Hey Michael, what are you working on these days?

  • Michael Hilliard
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 26, 2006
      The subject line is a question Robert Ray asked in z_scale chat this afternoon (Sun.). I was away from my computer when the question was asked, off to the store for ginger ale and chicken broth. I guess that answers the question simply. I haven't been feeling well since Wed., that's why I wasn't in Wed. night chat as usual. So I haven't been working on anything in almost a week, except trying to recover.

      Call me crazy, but after the Amherst Railway Society show at the end of January, I've become obzessed with the persuit of detail in Z. Also from some of the amazing works I've seen our members share lately. I bought a Micro Strucures Z rural train station kit that I first saw at the train show and was working on it the week before this. I should be working on crossing gates, but I saw this station and thought it would fit just right next to my grade crossing with gates that I want to rip up the original wood/plaster grade crossing and replace it with a stryene base that the station and parking lot will be mounted on and match the station's sidewalks, around the parking lot.

      The station is almost finished, just needs lights inside and out, including the phone booth, and final assembly and window glasing. I want it fully lit so even in black-out conditions, the l.e.d. lighting will still provide light to the photo-transistors to operate the crossing signals/gates automaticly. Which brings up another chat topic today, marklin 601227 lights which Robert Ray and Rob Kluz were disscussing, I was away at the time. I could use some of the same to light up my parking lot and also provide additional light source for the photo-transistors. Robert was talking about making his own that are not as fragile as the marklin ones, the only part to be worked out was the lamp shade. Years ago I used jewelry rhinestone stamped brass settings for lampshades, though they were oversized for Z, but they looked ok. I'm a lot pickier these days, so I'd rather make a true to Z shade in cast brass, I'd just need acurate measurments. If willing to finish yourself from a rough
      casting, this would only take about 2-3 weeks, unfinished. Of course it would delay gate shipment as well, zorry.

      I want to detail this little scene as well as a Z locomotive or rolling stock. I guess I'm working on the trackside "these days", even if it's beside the mainlines. I better retire for the night, I'll share more later and if anyone responds. All the bezt,

      Michael Hilliard

    • Michael Hilliard