To build models that appear "realistic"

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      "Richard Butler" <rbutler77@...> wrote:

      > What scale can be made to look more realistic N-scale or Z-scale?
      > Rick B.

      Hi Rick,

      Welcome to Z.

      Realistic is in the eyes of the beholder. In HO scale there is
      Malcom Furlow who models New Mexico desert scenes. His scenery is
      described by many as caricatures or fanciful. He is a professional
      artist and has a large following with the HO scale modelers. There
      is also scenery done by George Sellios (SP?). He models the gritty
      look of industrial East Coast life during the steam engine era. In a
      way his modeling is also a caricature but it conveys an entirely
      different feeling. George is a manufacturer of highly detailed HO
      scale structure kits.

      In Z scale we have models built by many talented model makers.. For
      a scale reference I have posted to the Files section in the Bill
      H 'Odds and ends' folder two photos from Lionel Gazeau. One shows
      an O scale and a Z scale model of the same structure. You can see
      that if you model in Z scale, you could include a whole town in the
      space that is taken up by the O scale model.

      The O scale model shows how more minute detail can be modeled in O
      scale so the viewer becomes drawn into the minutia. "Look at the
      little oranges." The Z scale model, on the other hand, shows the
      total scene and conveys an entirely different artistic feel. "I saw
      a building just like that in Mexico". Of course, if you desire, you
      can also include oranges and dried garlic in your Z scale model.

      The photo of the Chama station shows the relationship between
      Lionel's hand and the size of the Z scale model. An N scale model
      will be less than twice that size. A HO scale model will require two
      hands to hold and an O scale model will requie a base for the
      structure to sit upon.

      I don't know how much, if any of these models are built of wood.

      Robert Ray uses a laser cut machine and much of the basis of his
      model are made from wood. Also his models are models of things that,
      in real life, are basically built from wood.

      The Chama station is a wooden structure but I don't know what
      modeling materials Lionel used. I don't believe that he utilizes a
      Laser cutting machine.

      In a direct answer to your question: What scale can be made to look
      more realistic N-scale or Z-scale? My answer would be, depends on
      your talent and the perception of the viewer.

      I have posted these two photos without Lionel's permission so I will
      remove them in 7 days.

      I hope that this helps.

      Bill H.
      El Toro, CA
    • Robert Ray
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        I like to scratchbuild things in Z out of wood too. N Scale can be
        made more realistic, as it's closer to real size. But there is no
        challenge making realistic N Scale stuff, You want Z! It's much more
        satisfying to make a realistic grist mill with waterwheel in Z than in
        N. That's something I have wanted to do too, but never got around to it.

        Check out this guy's Z Scale scratchbuilding:
        <http://theotherlionel.com/Zscale_home.html>

        Lionel can get down. Most of his photos show a coin so you can see how
        small his work really is.

        -Robert
      • Bill Hoshiko
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi,

          I have made reference to a few professional model builders. Here is
          are links to view their work.

          Malcom Furlow's G scale layouts
          http://www.polyweb.com/dans_rr/blog/?page_id=7
          Malcom's HO layout
          http://www.chriscomport.com/index.php?site=gscale
          Malcom is an artist and in a strict sense he is not a model
          railroader. After appearing in Model Railroader Magazine he gets
          commissioned to build model layouts. His work is expensive because
          it is not his principle field of activity.

          George Sellios
          http://www.trevinocircle.com/FSM.asp
          George is a manufacturer of HO scale structures.

          Lionel Gazeau
          http://theotherlionel.com/
          Lionel is also an artist who appears to concentrates his work within
          a model railroad atmosphere.

          I get no renumeration from any of these professionals and I have
          never communicated with any of them. I am simply a huge model
          railroad fan. If you have a lot of time to surf the net, check out
          this site:
          http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links-pg3

          Although my name appears in the URL it is not mine.

          Bill H.
          El Toro, CA
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
            Whooops, I got Malcom's links backwards.

            Bill H.
            El Toro, CA
          • johnegert
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
              Richard----- The real trump cards in Z scale structure building are the
              arts of photoetching and laser cutting. Check our cyber-pal Reynard's
              work at Micronart, and the equally wonderful Microstructures-- these
              kits are as good or better than ANYTHING in any scale, bar none. Add
              Robt. Ray's kits, the various paper kits and others,and, though you
              won't have quite the variety, you'll have all the quality. As for
              scenery, the beauty of Z is the ability to approach scale scenery-to-
              train/structures ratios so as to give the appearance of a RR built
              through geography, rather than geography added to a layout. I think the
              advent of Microtrains turnouts will facilitate some large layouts, and
              Z will garner publicity beyond "curiosity".
              It's a good time to get on board.......
              john