        Märklin caboose chassis. This style gondola actually runs on
        tourist roads in California and elsewhere. The train is usually
        completed with a UP "Golden Spike" caboose where eager
        travelers vie for seats in the cupola for the breathtaking trip over
        Chute Falls and the original timber trestle. Watch for wildlife
        along the way!

        Tours leave every 3 hours during the spring and summer from
        Centre Val Ease station up to Upper Centre Val Ease where the
        tourists can visit the Dinosaur park and descend I.T.S. Mine. A
        gourmet meal is served at the lodge at noon. Snacks are
        available at the depot and great souvenirs are offered in the gift
        shops.

        Special event tours are organised throughout the year.

        Call or email early to reseve your seats on the excursion.

        *****

        Last week's image was provided by Howard Shute
        and shows his European style layout in operation.