Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin 88641 Diesellok BR361

  • Brian Redman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      On Mar 28, 2006, at 3:20 AM, bperumal2 wrote:

      > Hello, all,
      > I am looking for help to refit the gears in a Marklin 88641 that was
      > dumb enough to open up while cleaning. Whenever I try to put them in,
      > they jam up. I remember reading a long time ago in one of the messages
      > here that there was a sequence to do this.
      >
      > Does anyone remember how to do it? I tried searching for the message
      > with any success.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Peru

      Hello,

      This may be too late in coming, but I made a little video for you
      showing an 8864 being taken apart and put together. It's here:

      <http://z-world.com/videos/8864takeapart/>

      The crux of the matter regarding aligning the gears is a link at the
      bottom of that page to a short segment. Basically the method I used
      here is to rotate the forward wheel set back and drop in the
      intermediate gear so it causes that wheel set to rotate forward,
      towards the position I really want it, allowing the intermediate gear
      to seat in the process. I barely got it right on the video but I got
      lucky and things fell into place. There are probably at least as
      many different techniques as I have thumbs.

      I hope the visual aid may be of some use.

      As Dan perfectly put it, it's a matter patience and trial and error.

      brian
    • bperumal2
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
        Dan, thank you. Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your advise as I
        was travelling.

        I guess there is no easy way to do this.. and you are right. Only two
        wheelsets are connected and its already a big head and back ache!!

        Cheers.

        Peru

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@... wrote:

        > Peru,
        > The only secret is patience and trial and error. The pins that hold
        the push
        > rods MUST be in the same position for them not to bind. It involves
        tweaking
        > them a tooth at a time if necessary, until everything is lined up.
        The good
        > news is, If I remember correctly, that there are only two wheelsets
        connected
        > by the pushrods. Don't try it with a 2-10-0 without a beer in hand.
        > Best of luck,
        > Dan S.
      • bperumal2
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
          Brian, Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your advise as I was
          travelling.

          Thank you for the video. The video on aligning was very helpful.
          Personally, I think the problem is that I have a few too many thumbs
          and succeed in doing more harm than good!

          Again thank you.

          Peru