Re: What can be made to look more realistic?

  • Adam Amick
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      Good question, Rick.

      Detailing can be as extensive as you desire in any scale. However,
      commercially available parts for doing so are obviously more
      abundant in N scale than Z. The difference comes down to rivet
      counting... If you can't see the rivets, you can't count them, can
      you?

      I think it's a perspective thing that can be said is the difference.
      As you can model more in the same space in N versus HO, the same
      lies true for Z versus N. The biggest benefit, may be just that...
      Building BIG.

      If you want to model an industry or mountain in Z scale, you will
      have a much easier time modeling it to scale, or have to use less
      selective compression than you will in N. Consider a yard. A
      reasonably-sized freight yard could be a mile long in real life. In
      N scale that's going to be 33 feet, and in Z only 24. You could
      scale down and still get a lot more of the feel in Z than N.

      Here's another consideration: The typical Z Top module we have is
      18" deep, with two mainlines on one-inch centers 14 and 15 inches
      from the rear of the module. Allowing 1/2" from the track for right-
      of-way clearance (roughly 9 scale feet), that leaves 13.5" of
      modeling space (with straight track). That's 247.5 scale FEET to
      work with... Lots of space. To get that same space in N scale the
      module would have to be 24" deep, and the track closest to the
      skyboard (rear) would be 19" out.

      The neat aspect of Z modules 18 or 20 inches deep is this: You can
      mount them on 20" shelf brackets on the wall, and the difference to
      a comparable N setup would be an additional 8-12 inches of aisle
      space.

      Check the articles in Model Railroader or listen to layout builders
      on Allen Keller videos when they're asked "what would you do
      differently?" and the most common answer will be "wider aisles".

      So build away! Either scale is great, but you can really test your
      abilities in Z... Somewhere even many N scalers fear to tread.

      Adam

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Butler" <rbutler77@...>
      wrote:

      > What scale can be made to look more realistic N-scale or Z-scale?
      What
      > I am more interested in is more the structures and scenery that
      the
      > train itself. I have been a woodworker and cabinetmaker for going
      on
      > 30+ years and have mastered the skills and I am somewhat of an
      artist
      > to boot. I have just found out about the world of train modeling
      and I
      > am highly excited in getting started. I would like to start with
      wood
      > kits until I get use to the scale then do it from scratch. I have
      seen
      > many wood kits but really, no one shows them in scale to something
      of
      > known size such as a hand or a pack of cigarettes. Therefore, I
      cannot
      > tell what size would be easier to make realistic and in more
      detail.
      > My first goal and interest is realism, I want to do a mill by a
      stream
      > with a water wheel in mountains and have a train locomotive in the
      > early years of railroads that travels by it. Kind of like my own
      > little peace of mind. Will anyone please enlighten me in these
      areas?
      > Thank you very much for your time and thought.
      > Rick B.

    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
        "Richard Butler" <rbutler77@...> wrote:

        > What scale can be made to look more realistic N-scale or Z-scale?
        > Rick B.

        Hi Rick,

        Welcome to Z.

        Realistic is in the eyes of the beholder. In HO scale there is
        Malcom Furlow who models New Mexico desert scenes. His scenery is
        described by many as caricatures or fanciful. He is a professional
        artist and has a large following with the HO scale modelers. There
        is also scenery done by George Sellios (SP?). He models the gritty
        look of industrial East Coast life during the steam engine era. In a
        way his modeling is also a caricature but it conveys an entirely
        different feeling. George is a manufacturer of highly detailed HO
        scale structure kits.

        In Z scale we have models built by many talented model makers.. For
        a scale reference I have posted to the Files section in the Bill
        H 'Odds and ends' folder two photos from Lionel Gazeau. One shows
        an O scale and a Z scale model of the same structure. You can see
        that if you model in Z scale, you could include a whole town in the
        space that is taken up by the O scale model.

        The O scale model shows how more minute detail can be modeled in O
        scale so the viewer becomes drawn into the minutia. "Look at the
        little oranges." The Z scale model, on the other hand, shows the
        total scene and conveys an entirely different artistic feel. "I saw
        a building just like that in Mexico". Of course, if you desire, you
        can also include oranges and dried garlic in your Z scale model.

        The photo of the Chama station shows the relationship between
        Lionel's hand and the size of the Z scale model. An N scale model
        will be less than twice that size. A HO scale model will require two
        hands to hold and an O scale model will requie a base for the
        structure to sit upon.

        I don't know how much, if any of these models are built of wood.

        Robert Ray uses a laser cut machine and much of the basis of his
        model are made from wood. Also his models are models of things that,
        in real life, are basically built from wood.

        The Chama station is a wooden structure but I don't know what
        modeling materials Lionel used. I don't believe that he utilizes a
        Laser cutting machine.

        In a direct answer to your question: What scale can be made to look
        more realistic N-scale or Z-scale? My answer would be, depends on
        your talent and the perception of the viewer.

        I have posted these two photos without Lionel's permission so I will
        remove them in 7 days.

        I hope that this helps.

        Bill H.
        El Toro, CA
      • Robert Ray
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
          I like to scratchbuild things in Z out of wood too. N Scale can be
          made more realistic, as it's closer to real size. But there is no
          challenge making realistic N Scale stuff, You want Z! It's much more
          satisfying to make a realistic grist mill with waterwheel in Z than in
          N. That's something I have wanted to do too, but never got around to it.

          Check out this guy's Z Scale scratchbuilding:
          <http://theotherlionel.com/Zscale_home.html>

          Lionel can get down. Most of his photos show a coin so you can see how
          small his work really is.

          -Robert
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
            Hi,

            I have made reference to a few professional model builders. Here is
            are links to view their work.

            Malcom Furlow's G scale layouts
            http://www.polyweb.com/dans_rr/blog/?page_id=7
            Malcom's HO layout
            http://www.chriscomport.com/index.php?site=gscale
            Malcom is an artist and in a strict sense he is not a model
            railroader. After appearing in Model Railroader Magazine he gets
            commissioned to build model layouts. His work is expensive because
            it is not his principle field of activity.

            George Sellios
            http://www.trevinocircle.com/FSM.asp
            George is a manufacturer of HO scale structures.

            Lionel Gazeau
            http://theotherlionel.com/
            Lionel is also an artist who appears to concentrates his work within
            a model railroad atmosphere.

            I get no renumeration from any of these professionals and I have
            never communicated with any of them. I am simply a huge model
            railroad fan. If you have a lot of time to surf the net, check out
            this site:
            http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links-pg3

            Although my name appears in the URL it is not mine.

            Bill H.
            El Toro, CA
          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
              Whooops, I got Malcom's links backwards.

              Bill H.
              El Toro, CA
            • johnegert
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
                Richard----- The real trump cards in Z scale structure building are the
                arts of photoetching and laser cutting. Check our cyber-pal Reynard's
                work at Micronart, and the equally wonderful Microstructures-- these
                kits are as good or better than ANYTHING in any scale, bar none. Add
                Robt. Ray's kits, the various paper kits and others,and, though you
                won't have quite the variety, you'll have all the quality. As for
                scenery, the beauty of Z is the ability to approach scale scenery-to-
                train/structures ratios so as to give the appearance of a RR built
                through geography, rather than geography added to a layout. I think the
                advent of Microtrains turnouts will facilitate some large layouts, and
                Z will garner publicity beyond "curiosity".
                It's a good time to get on board.......
                john