Re: [Z_Scale] 9V Adaptors

  • william dunn
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31 10:50 AM
      I agree with Randy on the 7.2 volt rechargeable batteries. I got mine from Radion Shack and it lasts for days of constant use on my briefcase layout. It has plenty of power and I got a fast charger for the battery from the local radio control shop. It recharges the batter in 12 to 15 minutes.

      Bill D

      I think some folks have used the 7.2V rechargeable batteries for R/C cars as well. Still a battery, but a little more functional than 9V lead-acid batteries.

      > Randy
      >
      > John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
      > For my Joerger I purchased (at my local electronics store) a regulated supply with multiple output voltages. It's capable of 1A. I normally run it on the 7.2V setting and it compares favorably speed-wise with a fresh 9V battery.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • randy smidt
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31 11:06 AM
        AND it will still let you run trains where there is no power source available.

        william dunn <w.dunn@...> wrote: I agree with Randy on the 7.2 volt rechargeable batteries. I got mine from Radion Shack and it lasts for days of constant use on my briefcase layout. It has plenty of power and I got a fast charger for the battery from the local radio control shop. It recharges the batter in 12 to 15 minutes.

        Bill D

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31 11:16 AM
          Hello Steve,

          > I just purchased one of ZThek's fantastic Snail Speed Controllers. The
          > only problem I have is that my Marklin steamers drain the batteries
          > like crazy.

          those 9V batteries and also the rechargeable 9V batteries don't have a
          big load. The rechargeable 9V batteries have between 150 and max 300
          mAh. Whereas a AA rechargeable batterie has up to 2500 mAh.

          I use a batterie holder that holds six of those AA cells and has a
          clip like the 9V batteries (I don't know Radio Shack, but even if the
          statement about their personal is correct, they should be able to find
          them in their shop... ). So I can use AA batteries which have 1.5V
          each and add up to 9V, or the rechargeable AA batteries which have
          1.2V each and add up to 7.2V.

          I prefer the AA cells because if you can't get those, you can't get
          any batteries at all, and on the other hand they are used in a very
          wide range of items. So I have always enough replacements at hand.

          I also use this plug which has this switching function. If a adaptor
          is plugged in, it disconnect the battery, and if unplugged the battery
          is connected again.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31 11:37 AM
            John,
            You are correct in your analogy of Radio Shack personnel. I have yet to
            find anyone there who even understands or can explain the technical aspects
            of their product line. Indeed, I believe that, in order to qualify for
            employment there, applicants must show that they can hold a blank stare for
            at least three minutes!
            Regards,
            Jay

            on 3/31/06 10:31, John Duino at jduino@... wrote:

            > I believe generally what is preferred is a regulated power supply so that,
            > as Alan pointed out, it puts out a solid, smooth(er) 9V. For my Joerger I
            > purchased (at my local electronics store) a regulated supply with multiple
            > output voltages. It's capable of 1A. I normally run it on the 7.2V setting
            > and it compares favorably speed-wise with a fresh 9V battery.
            >
            > Also, rather than hardwiring it directly, I installed a plug/jack that
            > 'switches'...ie, if the plug is in, it uses the power supply, if not it
            > uses the battery. That gives me some flexibility in how I use it.
            >
            > Radio Shack - You have questions. We have blank stares.
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >
            > John
            >

            >> Hi Folks,
            >>
            >> I just purchased one of ZThek's fantastic Snail Speed Controllers. The
            >> only problem I have is that my Marklin steamers drain the batteries
            >> like crazy. I was thinking of attempting to convert the controller so
            >> that I could run it from an outlet, but when I went to Radio Shack
            >> last night I discovered they have a multitude of different 9V
            >> adaptors.
            >>
            >> The sales person 'recommended' a 9V 800mA adaptor. I'm no electrician,
            >> but I usually take their staff recommendations with more than a grain
            >> of salt. So I figured I'd come to the experts...
            >>
            >> Can anyone confirm this recommendation, or do you have a better
            >> suggestion. I'd rather get it right first time, than fry an expensive
            >> motor. Thanks for any words of wisdom.
            >>
            >> Steve

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            > web.
            > *
            > *
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Lajos Thek
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31 12:15 PM
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gibbs" <spiders_bane@...> wrote:

              > The sales person 'recommended' a 9V 800mA adaptor.

              It sounds correct, but even some regulated
              power supplies are capable to produce shocking
              results. Make sure you measure the actual
              output voltage, so it doesn't exceed 10V DC.
              In addition, you need to check the correct
              polarity of the power supply. And one more
              very important note. You need to install
              a 1000mF, min 16V (25V is safer) capacitor
              with the correct polarity.
              I'm not crazy about the multi-voltage adaptors,
              they have polarity change switch, an accidental
              polarity change most likely will kill your
              capacitor. Another common problem, they gave
              the most inaccurate voltage readings.

              Lajos
            • Steve Gibbs
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31 5:12 PM
                Thanks to all. The info was VERY helpful.

                Steve
              • loren snyder
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31 8:27 PM
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:

                  > John,
                  > You are correct in your analogy of Radio Shack personnel. I have
                  yet >to find anyone there who even understands or can explain the
                  technical >aspects of their product line. Indeed, I believe that, in
                  order to >qualify for employment there, applicants must show that they
                  can hold a >blank stare for at least three minutes!
                  > Regards,
                  > Jay

                  Jay,

                  Only three minutes? Medford, Oregon Radio Shack personnel can stand
                  still for 5 minutes, not move once, blink only twice, and take 3
                  breaths......They're #1
                  Radio Shack......land of the living dead!
                  Loren
                • Jay Greer
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31 9:40 PM
                    Loren,
                    I was trying to be kind!
                    Normally I would not complain. But, let me elaborate for a moment. Recently
                    I bought a multi meter at RADIO SHACK, took it home and found that it would
                    not function. I took it back to the store where I bought it. Two days had
                    passed. The salesman did not remember me. I explained the problem: ME: the
                    product does not work! HIM: You have installed the wrong batteries. Me: I
                    bought them from you they are brand new RADIO SHACK batteries. HIM: Then
                    they are worn out. ME: They are two days old and did not work from the
                    beginning. HIM: You will have to send it back and file a complaint! ME: Let
                    me speak to your manager. HIM; He is not here. ME: Give me my money back
                    or give me a new meter. HIM: I am not authorized to do that. ME: Please
                    honor my request or I will file a formal complaint to the home office
                    concerning your lack of professional attitude and assistance. HIM: Blank
                    stare. Followed by I will see what I can do. Later, I received a new meter
                    from the manager who was sitting on his ass in a back room!
                    That is one reason I don't care to deal with RADIO SHACK.
                    I could give you others but I am afraid I would not be using acceptable
                    language to describe my other experiences with them!
                    Enough!
                    Jay:

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 31 10:28 PM
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:

                      > Loren,
                      > I was trying to be kind!
                      > Normally I would not complain. But, let me elaborate for a moment.
                      >Recently I bought a multi meter at RADIO SHACK,.......snip

                      Jay,
                      And here all along we thought standing in line at the post office was
                      the ultimate bummer.........
                      Relating that to Z scale, (so as not to get trounced) your tale sort
                      of sounds like the typical attitude "some" hobby shop personnel take
                      when you ask about Z scale. I maintain that it is a matter of
                      educating the ignorant masses, and maybe also the biased.

                      I can't blame folks for being biased towards or against a product,
                      after all, aren't we Z scalers sort of biased? But not knowing your
                      product takes the cake in my book! I think we Z scalers have a little
                      more vision than some and we try to help each other out. Too bad the
                      store folks don't have that attitude.

                      Like Captain Kirk used to say,"going where no man has gone before"
                      Maybe some hobby shop employees should take that attitude,......I know
                      it wouldn't hurt for Radio Shack folks to "go there"

                      Personal service, the blessing or curse of the customer experience.
                      Loren
                    • Ellen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                        Jay

                        I recently returned a cold solder iron because it had shorted out.
                        No problem--they had none in stock so I got a gift card. I went in
                        several days later to use the card for a purchase and surprise there
                        was the returned soldering iron taped shut for sale. I'm sure the
                        next purchaser was disappointed to get a defective iron. All will
                        rise to their level of incompetence
                        Ellen
                        Indianapolis

                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale> " on the
                        > > web.
                        > > *
                        > > *
                        Service

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Loren,
                          I am sorry I took up space for a personnel rant concerning the lack of tact
                          and practical knowledge supplied by Radio Shack employees. I had a new, non
                          functioning, Märklin power pack that I was trying to test. Once the
                          multimeter was replaced, the test took only a minute or two. Getting a
                          working multimeter took several days and half a tank of gas plus a lot of
                          aggravation.
                          Cheers,
                          Jay

                          on 3/31/06 22:28, loren snyder at ljsnyder@... wrote:

                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Loren,
                          >> I was trying to be kind!
                          >> Normally I would not complain. But, let me elaborate for a moment.
                          >> Recently I bought a multi meter at RADIO SHACK,.......snip
                          >
                          > Jay,
                          > And here all along we thought standing in line at the post office was
                          > the ultimate bummer.........
                          > Relating that to Z scale, (so as not to get trounced) your tale sort
                          > of sounds like the typical attitude "some" hobby shop personnel take
                          > when you ask about Z scale. I maintain that it is a matter of
                          > educating the ignorant masses, and maybe also the biased.
                          >
                          > I can't blame folks for being biased towards or against a product,
                          > after all, aren't we Z scalers sort of biased? But not knowing your
                          > product takes the cake in my book! I think we Z scalers have a little
                          > more vision than some and we try to help each other out. Too bad the
                          > store folks don't have that attitude.
                          >
                          > Like Captain Kirk used to say,"going where no man has gone before"
                          > Maybe some hobby shop employees should take that attitude,......I know
                          > it wouldn't hurt for Radio Shack folks to "go there"
                          >
                          > Personal service, the blessing or curse of the customer experience.
                          > Loren

                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          > web.
                          > *
                          > *
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        • socalz44
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                            ---Jay, Nil ilicit corborundum. We've all had similar run-ins with
                            shop personel. You ought to bring up Z down here in a San Diego
                            Train/Hobby store and if you think the walking dead are at Radio
                            Shack or the post office you ain't seen nothin' yet! I enjoyed your
                            rant. I think we need to get the message count back up to average.
                            Keep smiling, Jim CCRR

                            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            > >
                            > > * Visit your group "z_scale
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale> " on the