Re: Power Pack Question

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
      Merci Dominique,

      My Tech II is indeed pulse so maybe I should not use it as a
      precaution. I believet that I will be wanting to go DCC anyway but
      for now I need a simple pack and Jay Greer suggested the Lajos Theck
      Snail Speed Controller which looks very good but may be more
      suitable to very small layouts (???).

      For DCC I know that Digitrax has some decoders suggested for Z. Is
      their power system suitable, do you know?

      Thanks,
      Terry

      -- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

      ______
      > Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez
      les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
      > Téléchargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

    • soyboy
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:

        > Terry,
        > At the Pomona Show last week end I saw how effective and smooth the control
        > of Lajos Theck's Snail Speed Controller is. So much so that I am going to
        > buy one ASAP. You can see a video of it on line at http://www.zthek.com/
        > Cheers,
        > Jay Greer, Trax Inc.

        Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't recommend pulse power for
        F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i did see the video and it
        looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!
      • loren snyder
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "soyboy" <soyboy@...> wrote:

          > Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't
          recommend pulse power for
          > F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i
          did see the video and it
          > looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!

          FYI, MTL is planning on including the snail controller in the starter
          sets eventually, so don't worry about cooking your locos.
          Loren
        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
            In a message dated 3/1/2006 10:09:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            soyboy@... writes:

            Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't recommend
            pulse power for
            F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i did see
            the video and it
            looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!

            There are different kinds of pulse power. Some are harmful, some are not. MT
            is just playing it safe in their disclaimer.
            Dan S.

          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "soyboy" <soyboy@...> wrote:

              > Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't
              recommend pulse power for F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and
              cooking my engines. i did see the video and it looks neat. I do want
              one of the switchers too!

              Hi Soy,

              The HO and N pulse power packs had 18 volt spikes. (pulses) The Snail
              Speed Controller uses a 9 volt battery as its power source. I am not
              electronicly sophisticated but, if it is pulse powered, it probably
              does not send spikes that would harm the Z scale motors.

              Bill H.
              El Toro, CA
            • Phil
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
                I actually asked this very same question when I got my first MTL
                F7. The response was that the snailspeed controller is safe to use
                as the pulses don't go over the 9V maximum recommended for z scale
                engines. The pulse power that they were referring to was the pulse
                power packs in which the voltage exceeds the 9V. That's what cooks
                the engine.

                So if you like it, don't be afraid to buy one, it's perfectly safe.
                I've used mine with my MTL F7 and on my AZL too.

                - Phil

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "soyboy" <soyboy@...> wrote:

                > Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't
                recommend pulse power for
                > F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i
                did see the video and it
                > looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                  > For DCC I know that Digitrax has some decoders
                  > suggested for Z. Is
                  > their power system suitable, do you know?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Terry

                  Unfortunately I'm not yet in the process of DCC, so
                  I'm unable to give you an answer.
                  Dom