Magnetic uncoupler placement question

  • Terry J.N. Rowsell
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi group,

      Being new to Z I am wondering a couple things about magnet placement
      for MTL auto-uncoupling. In larger scales I have both placed magnets
      under the track in the roadbed and also visibly between the rails
      (where I sometimes "hid" them by making them part of a road crossing
      of some sort).

      In Z which works better? What are your thoughts? Does someone make
      a magnet for between the rails?

      On another note I attended a thoeological discussion last week at the
      University where the phylisophical Biblical concept that "the first
      shall be last" was discussed in relation to the haves and have nots
      of society. What does this have to do with Z you may ask?

      Well the thought struck me that as Z is both the last letter of the
      alphabet and in a way viewed by some as the "meek" little brother of
      the larger more "popular" scales, then the Biblical analogy stands
      and Z, being the "last", therefore will become the FIRST! ;) I
      snickered out loud at my phylisophical model railroad analogy and
      people kind of glared at me. Oops! I really was paying attention!
      Really I was!

      I am odd sometimes I admit.

      Cheers,
      Terry
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
        On Maw, 2006-02-28 at 17:37 +0000, Terry J.N. Rowsell wrote:
        > Well the thought struck me that as Z is both the last letter of the
        > alphabet and in a way viewed by some as the "meek" little brother of
        > the larger more "popular" scales, then the Biblical analogy stands
        > and Z, being the "last",

        Not any more. The Japanese have some limited "ZZ" scale 1:300 models
        now.
      • loren snyder
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Terry J.N. Rowsell"
          <terryrowsell@...> wrote:

          > Hi group,
          >Z is both the last letter of the alphabet and in a way viewed by some
          >as the "meek" little brother of the larger more "popular" scales,
          >then the Biblical analogy stands and Z, being the "last", therefore
          will become the FIRST! ;)
          > Cheers,
          > Terry

          Terry,

          Kind of tongue in cheek, but Matthew 5:5 does say that "the meek shall
          inherit the earth" If that Biblical quote can be applied to trains,
          then Z, being meek as you say, shall end up dominating the train
          world. Therefore Z will rule the world! Not a bad idea as far as
          trains go, eh?

          Loren
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
            --- "Terry J.N. Rowsell" <terryrowsell@...> a
            écrit :

            > Hi group,
            >
            > Being new to Z I am wondering a couple things about
            > magnet placement
            > for MTL auto-uncoupling. In larger scales I have
            > both placed magnets
            > under the track in the roadbed and also visibly
            > between the rails
            > (where I sometimes "hid" them by making them part of
            > a road crossing
            > of some sort).
            >
            > In Z which works better? What are your thoughts?
            > Does someone make
            > a magnet for between the rails?
            >
            > On another note I attended a thoeological discussion
            > last week at the
            > University where the phylisophical Biblical concept
            > that "the first
            > shall be last" was discussed in relation to the
            > haves and have nots
            > of society. What does this have to do with Z you
            > may ask?
            >
            > Well the thought struck me that as Z is both the
            > last letter of the
            > alphabet and in a way viewed by some as the "meek"
            > little brother of
            > the larger more "popular" scales, then the Biblical
            > analogy stands
            > and Z, being the "last", therefore will become the
            > FIRST! ;) I
            > snickered out loud at my phylisophical model
            > railroad analogy and
            > people kind of glared at me. Oops! I really was
            > paying attention!
            > Really I was!
            >
            > I am odd sometimes I admit.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Terry

            Hi Terry, sorry to interrupt all these philosophical
            thoughts! About your question, the only issue is that
            there is no choice: the only available magnet
            uncouplers (Micro-Trains) are too wide to be inserted
            between rails (unless you're able to cut them in the
            lenght way).

            So the only way to follow is to insert them below the
            track. Maybe more than with broader scales, they must
            be inserted below straight sections. I've put some in
            a small diorama dedicated to switching, on which I'm
            using broad curves, not less than R=490mm (20")
            radius. And even under these curves, they don't work
            exactly like I should have hoped.

            Thus there is a way to improve them: putting
            underneath an electric operated wire coil (there have
            been articles about this a while ago in both Z Track
            and Model Railroader, sorry I don't remember the
            issues) that increases the magnetic field.

            Dominique

          • Terry J.N. Rowsell
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
              Thanks Dominique,

              I guess my N scale past will help. I put all magnets under
              straights in N as well. It is not so important to do so if you
              truck mount your couplers but I have discovered that MTL body-mount
              which is way better in preventing derailments.

              I'll have straights in my plan.

              Cheers,
              Terry

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique

              ______
              > Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez
              les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
              > Téléchargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

            • Terry J.N. Rowsell
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                Now the REAL philosophical question is if a Z scale train falls off
                the track in the forest does anyone hear?

                Seriously though, to follow your train of thought (pun intended) you
                know that when I was considering this scale I was dubious. I now
                believe that through a decent and growing range of good products
                this scale has a good future.

                I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
                leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
                take off the shell and plug in a little decoder. You have mentioned
                offline that it will come and we must have patience. You are right
                about that but the revolution easy DCC has had on the other scales
                has been enormous. I can't say enough about it. Perhaps there are
                folks drawn to Z but steer to N because of easy cheezy DCC. Once
                you have operated with DCC you will never want to go back.

                But I will wait patiently. :) I am still learning this new scale
                for me. And it is getting better day by day.

                Cheers,
                Terry

              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                  In a message dated 3/1/06 11:40:57 AM, terryrowsell@... writes:

                  > I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
                  > leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
                  > take off the shell and plug in a little decoder

                  The scale is already there. AZL's F59PHI run has a prewired, insulated pocket
                  for a drop in decoder. It doesn't get much easier to add DCC to the run! All
                  runs since the SD45 have come with a prewired slot to add DCC. The slot is not
                  insulated, but it works. To see how to add a decoder to the locomotives,
                  check out this link:

                  http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm

                  Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not working.

                  True, MTL and Marklin locos are not DCC ready at this time, but the MTL GP35
                  should be close. The new line of AZL locos will also be DCC ready. From the
                  drawing I have seen, it should be very simple.

                  Rob Kluz

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  www.ztrack.com

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                    If you are running FireFox, the "translate" extension will translate the
                    page into English in less than a second.

                    Don

                    > I know I keep beating the dead horse but that future will take a
                    > leap forward when locos come DCC ready, when all you have to do is
                    > take off the shell and plug in a little decoder

                    The scale is already there. AZL's F59PHI run has a prewired, insulated
                    pocket
                    for a drop in decoder. It doesn't get much easier to add DCC to the run!
                    All
                    runs since the SD45 have come with a prewired slot to add DCC. The slot
                    is not
                    insulated, but it works. To see how to add a decoder to the locomotives,

                    check out this link:

                    http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm

                    Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
                    working.

                    True, MTL and Marklin locos are not DCC ready at this time, but the MTL
                    GP35
                    should be close. The new line of AZL locos will also be DCC ready. From
                    the
                    drawing I have seen, it should be very simple.

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com

                  • Jim Glass
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                      As does Google and IE 7.
                      JimGl
                      Redmond, WA

                      > If you are running FireFox, the "translate" extension will translate the
                      > page into English in less than a second.
                      >
                      > Don

                      SNIP
                      > check out this link:
                      >
                      > http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm
                      >
                      > Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
                      > working.
                      SNIP
                    • bambukouk
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                        > http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/Digital4.htm
                        > Unfortunately, the link to the English version of the page is not
                        working.

                        what's wrong? with:
                        http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/English/Digital4.htm
                        works OK for me and is in English...