Re: Magnetic uncoupler placement question

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      Now the REAL philosophical question is if a Z scale train falls off
      the track in the forest does anyone hear?

      Seriously though, to follow your train of thought (pun intended) you
      know that when I was considering this scale I was dubious. I now
      believe that through a decent and growing range of good products
      this scale has a good future.

      I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
      leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
      take off the shell and plug in a little decoder. You have mentioned
      offline that it will come and we must have patience. You are right
      about that but the revolution easy DCC has had on the other scales
      has been enormous. I can't say enough about it. Perhaps there are
      folks drawn to Z but steer to N because of easy cheezy DCC. Once
      you have operated with DCC you will never want to go back.

      But I will wait patiently. :) I am still learning this new scale
      for me. And it is getting better day by day.

      Cheers,
      Terry

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        In a message dated 3/1/06 11:40:57 AM, terryrowsell@... writes:

        > I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
        > leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
        > take off the shell and plug in a little decoder

        The scale is already there. AZL's F59PHI run has a prewired, insulated pocket
        for a drop in decoder. It doesn't get much easier to add DCC to the run! All
        runs since the SD45 have come with a prewired slot to add DCC. The slot is not
        insulated, but it works. To see how to add a decoder to the locomotives,
        check out this link:

        http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm

        Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not working.

        True, MTL and Marklin locos are not DCC ready at this time, but the MTL GP35
        should be close. The new line of AZL locos will also be DCC ready. From the
        drawing I have seen, it should be very simple.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • Don
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          If you are running FireFox, the "translate" extension will translate the
          page into English in less than a second.

          Don

          > I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
          > leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
          > take off the shell and plug in a little decoder

          The scale is already there. AZL's F59PHI run has a prewired, insulated
          pocket
          for a drop in decoder. It doesn't get much easier to add DCC to the run!
          All
          runs since the SD45 have come with a prewired slot to add DCC. The slot
          is not
          insulated, but it works. To see how to add a decoder to the locomotives,

          check out this link:

          http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm

          Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
          working.

          True, MTL and Marklin locos are not DCC ready at this time, but the MTL
          GP35
          should be close. The new line of AZL locos will also be DCC ready. From
          the
          drawing I have seen, it should be very simple.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com

        • Jim Glass
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
            As does Google and IE 7.
            JimGl
            Redmond, WA

            > If you are running FireFox, the "translate" extension will translate the
            > page into English in less than a second.
            >
            > Don

            SNIP
            > check out this link:
            >
            > http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm
            >
            > Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
            > working.
            SNIP
          • bambukouk
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
              > http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm
              > Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
              working.

              what's wrong? with:
              http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/English/Digital4.htm
              works OK for me and is in English...