Re: Noisy GP 35

  • Adam Amick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      Jim,

      Any chance a piece of ballast got sucked up into the gears?

      Sounds to me like you're going to need to do some disassembly and
      inspection. I haven't gone that far with any of my geeps yet, so I
      can't really advise you further. Just be very careful with the drive
      shafts.

      Otherwise, maybe Rob Ray or Joe D'Amato can advise.

      Adam

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...> wrote:

      > My GP 35 has developed a noisy grinding sound, worse going forward,
      > better in reverse. I seem to recall someone providing a solution to
      > this problem but I can't recall it or find the answer. Can ayone
      help
      > me?

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
        --- Adam Amick <aa5821@...> a écrit :

        > Jim,
        >
        > Any chance a piece of ballast got sucked up into the
        > gears?

        I don't think so: according to my experience, such a
        desease leads simply to a stalled engine: I
        experienced that a few weeks ago with my brand new UP
        Geep, and I had to take it apart. Unfortunately I
        didn't discover anything (as my workbench lighting is
        pretty....light!) so I had to lend my unit to my local
        hobby shop, where folks dicovered a bunch of ballast
        grains embedded in the gears (strange that I didn't
        see anything myself...). they cleaned it completely
        and now it runs again flawlessly (a chance that my
        engine's motor was not fried...).

        That's why I purchased a computer cleaner (simply a
        compressed air spray can) I operate on my diorama
        before every use, in order to avoid frying my little
        gems motors.

        I highly recommand this device, unless, at the
        opposite of me, you are ballast laying masters of
        arts.

        Dominique