how does one make a wye from Z sectional track?

  • yllawk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      hi to all,
      I'm a fairly new convert to Z scale. It has been 35 years since I did
      trackplans using sectional track. Is there a website where I might
      find track planning examples using Z sectional track? Specifically,
      I'd like to see if/how a "wye" could be laid out. That 13 degree angle
      in the turnouts has me stumped.

      -Karl in Kalifornia
    • Brad Saunders
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        Karl,

        Not an easy task ... suggest you consider using flex track.

        Anyway, I tried your little experiment (see WyeExample.pdf in the
        Files section) using the 490mm curve sections, those being the ones
        that replicate the curve in the Marklin turnouts ... it resulted in a
        40" mainline and the branch turnout completing within roughly 24",
        rather a large area. Also, I didn't specifically consider the actual
        straight sections that would be required to fill in the straight
        mainline between the turnouts or a small straight section needed in
        one of the branches. Finally, I'm sure that there is a slight degree
        of error in this arrangement although I'm fairly certain that that
        error would be absorbed in the relatively large wye without issue.

        You might be able to do it in slightly less space using the other
        radius curves but you would likely have to include some of the 490mm
        curves to return to parallel off the turnouts and that would introduce
        some ugly S-curves. Again, I suggest using flex track.

        Brad