The Ultimat Rail Fan

  • Jay Greer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi All,
      Here is one for us to ponder. How far can we go with our love of railroading?
      The late father of my good buddy Tom Hazlett was a Märklin collector. Both
      Tom and I got the bug from him. Tom, who lives in Novato CA just happened
      to end up with a neighbor who has the largest Märklin HO layout I have ever
      seen, 2,300sq. ft.! A whole second house full of trains behind his house! I get
      to run them when I visit. But here is the ringer. The neighbor also collects full
      size trains complete with locomotives! He now has a spur track in his yard
      and rents out his private cars for special events. Not to be out shinned, Tom
      invested in a full size 1:1 Dome liner car that he is now restoring in Detroit. It
      will have a full bar and galley plus all of the comforts of Las Vegas on a good
      day. Tom says it is no more expensive than a custom RV or boat and is a lot
      less hassel. So, if you want to go to your favorite function or the Super Bowl in
      style next year. Let me know and I know a guy who has a train to take you
      there.
      Rail Cheers,
      Jay Greer
    • Terry J.N. Rowsell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        >But here is the ringer. The neighbor also collects full
        > size trains complete with locomotives! He now has a spur track in
        his yard

        I can but dream... and that dream is why I have Z. I can watch a
        train go by whenever I want. :)
      • Terry J.N. Rowsell
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006