Re: 9V Adaptors

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
      This should be all you need:
      http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
      productId=2049691&cp=&kw=1667&parentPage=search

      If that link doesn't work it is Radio Shack:
      Model: 273-1667
      Catalog #: 273-1667

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gibbs" <spiders_bane@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > I just purchased one of ZThek's fantastic Snail Speed Controllers.
      The
      > only problem I have is that my Marklin steamers drain the
      batteries
      > like crazy. I was thinking of attempting to convert the controller
      so
      > that I could run it from an outlet, but when I went to Radio Shack
      > last night I discovered they have a multitude of different 9V
      > adaptors.
      >
      > The sales person 'recommended' a 9V 800mA adaptor. I'm no
      electrician,
      > but I usually take their staff recommendations with more than a
      grain
      > of salt. So I figured I'd come to the experts...
      >
      > Can anyone confirm this recommendation, or do you have a better
      > suggestion. I'd rather get it right first time, than fry an
      expensive
      > motor. Thanks for any words of wisdom.
      >
      > Steve

    • william dunn
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
        I agree with Randy on the 7.2 volt rechargeable batteries. I got mine from Radion Shack and it lasts for days of constant use on my briefcase layout. It has plenty of power and I got a fast charger for the battery from the local radio control shop. It recharges the batter in 12 to 15 minutes.

        Bill D

        I think some folks have used the 7.2V rechargeable batteries for R/C cars as well. Still a battery, but a little more functional than 9V lead-acid batteries.

        > Randy
        >
        > John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
        > For my Joerger I purchased (at my local electronics store) a regulated supply with multiple output voltages. It's capable of 1A. I normally run it on the 7.2V setting and it compares favorably speed-wise with a fresh 9V battery.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • randy smidt
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
          AND it will still let you run trains where there is no power source available.

          william dunn <w.dunn@...> wrote: I agree with Randy on the 7.2 volt rechargeable batteries. I got mine from Radion Shack and it lasts for days of constant use on my briefcase layout. It has plenty of power and I got a fast charger for the battery from the local radio control shop. It recharges the batter in 12 to 15 minutes.

          Bill D

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
            Hello Steve,

            > I just purchased one of ZThek's fantastic Snail Speed Controllers. The
            > only problem I have is that my Marklin steamers drain the batteries
            > like crazy.

            those 9V batteries and also the rechargeable 9V batteries don't have a
            big load. The rechargeable 9V batteries have between 150 and max 300
            mAh. Whereas a AA rechargeable batterie has up to 2500 mAh.

            I use a batterie holder that holds six of those AA cells and has a
            clip like the 9V batteries (I don't know Radio Shack, but even if the
            statement about their personal is correct, they should be able to find
            them in their shop... ). So I can use AA batteries which have 1.5V
            each and add up to 9V, or the rechargeable AA batteries which have
            1.2V each and add up to 7.2V.

            I prefer the AA cells because if you can't get those, you can't get
            any batteries at all, and on the other hand they are used in a very
            wide range of items. So I have always enough replacements at hand.

            I also use this plug which has this switching function. If a adaptor
            is plugged in, it disconnect the battery, and if unplugged the battery
            is connected again.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
              John,
              You are correct in your analogy of Radio Shack personnel. I have yet to
              find anyone there who even understands or can explain the technical aspects
              of their product line. Indeed, I believe that, in order to qualify for
              employment there, applicants must show that they can hold a blank stare for
              at least three minutes!
              Regards,
              Jay

              on 3/31/06 10:31, John Duino at jduino@... wrote:

              > I believe generally what is preferred is a regulated power supply so that,
              > as Alan pointed out, it puts out a solid, smooth(er) 9V. For my Joerger I
              > purchased (at my local electronics store) a regulated supply with multiple
              > output voltages. It's capable of 1A. I normally run it on the 7.2V setting
              > and it compares favorably speed-wise with a fresh 9V battery.
              >
              > Also, rather than hardwiring it directly, I installed a plug/jack that
              > 'switches'...ie, if the plug is in, it uses the power supply, if not it
              > uses the battery. That gives me some flexibility in how I use it.
              >
              > Radio Shack - You have questions. We have blank stares.
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > John
              >

              >> Hi Folks,
              >>
              >> I just purchased one of ZThek's fantastic Snail Speed Controllers. The
              >> only problem I have is that my Marklin steamers drain the batteries
              >> like crazy. I was thinking of attempting to convert the controller so
              >> that I could run it from an outlet, but when I went to Radio Shack
              >> last night I discovered they have a multitude of different 9V
              >> adaptors.
              >>
              >> The sales person 'recommended' a 9V 800mA adaptor. I'm no electrician,
              >> but I usually take their staff recommendations with more than a grain
              >> of salt. So I figured I'd come to the experts...
              >>
              >> Can anyone confirm this recommendation, or do you have a better
              >> suggestion. I'd rather get it right first time, than fry an expensive
              >> motor. Thanks for any words of wisdom.
              >>
              >> Steve

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              > web.
              > *
              > *
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Lajos Thek
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gibbs" <spiders_bane@...> wrote:

                > The sales person 'recommended' a 9V 800mA adaptor.

                It sounds correct, but even some regulated
                power supplies are capable to produce shocking
                results. Make sure you measure the actual
                output voltage, so it doesn't exceed 10V DC.
                In addition, you need to check the correct
                polarity of the power supply. And one more
                very important note. You need to install
                a 1000mF, min 16V (25V is safer) capacitor
                with the correct polarity.
                I'm not crazy about the multi-voltage adaptors,
                they have polarity change switch, an accidental
                polarity change most likely will kill your
                capacitor. Another common problem, they gave
                the most inaccurate voltage readings.

                Lajos
              • Steve Gibbs
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                  Thanks to all. The info was VERY helpful.

                  Steve
                • loren snyder
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:

                    > John,
                    > You are correct in your analogy of Radio Shack personnel. I have
                    yet >to find anyone there who even understands or can explain the
                    technical >aspects of their product line. Indeed, I believe that, in
                    order to >qualify for employment there, applicants must show that they
                    can hold a >blank stare for at least three minutes!
                    > Regards,
                    > Jay

                    Jay,

                    Only three minutes? Medford, Oregon Radio Shack personnel can stand
                    still for 5 minutes, not move once, blink only twice, and take 3
                    breaths......They're #1
                    Radio Shack......land of the living dead!
                    Loren
                  • Jay Greer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                      Loren,
                      I was trying to be kind!
                      Normally I would not complain. But, let me elaborate for a moment. Recently
                      I bought a multi meter at RADIO SHACK, took it home and found that it would
                      not function. I took it back to the store where I bought it. Two days had
                      passed. The salesman did not remember me. I explained the problem: ME: the
                      product does not work! HIM: You have installed the wrong batteries. Me: I
                      bought them from you they are brand new RADIO SHACK batteries. HIM: Then
                      they are worn out. ME: They are two days old and did not work from the
                      beginning. HIM: You will have to send it back and file a complaint! ME: Let
                      me speak to your manager. HIM; He is not here. ME: Give me my money back
                      or give me a new meter. HIM: I am not authorized to do that. ME: Please
                      honor my request or I will file a formal complaint to the home office
                      concerning your lack of professional attitude and assistance. HIM: Blank
                      stare. Followed by I will see what I can do. Later, I received a new meter
                      from the manager who was sitting on his ass in a back room!
                      That is one reason I don't care to deal with RADIO SHACK.
                      I could give you others but I am afraid I would not be using acceptable
                      language to describe my other experiences with them!
                      Enough!
                      Jay:

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:

                        > Loren,
                        > I was trying to be kind!
                        > Normally I would not complain. But, let me elaborate for a moment.
                        >Recently I bought a multi meter at RADIO SHACK,.......snip

                        Jay,
                        And here all along we thought standing in line at the post office was
                        the ultimate bummer.........
                        Relating that to Z scale, (so as not to get trounced) your tale sort
                        of sounds like the typical attitude "some" hobby shop personnel take
                        when you ask about Z scale. I maintain that it is a matter of
                        educating the ignorant masses, and maybe also the biased.

                        I can't blame folks for being biased towards or against a product,
                        after all, aren't we Z scalers sort of biased? But not knowing your
                        product takes the cake in my book! I think we Z scalers have a little
                        more vision than some and we try to help each other out. Too bad the
                        store folks don't have that attitude.

                        Like Captain Kirk used to say,"going where no man has gone before"
                        Maybe some hobby shop employees should take that attitude,......I know
                        it wouldn't hurt for Radio Shack folks to "go there"

                        Personal service, the blessing or curse of the customer experience.
                        Loren
                      • Ellen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Jay

                          I recently returned a cold solder iron because it had shorted out.
                          No problem--they had none in stock so I got a gift card. I went in
                          several days later to use the card for a purchase and surprise there
                          was the returned soldering iron taped shut for sale. I'm sure the
                          next purchaser was disappointed to get a defective iron. All will
                          rise to their level of incompetence
                          Ellen
                          Indianapolis

                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale> " on the
                          > > web.
                          > > *
                          > > *
                          Service

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                            Loren,
                            I am sorry I took up space for a personnel rant concerning the lack of tact
                            and practical knowledge supplied by Radio Shack employees. I had a new, non
                            functioning, Märklin power pack that I was trying to test. Once the
                            multimeter was replaced, the test took only a minute or two. Getting a
                            working multimeter took several days and half a tank of gas plus a lot of
                            aggravation.
                            Cheers,
                            Jay

                            on 3/31/06 22:28, loren snyder at ljsnyder@... wrote:

                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Loren,
                            >> I was trying to be kind!
                            >> Normally I would not complain. But, let me elaborate for a moment.
                            >> Recently I bought a multi meter at RADIO SHACK,.......snip
                            >
                            > Jay,
                            > And here all along we thought standing in line at the post office was
                            > the ultimate bummer.........
                            > Relating that to Z scale, (so as not to get trounced) your tale sort
                            > of sounds like the typical attitude "some" hobby shop personnel take
                            > when you ask about Z scale. I maintain that it is a matter of
                            > educating the ignorant masses, and maybe also the biased.
                            >
                            > I can't blame folks for being biased towards or against a product,
                            > after all, aren't we Z scalers sort of biased? But not knowing your
                            > product takes the cake in my book! I think we Z scalers have a little
                            > more vision than some and we try to help each other out. Too bad the
                            > store folks don't have that attitude.
                            >
                            > Like Captain Kirk used to say,"going where no man has gone before"
                            > Maybe some hobby shop employees should take that attitude,......I know
                            > it wouldn't hurt for Radio Shack folks to "go there"
                            >
                            > Personal service, the blessing or curse of the customer experience.
                            > Loren

                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            > web.
                            > *
                            > *
                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • socalz44
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 1, 2006
                              ---Jay, Nil ilicit corborundum. We've all had similar run-ins with
                              shop personel. You ought to bring up Z down here in a San Diego
                              Train/Hobby store and if you think the walking dead are at Radio
                              Shack or the post office you ain't seen nothin' yet! I enjoyed your
                              rant. I think we need to get the message count back up to average.
                              Keep smiling, Jim CCRR

                              > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              > >
                              > > * Visit your group "z_scale
                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale> " on the