Power Pack Question

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      Besides Marklin, are there recommended power packs for Z?

      I have a Tech II power pack I used to use for N. I know that I can
      only turn it up so high so I have used a voltmeter and marked that
      spot. Beyond that is the power pack safe? It seems to run the trains
      fine.

      Cheers,
      Terry
    • Jay Greer
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
        Terry,
        At the Pomona Show last week end I saw how effective and smooth the control
        of Lajos Theck's Snail Speed Controller is. So much so that I am going to
        buy one ASAP. You can see a video of it on line at http://www.zthek.com/
        Cheers,
        Jay Greer, Trax Inc.

        on 3/1/06 11:17, Terry J.N. Rowsell at terryrowsell@... wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Besides Marklin, are there recommended power packs for Z?
        >
        > I have a Tech II power pack I used to use for N. I know that I can
        > only turn it up so high so I have used a voltmeter and marked that
        > spot. Beyond that is the power pack safe? It seems to run the trains
        > fine.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Terry

        > G scale model train
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=G+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+trai
        > n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sca
        > le+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=cXB1Ga_X2-zd9aMFU1yfUg> Ho scale
        > model train
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+tra
        > in&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sc
        > ale+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=TTPs3cRigKkiJFA5AnOMzg> Model train
        > n scale
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Model+train+n+scale&w1=G+scale+model+trai
        > n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sca
        > le+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=5hwQLjKDTyNn46FmsYmaNA>
        > Scale model train
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+train&
        > w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+scale
        > +model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=DGChfvgICl8aWrmpg-3t2A> Z scale model
        > train
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Z+scale+model+train&w1=G+scale+model+trai
        > n&w2=Ho+scale+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+sca
        > le+model+train&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=asFDPOLBdnIdTvU0Xqmj9g> Z scale
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Z+scale&w1=G+scale+model+train&w2=Ho+scal
        > e+model+train&w3=Model+train+n+scale&w4=Scale+model+train&w5=Z+scale+model+tra
        > in&w6=Z+scale&c=6&s=137&.sig=ZzEEY_L3TMKeiRW3T6PuXw>
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        > web.
        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- "Terry J.N. Rowsell" <terryrowsell@...> a
          écrit :

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > Besides Marklin, are there recommended power packs
          > for Z?
          >
          > I have a Tech II power pack I used to use for N. I
          > know that I can
          > only turn it up so high so I have used a voltmeter
          > and marked that
          > spot. Beyond that is the power pack safe? It seems
          > to run the trains
          > fine.

          Hi Terry, as far as I know, besides Marklin there
          isn't any powerpack that gives only 8 volts DC.

          So if you want to be sure not to exceed the
          recommanded voltage indeed it' s worth to use a
          voltmeter.

          BTW, average Z locos are pretty fast under 8 volts
          (except maybe the MTL F7). That means that if you
          wan't to operate your trains under a prototypical
          speed (especially on switching operations) you'll be
          far from the 8, 9 or 10 volts limit (depending on the
          model and manufacturer).

          That said, all I've heard and what myself I stick on,
          is that one has to avoid pulse power, that should lead
          to engine overheating with their tiny motors.

          So when choosing a power pack, you have to ensure with
          the dealer it's not pulse power technology.

          Dominique

        • Terry J.N. Rowsell
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
            Merci Dominique,

            My Tech II is indeed pulse so maybe I should not use it as a
            precaution. I believet that I will be wanting to go DCC anyway but
            for now I need a simple pack and Jay Greer suggested the Lajos Theck
            Snail Speed Controller which looks very good but may be more
            suitable to very small layouts (???).

            For DCC I know that Digitrax has some decoders suggested for Z. Is
            their power system suitable, do you know?

            Thanks,
            Terry

            -- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

            ______
            > Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez
            les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
            > Téléchargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
              > Besides Marklin, are there recommended power packs for Z?

              Terry,
              The MRC 1300 by MTL is a good choice.
              Loren
            • soyboy
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jay Greer <redwitch1@...> wrote:

                > Terry,
                > At the Pomona Show last week end I saw how effective and smooth the control
                > of Lajos Theck's Snail Speed Controller is. So much so that I am going to
                > buy one ASAP. You can see a video of it on line at http://www.zthek.com/
                > Cheers,
                > Jay Greer, Trax Inc.

                Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't recommend pulse power for
                F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i did see the video and it
                looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!
              • loren snyder
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "soyboy" <soyboy@...> wrote:

                  > Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't
                  recommend pulse power for
                  > F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i
                  did see the video and it
                  > looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!

                  FYI, MTL is planning on including the snail controller in the starter
                  sets eventually, so don't worry about cooking your locos.
                  Loren
                • dpstripe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                    In a message dated 3/1/2006 10:09:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    soyboy@... writes:

                    Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't recommend
                    pulse power for
                    F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and cooking my engines. i did see
                    the video and it
                    looks neat. I do want one of the switchers too!

                    There are different kinds of pulse power. Some are harmful, some are not. MT
                    is just playing it safe in their disclaimer.
                    Dan S.

                  • Bill Hoshiko
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "soyboy" <soyboy@...> wrote:

                      > Isn't the snail controller pulse power technology? MTL doesn't
                      recommend pulse power for F7's and GP35s. So I'm wary of buying it and
                      cooking my engines. i did see the video and it looks neat. I do want
                      one of the switchers too!

                      Hi Soy,

                      The HO and N pulse power packs had 18 volt spikes. (pulses) The Snail
                      Speed Controller uses a 9 volt battery as its power source. I am not
                      electronicly sophisticated but, if it is pulse powered, it probably
                      does not send spikes that would harm the Z scale motors.

                      Bill H.
                      El Toro, CA
                    • Phil
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
                        I actually asked this very same question when I got my first MTL
                        F7. The response was that the snailspeed controller is safe to use
                        as the pulses don't go over the 9V maximum recommended for z scale
                        engines. The pulse power that they were referring to was the pulse
                        power packs in which the voltage exceeds the 9V. That's what cooks
                        the engine.

                        So if you like it, don't be afraid to buy one, it's perfectly safe.
                        I've used mine with my MTL F7 and on my AZL too.

                        - Phil

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                          > For DCC I know that Digitrax has some decoders
                          > suggested for Z. Is
                          > their power system suitable, do you know?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Terry

                          Unfortunately I'm not yet in the process of DCC, so
                          I'm unable to give you an answer.
                          Dom