Re: [Z_Scale] Considering Z scale

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
      All has been told here....And also myself I recommend
      the MTL GP35 and all the MTL stuff, unless your choice
      is modelling european, in which ase Marklin choice is
      obvious.

      I don't know for Marklin stuff, but what I can add
      here, is that the MTL GP35 allows real switching
      operations with its excellent very low speed
      characteristics. That's the reason why I consider it
      should be a waste to use it with a battery powered
      single speed controller...

      If you want to use a battery controller and you live
      in the US, indeed try the Lajos Thek controller (I've
      no stock in his company!<wink>).
      http://www.zthek.com

      If you live in Europe, I believe Jeremy Brandon in
      this group has also some interresting stuff (a
      modified Marklin controller) also working with a 9V
      battery (And I've no stock neither in his business).

      Hope this helps,

      Dominique

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi all, I consider closing the poll about
        Modelrailroader readers in our group within the next
        days; those who haven't voted yet and want to do it,
        please vote quickly!

        All the best,

        Dominique

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
          On Sad, 2006-04-01 at 01:37 +0000, jk12955 wrote:
          > I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
          > tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on
          > shelf in one of our closets.

          Well this can only be an "in my opinion/experience" answer 8)

          My experience is that Z layouts are longer or the same length as N
          albeit narrower. This is because Z scale pointwork is long and complex
          to keep the tiny models from derailing all the time.

          The basic Märklin sets are basically a "happy christmas" item with the
          expectation of purchasing more bits to make it useful. The bigger sets
          have a proper power controller a couple of points, control box and the
          like and are far better. They also tend to include something other than
          the awful little 0-6-0 that stalls all the time that is provided with
          Märklin's basic sets.

          The bigger Märklin locos are decent runners providing the track is well
          laid, especially the diesels, and I've found them to be extremely well
          made.

          If you are short of space also have a look through

          http://www.carendt.us/

          especialy the small layout scrap book and articles. Depending on your
          interest you may find some good ideas on small or modular layouts that
          take little room whatever the scale.

          Alan
        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
            In a message dated 4/1/06 3:52:24 AM, ddechamp71@... writes:

            > If you live in Europe, I believe Jeremy Brandon in
            > this group has also some interesting stuff (a
            > modified Marklin controller) also working with a 9 V
            > battery (And I've no stock neither in his business).

            Ztrack carries Jeremy's line of electronics. They are sold under the Jorger
            name. We carry his Delux speed controller as well as an upgrade kit for
            Marklin's 9volt battery controller. The upgrade give it speed control. For more
            information, visit the following link:

            http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_electronics.html

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.