Auto CAD drafting and Prototypical Trains

  • cccpjjc
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 1:02 PM
      I will be offering AutoCAD services to anyone who would like to dip
      into the STL pool but doesn't have the computer background. If
      you've
      measured it, or you have the original Pullman/Budd blueprints (where
      are those anyway). If you're willing to depart from prototypical a
      bunch of good photos will do. I started this company to recoup my
      model's material costs but I would like to promote, less ownership of
      designs and more sharing. Can't take em with me, but I can leave a
      mess behind. This train took me personally about a year to complete
      production solo but the machine built MJM takes about 72hrs from
      drawing to model. A good drawing takes about 20hrs dedicated but the
      way computers work I never loose what's been drawn. So it will
      become easier and easier to
      develop modular components much the same way DPM kits work. You
      work out the real measurements Need the hood, the end or a window
      set why not start with a true, square part? I would love to work out
      engineering a base with adjustable truck centers for dummy cars
      (when I become unemployed.)

      The biggest drawback is cost, my HO scale MJM prototypes from Rapid
      3D Proto out of Round Lake IL, were about $90(,no affiliation just a
      quality local MJM builder.) I made the mistake of drawing out the
      prototypical fuse box and air vents grab iron dents, much of which
      is just lost in N but stunning in HO but because the prototypes have
      the texture of twill fabric some finishing is needed. Hood vents or
      fans or access doors are still better done with a BLM etched kit,
      and in no way are these pieces an end in themselves but a means to
      an end. Depending on detail a shell would start at about $60 for a
      basic N or Z shell or a nutty $120 for HO.

      I can reproduce my trains now, in resin for about $10/per shell on a
      run of 10-20. Total dev cost about $600 for 25 N train kits; shell,
      base with seats and internal detail, motive upgrades, HO adds an
      extra couple hundred due to a volume principal, double a solid's
      dimensions and the volume is increased eight fold. Not bad, though,
      if you intend to sell resin shells online or want to run a proto
      commuter consis.

      Second drawback is the MJM prototype is relatively fragile so I
      frequently broke off the expensive detail in N scale man-handling
      or watching
      it launch from a helix, these are process models. HO scale creates
      a good strong shell but won't take the beating a plastic shell will
      (I can load it with 20lbs on its side and the shell flexes without
      breaking (you would need a broom if you did that with the N scale
      MJM)

      One big positive is the drawings are at 1:1 scalable to any size,
      you want Z, Larry wants N, Mo wants HO and when I retire I'll
      scratch build Shemp some 1:12.

      My goal to barter AutoCAD drafting services for prototype
      measurements and concepts for production. If you are an
      entrepreneur who wishes to start a product line, I will exchange the
      drafting of your design for a single prototype. Start prototypical
      end prototypically.

      Please feel free to contact me off-group for any, and surely too
      much, information at cccpjjc@... (sorry for the cross posts)

      Jack Castello
      Chicago Commuter Cab Prototypes