Considering Z scale

  • jk12955
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
      I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
      tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on a
      shelf in one of our closets. Obviously my choice is Marklin or Micro-
      Trains. Nothing elaborate so I'm leaning towards one of the Marklin
      starter gift sets with the portable 9 volt battery powerpack. I've
      asked the question at a few hobby shops and the answers were "no
      problem" or "it's a gimmick". Would I be really limiting myself doing
      that? I don't plan on creating a real large empire down the road,
      maybe a few other locos, some rolling stock, etc., both MT and
      Marklin. Not much into prototypical operations so speed doesn't
      matter. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • Terry J.N. Rowsell
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
        DO IT! Go Z! Nevertheless heed some advice.

        I learned the hard way that Marklin, though great stuff, does not
        run up to the standard of what we N scalers are used to! Do NOT
        limit yourself! The Markin portable 9 volt battery pack has no
        speed control. That's fine if you want to see something only ZIP
        FAST at one speed.

        I ordered the ZThek controller people rave about. It is also 9 volt
        and portable and apparently very fine and extremely smooth indeed,
        though mine has not arrived yet. The fellow that produces it, Lajos
        Thek, is active on this list and I am sure will answer any of your
        questions.

        I was in your shoes not long ago and took the great advice by folks
        here. I purchased a MTL GP-35 table top railroad set. It is great
        in and of itself and you can build from there if you like. So if
        you get a set get this one - it really is up to the high standard
        expected by N scalers. The couples work just about as well as in N
        and the loco is a gem, though I was not used to seeing an open
        pilot. I have seen this loco in pics with a closed pilot so I am
        sure fitting one is a sinch.

        Further about the MTL set... I simply am stunned at the detailing of
        the boxcars, etc. The track that came with it is very good and has
        the roadbed molded on. I always ballast my own so I will simply
        paint it and ballast over it. They have switchpoints coming on the
        horizon as well.

        Take my advice, unless you love european trains, go MTL. They
        apparently have a GP-9 coming out soon too.

        Anyway, my N seems big now, but I did scratchbuild a wooden trestle
        today in Z scale. It looks great and I had few problems. Only once
        or twice did a not nice word pass my lips, but any great modelling
        project worth its salt will have one or two of those.

        Hope this helps,
        Terry

        > I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
        > tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely
        on a
        > shelf in one of our closets.
      • Dave Hjortnaes
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jk12955" <jk12955@...> wrote:

          > I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
          > tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on
          > shelf in one of our closets. Obviously my choice is Marklin or
          Micro-
          > Trains. Nothing elaborate so I'm leaning towards one of the Marklin
          > starter gift sets with the portable 9 volt battery powerpack. I've
          > asked the question at a few hobby shops and the answers were "no
          > problem" or "it's a gimmick". Would I be really limiting myself
          doing
          > that? I don't plan on creating a real large empire down the road,
          > maybe a few other locos, some rolling stock, etc., both MT and
          > Marklin. Not much into prototypical operations so speed doesn't
          > matter. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank

          Terry is correct. Stay away from battery power unless you really have
          to, and then get a controller from Lajos. The Microtrains set is
          probably the way to go, unless you feel a need for European equipment.

          And take the time to buiild a cigar box layout. It's worth the fun.

          dave h.
        • Robert Toole
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
            You wont be disappointed. My trains are European as I began when I was stationed in Germany. There was a model club that modules, about 20 of them and I was really impressed. Living in military housing doesn't offer alot of space either. That was about 15 years ago and now retired I can take up a whole room if my wife lets me, ha, ha.
            If you follow this group, you will certainly learn alot and checking out the photos has helped me with my planning. There is a member here that also sells preformed layouts if you don't want to build something yourself. It's Frank Daniels and he goes by the name of www.zhobo.com. I met him 2 weeks ago at a train show here in So Cal.
            Happy training
            Robert

            jk12955 <jk12955@...> wrote:
            I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
            tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on a
            shelf in one of our closets. Obviously my choice is Marklin or Micro-
            Trains. Nothing elaborate so I'm leaning towards one of the Marklin
            starter gift sets with the portable 9 volt battery powerpack. I've
            asked the question at a few hobby shops and the answers were "no
            problem" or "it's a gimmick". Would I be really limiting myself doing
            that? I don't plan on creating a real large empire down the road,
            maybe a few other locos, some rolling stock, etc., both MT and
            Marklin. Not much into prototypical operations so speed doesn't
            matter. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

            G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

            ---------------------------------

          • Jay Greer
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
              Hello JK,
              I went from HO to N to Z. If I knew then what I know now, I would have
              never messed with those other scales.
              Cheers,
              Jay Greer
              on 3/31/06 17:37, jk12955 at jk12955@... wrote:

              > I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
              > tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on a
              > shelf in one of our closets. Obviously my choice is Marklin or Micro-
              > Trains. Nothing elaborate so I'm leaning towards one of the Marklin
              > starter gift sets with the portable 9 volt battery powerpack. I've
              > asked the question at a few hobby shops and the answers were "no
              > problem" or "it's a gimmick". Would I be really limiting myself doing
              > that? I don't plan on creating a real large empire down the road,
              > maybe a few other locos, some rolling stock, etc., both MT and
              > Marklin. Not much into prototypical operations so speed doesn't
              > matter. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

              > G scale model train
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=G+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+trai
              > n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sca
              > le+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=cXB1Ga_X2-zd9aMFU1yfUg> Ho scale
              > model train
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+tra
              > in&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sc
              > ale+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=TTPs3cRigKkiJFA5AnOMzg> Model train
              > n scale
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=G+scale+model+trai
              > n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sca
              > le+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=5hwQLjKDTyNn46FmsYmaNA>
              > Scale model train
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+train&
              > w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+scale
              > +model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=DGChfvgICl8aWrmpg-3t2A> Z scale model
              > train
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Z+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+trai
              > n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sca
              > le+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=asFDPOLBdnIdTvU0Xqmj9g> Z scale
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Z+scale&w1=G+scale+model+train&w2=Ho+scal
              > e+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+scale+model+tra
              > in&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=ZzEEY_L3TMKeiRW3T6PuXw>
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              > web.
              > *
              > *
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • John Duino
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
                Robert meant http://www.zscalehobo.com

                Z is growing fast and furious, to the point that collectors are starting
                to have to pick and choose (unless your name is Jim Manley..he just
                chooses the ALL option ;-) Great group of people, and this list
                contains some of the nicest, most helpful, and most talented individuals
                I've had the pleasure of conversing with in any hobby. Check a few of
                the other Z yahoo groups as well. I forget the exact names but there are
                ones devoted to scratch building, DCC, modules...the list continues.

                Review the archives, search the database, view the pics...if that
                doesn't sell you that Z is not only viable but incredible, then you're a
                very hard sell.

                Enjoy and welcome!

                John
              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                  All has been told here....And also myself I recommend
                  the MTL GP35 and all the MTL stuff, unless your choice
                  is modelling european, in which ase Marklin choice is
                  obvious.

                  I don't know for Marklin stuff, but what I can add
                  here, is that the MTL GP35 allows real switching
                  operations with its excellent very low speed
                  characteristics. That's the reason why I consider it
                  should be a waste to use it with a battery powered
                  single speed controller...

                  If you want to use a battery controller and you live
                  in the US, indeed try the Lajos Thek controller (I've
                  no stock in his company!<wink>).
                  http://www.zthek.com

                  If you live in Europe, I believe Jeremy Brandon in
                  this group has also some interresting stuff (a
                  modified Marklin controller) also working with a 9V
                  battery (And I've no stock neither in his business).

                  Hope this helps,

                  Dominique

                • de Champeaux Dominique
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                    Hi all, I consider closing the poll about
                    Modelrailroader readers in our group within the next
                    days; those who haven't voted yet and want to do it,
                    please vote quickly!

                    All the best,

                    Dominique

                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                      On Sad, 2006-04-01 at 01:37 +0000, jk12955 wrote:
                      > I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
                      > tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on
                      > shelf in one of our closets.

                      Well this can only be an "in my opinion/experience" answer 8)

                      My experience is that Z layouts are longer or the same length as N
                      albeit narrower. This is because Z scale pointwork is long and complex
                      to keep the tiny models from derailing all the time.

                      The basic Märklin sets are basically a "happy christmas" item with the
                      expectation of purchasing more bits to make it useful. The bigger sets
                      have a proper power controller a couple of points, control box and the
                      like and are far better. They also tend to include something other than
                      the awful little 0-6-0 that stalls all the time that is provided with
                      Märklin's basic sets.

                      The bigger Märklin locos are decent runners providing the track is well
                      laid, especially the diesels, and I've found them to be extremely well
                      made.

                      If you are short of space also have a look through

                      http://www.carendt.us/

                      especialy the small layout scrap book and articles. Depending on your
                      interest you may find some good ideas on small or modular layouts that
                      take little room whatever the scale.

                      Alan
                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                        In a message dated 4/1/06 3:52:24 AM, ddechamp71@... writes:

                        > If you live in Europe, I believe Jeremy Brandon in
                        > this group has also some interesting stuff (a
                        > modified Marklin controller) also working with a 9 V
                        > battery (And I've no stock neither in his business).

                        Ztrack carries Jeremy's line of electronics. They are sold under the Jorger
                        name. We carry his Delux speed controller as well as an upgrade kit for
                        Marklin's 9volt battery controller. The upgrade give it speed control. For more
                        information, visit the following link:

                        http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_electronics.html

                        Rob Kluz

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        http://www.ztrack.com/
                        Distributor for American Z Line

                      • Jim Glass
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Look at www.zscalehobo.com<http://www.zscalehobo.com/> for some ideas.

                          JimGl
                          Redmond, WA
                          I'm considering a Z scale layout since my wife is getting a little
                          tired of the N scale layout in our apartment. Z would fit nicely on a
                          shelf in one of our closets. <snip> Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.