Radio Shack

  • David George
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      I have 3 stores within my area of roaming. All stores had friendly and nice staff. Two of the stores had knowledgeable people on tech stuff.
      That's not a bad average.
      Most stores are franchised.
      Mister Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2006
        Finally read the thread about Radio Shack. For the benefit of model Railroaders everywhere, I offer this advice: There are three things that
        you must do to get help from any employee of any chain store:

        1. 1 Realize that the employee probably does not share your passion for the hobby (Unfortunately, some smaller hobby shop employees also
        have a lack of passion, maybe only about your interests). This is the first hurdle.
        2. 2 Determine if presenting a challenge to the employee will stimulate those latent gray cells in their head.
        3. 3 Present your question in a way that will challenge the employee.

        Using these three steps is as important a hobby skill as determining which Magna-Matic coupler should replace the Marklin ones on your rolling
        stock. I have even successfully used this "tool" to get a Best Buy employee find parts that I used for my layout, even after I got the stock
        answer, "just what's out there." The only time this technique has not worked is when I skip step 2. It has also worked when talking with trade
        show reps when they say that Z is too small, but I sometimes have to add the phrase, "That's what they said about N twenty years ago, and HO 50
        years ago."

        -Rick

        p.s.: Anticipating the question "What did you get at Best Buy that you used for Z?", I answer with another question, "Don't you look at
        everyday items differently than non-hobbyists?"