Re: Magnetic uncoupler placement question

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      Thanks Dominique,

      I guess my N scale past will help. I put all magnets under
      straights in N as well. It is not so important to do so if you
      truck mount your couplers but I have discovered that MTL body-mount
      which is way better in preventing derailments.

      I'll have straights in my plan.

      Cheers,
      Terry

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

      ______
      > Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez
      les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
      > Téléchargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

    • Terry J.N. Rowsell
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Now the REAL philosophical question is if a Z scale train falls off
        the track in the forest does anyone hear?

        Seriously though, to follow your train of thought (pun intended) you
        know that when I was considering this scale I was dubious. I now
        believe that through a decent and growing range of good products
        this scale has a good future.

        I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
        leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
        take off the shell and plug in a little decoder. You have mentioned
        offline that it will come and we must have patience. You are right
        about that but the revolution easy DCC has had on the other scales
        has been enormous. I can't say enough about it. Perhaps there are
        folks drawn to Z but steer to N because of easy cheezy DCC. Once
        you have operated with DCC you will never want to go back.

        But I will wait patiently. :) I am still learning this new scale
        for me. And it is getting better day by day.

        Cheers,
        Terry

      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          In a message dated 3/1/06 11:40:57 AM, terryrowsell@... writes:

          > I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
          > leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
          > take off the shell and plug in a little decoder

          The scale is already there. AZL's F59PHI run has a prewired, insulated pocket
          for a drop in decoder. It doesn't get much easier to add DCC to the run! All
          runs since the SD45 have come with a prewired slot to add DCC. The slot is not
          insulated, but it works. To see how to add a decoder to the locomotives,
          check out this link:

          http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm

          Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not working.

          True, MTL and Marklin locos are not DCC ready at this time, but the MTL GP35
          should be close. The new line of AZL locos will also be DCC ready. From the
          drawing I have seen, it should be very simple.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com

        • Don
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
            If you are running FireFox, the "translate" extension will translate the
            page into English in less than a second.

            Don

            > I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
            > leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
            > take off the shell and plug in a little decoder

            The scale is already there. AZL's F59PHI run has a prewired, insulated
            pocket
            for a drop in decoder. It doesn't get much easier to add DCC to the run!
            All
            runs since the SD45 have come with a prewired slot to add DCC. The slot
            is not
            insulated, but it works. To see how to add a decoder to the locomotives,

            check out this link:

            http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm

            Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
            working.

            True, MTL and Marklin locos are not DCC ready at this time, but the MTL
            GP35
            should be close. The new line of AZL locos will also be DCC ready. From
            the
            drawing I have seen, it should be very simple.

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com

          • Jim Glass
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
              As does Google and IE 7.
              JimGl
              Redmond, WA

              > If you are running FireFox, the "translate" extension will translate the
              > page into English in less than a second.
              >
              > Don

              SNIP
              > check out this link:
              >
              > http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm
              >
              > Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
              > working.
              SNIP
            • bambukouk
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                > http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm
                > Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
                working.

                what's wrong? with:
                http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/English/Digital4.htm
                works OK for me and is in English...